Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't care what age he is, his performances need to improve for him to become a regular starter and justify the hype.
He's 21!!! Performances tend to improve at this age, as they mature. He has a special talent that probably will do better by nurturing rather than pressure. My example would be how Martinez nurtured him, he did well here. He had pressure last season and didn't perform as well.

GK ?
RB -- Coleman / Browning
RCB -- Stones
LCB -- Galloway
LB -- Garbutt
CM -- McCarthy/Besic
CM -- Cleverley / Barkley
LW -- ?
AM -- ?
RW -- Deulofeu
FW -- Lukaku

Possible additions of more such as Ledson and Henen? Age range 19-26.

Add a GK / LW and playmaker and it bodes well for the future.

Really can't understand the complaints that Martinez has made the team significantly older - this is a team made up of either Martinez signings or players that Moyes signed/developed but didn't use. The oldest is Cleverley at 25.

Robles​
Browning Stones Galloway Garbutt
McCarthy Besic​
Deulofeu Barkley Cleverley
Lukaku

Last edited:
Naismith would be a good purchase for a number of teams. Could do a job for them. Sort of Jon Jo Shelvey type figure. Plays with a lot of heart and contributes in terms of goals. We should be able to get some money for him (2-4 million?).
I think Naismith is worth 6m-8m to a bottom half team easy but there's no way Martinez will show him the door and I don't think he should either. Good squad player used properly from the bench can be an asset.

It really does.

We had a team last season that should have been in the top 8. He can sign all the players he wants but if we don't see a considerable improvement over last season it is meaningless.
You said it didn't matter who we sign. If we signed a lot of top quality players it'd be guaranteed wouldn't it?

You said it didn't matter who we sign. If we signed a lot of top quality players it'd be guaranteed wouldn't it?

I said "It doesn't matter who we sign if we don't improve."

I didn't say "It doesn't matter who we sign as we won't improve".

If we signed Messi then yes we'd probably be quite good. I think Martinez is a good manager and can be a fantastic one, but i won't be getting hyped up in June because we've signed a player who was at Villa last season and a winger who has great potential (like Roberto) but has yet to live up to that potential.

He has a lot to prove next season and i'm withholding my opinion on him until we've played a fair few games in the league. Not an unreasonable stance i don't think.

Martinez Factor continues to be clincher in Everton deals

So much is laid out on the negotiating table when Everton get down to business.

How much money they are willing to pay in transfer fees, what they can offer their target in wages, bonuses, personal terms and if the deal is to be structured. But, increasingly, there is a factor that matters more than any of those and accelerates talks towards a swift and positive conclusion: Roberto Martinez. Gerard Deulofeu signed in from Barcelona this week on a three-year-deal and returned to the club following a successful loan spell two years ago but he could have gone elsewhere - and for more money.

Barca could also have squeezed a bigger transfer fee out of other clubs but Deulofeu insisted that he only wanted to come back to Goodison and to work with Martinez again. The Catalan’s star quality, charm and profile as one of the best man managers in the division combine to create Everton’s most powerful bargaining tool in the transfer market. Players want to play for Martinez. Good players, players with heaps of potential and players who have offers coming from left, right and centre want to play for Martinez.

It does not stretch the truth to believe that in previous years, Everton would have missed out on many of these targets. “If we hadn’t had that second meeting, I would have signed. Now I couldn’t. It was awkward,” Craig Bellamy wrote in his autobiography about his second meeting with David Moyes. When Deulofeu is officially unveiled as an Everton player next month and gives his first interview, he will be asked what convinced him to snub the others and join Everton.

Martinez will be a big part of his answer.

The same applies to Tom Cleverley whose relationship with Martinez, forged at Wigan in 2010, was the defining factor in him rejecting the advances of Southampton, Villa and Arsenal to sign in at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back