Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because when you argue how 5th is no better than 11th you throw cup results in that have absolutely NO bearing on league placings.

And all the matches we've lost have been in the league - The ONLY indicator of a season.
I'm told we dont get results this season. The I produced the data refuting that, then the goalposts get moved.
plus ca change.

I agree but for people to say he taking us backwards when were half way through a season and seem convinced that we will finish 11th is mad. Plus were in a cup semi

Our form is poor mate. It has been for the last 18 months. If the form continues then we are on course for a bottom half finish. With the players we have, this is a massive case of underperforming. I'm glad we are in a league cup semi-final, but that is what it is, a league cup semi-final, it's not some kind of massive achievement.

Trying to use those stats with any kind of gravitas or authority when arguing about our performance in the league is silly.
They aren't a fair reflection of the situation at hand.
That's your viewpoint.

When the season's history is written up there'll be no differentiation between competition when the overall assessment comes.

It's like saying you dont deserve to win the FA Cup if you only play one PL team to get it. Ridiculous.

That's your definition, not that of most people.

You can subdivide a season's results by competition, but the standard is to include all competitive matches.

Who's standard? I didn't notice they added cup results in to the league table last time I looked at it.

You look at competition results individually because it gives you a fair reflection of results. The premier league is a harder competition than the cups as you're always playing top level opposition.

It's nice to do well in the cups but including cup results while everyone is talking about league performance is just trying to manipulate the figures to make things look better. You're just undermining your own stance by playing with numbers to back up your own beliefs.

I'm pro RM and agree with a lot of your posts but you're undermining yourself as much as some anti RM's do by twisting stats.

That's your viewpoint.

When the season's history is written up there'll be no differentiation between competition when the overall assessment comes.

It's like saying you dont deserve to win the FA Cup if you only play one PL team to get it. Ridiculous.
It really isn't Dave.
Also, when you assess the success or lack thereof of something, it is common to split up the assessment into a few compartments as well as looking at the overall success.
So distinguishing between results in the league and cups is in fact common sense.

We've performed below our capabilities in the league so far and as such haven't got the results we've needed.
We need to start picking up wins.

Why would that be then?

I getsya now... You think we won't win anything...Coming 5th-11th is nowhere. Not winning a cup will be soon forgotten and have no bearing....

I dont get that.

Playing dumb again? Or just haven't got the courage to admit you've been rumbled again? It's all there in black & white, I'll leave others to make of it what they will; and there seems to be only you disagreeing with several people on what the perameters are.....

Who's standard? I didn't notice they added cup results in to the league table last time I looked at it.
You look at competition results individually because it gives you a fair reflection of results. The premier league is a harder competition than the cups as you're always playing top level opposition.
It's nice to do well in the cups but including cup results while everyone is talking about league performance is just trying to manipulate the figures to make things look better. You're just undermining your own stance by playing with numbers to back up your own beliefs.

I'm pro RM and agree with a lot of your posts but you're undermining yourself as much as some anti RM's do by twisting stats.
The league wasn't specified. It was a standard claim about results, so I responded that way.

If you limit it to PL results, btw, we still have only 5 defeats in 22 games. So, again, we got a lot of results there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back