Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
_-Sensible-Soccer-Amiga-_.jpg

Thank god for you mate. The only person who got the reference.

Football or footie, never soccer, unless you're North American, in which case it's acceptable.

edit

Is right lad.

Fair amount of bollocks in that article mate. I was playing football in the 60's, we never called it soccer. In short, don't believe everything you read on t'internet.

oh i defo take it with a grain of salt but moral of the story is that us americans didn't just make it up is all

I think its a cultural thing. The word soccer has never really bothered me, but it's not a new thing. It was used in the 1960s and 1970s in this country, albeit not everywhere. There's plenty of evidence to suggest it was used though.

motd-annual-1979-01.jpg

41163.jpg

One for another thread really but ...

Counting words in the press in the early 1900's has very little bearing on the reality of the time. Quoting the fact that Oxford and Cambridge students were responsible also shows a weakness in the argument. Rugby was then,and the Union code still is, a "posher" sport so they'd have wanted to divorce themselves from the common people.

If the bit about the war is right then it just reinforces the fact that Americans needed to differentiate between American Football and proper football, so picked up on a little used way to talking about footie ( ie soccer ) and embraced it into your version of the English language. So, yes, the origin is from these fair isles, but it was little used here

TL;DR ?

We're right, and you're weird.

I've been recently reading the autobiography of the football league secretary from the 1940s (I know, I know I'm a thrill a minute) and soccer is used by his publisher to advertise it on the cover but he himself being from hull uses football exclusively.

Kind of backs up that soccer was a middle class term.

No one ever called it soccer when I was a kid, or since for that matter

@BoysInBlue's right, stuff was published as "Soccer", but as your dull reading habits show, it was the publishers who wanted to try and get the term into common use, so yea, it's a class thing.

Anyway, to get back onto topic. If Martinez ever starts calling our beautiful club a soccer club I shall be leading a delegation to the board to get rid of the clown at the earliest possible opportunity.

Negged for inappropriate use of soccer.

You lot all need medical help.

I think its a cultural thing. The word soccer has never really bothered me, but it's not a new thing. It was used in the 1960s and 1970s in this country, albeit not everywhere. There's plenty of evidence to suggest it was used though.

motd-annual-1979-01.jpg

41163.jpg

Yes, I can never understand why people get precious over the word "soccer"

In the first instance, it is merely a handy contraction of the word "association" as used in the longhand name for football.......Association Football.

It is no different from referring to the "footie".

The word has been around since I was a boy.....World Soccer was a magazine my dad bought religiously into the house and those annuals above were regular stocking fillers of a Christmas morning.

And I remember winter Saturdays gathered round the TV listening anxiously for David Coleman to utter the words "some soccer news.....Everton have taken the least at Wolves" in between a visit to the Moto Cross and the 3.30 at Kempton Park :)

Yes, I can never understand why people get precious over the word "soccer"

In the first instance, it is merely a handy contraction of the word "association" as used in the longhand name for football.......Association Football.

It is no different from referring to the "footie".

The word has been around since I was a boy.....World Soccer was a magazine my dad bought religiously into the house and those annuals above were regular stocking fillers of a Christmas morning.

And I remember winter Saturdays gathered round the TV listening anxiously for David Coleman to utter the words "some soccer news.....Everton have taken the least at Wolves" in between a visit to the Moto Cross and the 3.30 at Kempton Park :)

Yeah this.

I think basically its an excuse to moan about America really.

He has to learn that he needs osman or pienaar on the pitch until he can replace them with intelligent footballers. We are so static when in possession when they are out.

He is a mediocre manager with a nice sounding name.

Mediocre manager breeds a mediocre team which breeds mediocre performances.

Seriously worry he hasn't got the ability or mind set go be a top manager just dont think he is good enough and that new contract made him far too comfortable.

If he can't bet his team beating the likes of villa and Sunderland there are serious issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back