Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to sort out the McCarthy situation and get him tied down before the dogs come sniffing.

Good start to the window, good that Garbutt and Galloway will be considered first team squad players next season also.

We have no Europe so don't need a huge squad but another centre half is a must. Swapping some of the lesser quality for something better would be good too, so Kone, McGeady, Hibbert, possibly Naismith could be sold to help fund that.

Obviously a replacement of quality for Mirallas when he departs too is a must.

He still has a long way to go so nobody should be acting smug about anything @davek

We do need to be shipping a few on, reducing the wage bill, even if it does mean taking a hit on transfer fees. We don't need a big squad as we are not in Europe, get a good squad so that everyone in it has a reason for being there. I know this happens every year but I am starting to look forward to the season with a bit of hope. But as we all know "It is the hope that kills you"

in martinez' defence regarding all the old players, who on here would have said he needed to sell barry, distin and howard after last season? all were brilliant - can't really hold it against him tbh. his decision to recall howard was utterly appalling imo and he really shouldn't have used barry as much as he did - gibson never being fit didn't help ... but anyone should have known that. besic is still learning that position but surely wouldn't have been any worse than barry most of the time.

Naismith would be a good purchase for a number of teams. Could do a job for them. Sort of Jon Jo Shelvey type figure. Plays with a lot of heart and contributes in terms of goals. We should be able to get some money for him (2-4 million?).

Naismith would be a good purchase for a number of teams. Could do a job for them. Sort of Jon Jo Shelvey type figure. Plays with a lot of heart and contributes in terms of goals. We should be able to get some money for him (2-4 million?).

He's worth at least 5 in this market

We have nobody else like Naismith in the squad, sorry but we dont.
Hes probably best keeping hold of.
Unless we got a silly offer and had another SS lined up.

I agree, as terrible a footballer as he is, he does give us something different and can be effective

I reckon Kev is away, Oviedo will probably go if we're keeping Garbutt (and not loaning him out). We'll try to move McGeady and Kone on (replace Kone with a season long loan (Wilson?))
If we could get someone to take Osman and Gibson then we'd probably be fools to turn down the opportunity.
If Hibbert wants to finish his career by actually playing some games then he'd be allowed to go but it's unlikely.

Add a CD, No10 and perhaps a sexy random loan, bring some more kids in to fill out the Squad, then Bobby's Summer is done.

We have nobody else like Naismith in the squad, sorry but we dont.

Hes probably best keeping hold of.

Unless we got a silly offer and had another SS lined up.

If you mean we have no one else who can misplace 40% of their passes each game, then yes.

I think Martinez should have 3 clear objectives or performance hurdles between now and the end of the year. Satisfactory results in all three should remove any credence from the doubters (myself included). Those performances hurdles, pretty much lead, one from the other, namely:

• A "good" transfer performance, bringing in players that will strengthen weaknesses (already identified ad nauseum on this site), keeping all those that we want to stay, and perhaps (being greedy) a "marquee" signing.
  • A "good" pre-season in terms of preparation, performance and fitness levels in pre-season games (not necessarily results though) and a squad that hits the ground running from game 1.
  • A "good" first half of the season. Good being defined as style of play and results meeting or above expectations. Expectations? - well realistically top 6, i.e. a European place. Anything higher is exceeding expectations.

He's off to a good start !

He's off to a good start !

I think there's still a long way to on this front, and I won't necessarily blame him if we don't land the players we need to.

Deulofeu's impact is being blown out of all proportion on here right now. He has to up his performance levels a lot to be a regular starter.

I think there's still a long way to on this front, and I won't necessarily blame him if we don't land the players we need to.

Deulofeu's impact is being blown out of all proportion on here right now. He has to up his performance levels a lot to be a regular starter.
He's 21!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back