Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see big Sam replacing him.
giphy.gif

Doesn't seem in a rush to get the necessary players in that were our priority after the end of last season.
Still a list that can't play the style he wants. British footballers can't play the continental passing game effectively.
Still not convinced he can cut it in the transfer market which was my biggest concern with him.
Therefore expecting much the same as last season unfortunately.
And he'll be under the pump by Christmas with nobody else to blame but himself really.

In fairness to RM, he has little budgeted funds to work with. The Lukaku purchase took one and a half summer transfer window monies. Notwithstanding limited funds, on paper Everton has very good 1st XI. But someone (or several) of the key personnel is always injured and our depth is just not there. I am only hoping like hell I don't have to watch a repeat of last season's dire football. A lot of my love for the game was sucked out of me having to watch that turgid, ineffective tiki taka.

In fairness to RM, he has little budgeted funds to work with. The Lukaku purchase took one and a half summer transfer window monies. Notwithstanding limited funds, on paper Everton has very good 1st XI. But someone (or several) of the key personnel is always injured and our depth is just not there. I am only hoping like hell I don't have to watch a repeat of last season's dire football. A lot of my love for the game was sucked out of me having to watch that turgid, ineffective tiki taka.

And another square pass to Jagielka. The opposition seems to have decided not to press, at least early in the match. Everton with all the possession, score nil-nil.

Many people forget this is also very much the same team that finished 5th. With a few more additions, we could finish fifth again. The problem with Top 4 is that I think it's been guaranteed for the next decade in City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal. Unless we provide some miracle ( Spurs and RS have Europa so we can cut them out for this season) that will be the top 4. Even for the following seasons it will be difficult to break the barrier for any team bar some takeover. Martinez needs to focus on the cups- preferably the FA Cup (can't believe its called the Emirates Cup an absolute disgrace).

In a nutshell.

Many people forget this is also very much the same team that finished 5th. With a few more additions, we could finish fifth again. The problem with Top 4 is that I think it's been guaranteed for the next decade in City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal. Unless we provide some miracle ( Spurs and RS have Europa so we can cut them out for this season) that will be the top 4. Even for the following seasons it will be difficult to break the barrier for any team bar some takeover. Martinez needs to focus on the cups- preferably the FA Cup (can't believe its called the Emirates Cup an absolute disgrace).

It's not though.

But thats just not true. I mean, lets just say 'sure, thats a valid point', its completely ignores the 30m extra a season EVERY premier league team is getting this year and then ANOTHER 30mil on top of that next year. The 'he has no money' isnt a real excuse anymore.

But thats just not true. I mean, lets just say 'sure, thats a valid point', its completely ignores the 30m extra a season EVERY premier league team is getting this year and then ANOTHER 30mil on top of that next year. The 'he has no money' isnt a real excuse anymore.

So, you're saying he'll have £60M over two seasons to spend on players.....lay down the crack pipe Riddick because as long as we 've got holes in our backsides that's not going to happen....and, even if it did, if EVERY team gets the same increase then the status quo remains. What is currently a £5M player suddenly becomes a £10M player.

In summary, Everton has revenue of 120mio. It has operational expenses of 95 mio. It has player amortisation of around 20mio. It has finance costs of 5mio. Bottom line earnings = 120-95-20-5= NIL. The TV money didn't give Everton an extra 25-30 mio to spend, it gave Everton 25-30mio to restore it's balance sheet, keep its head above water....and shareholder's are still in deficit of 14.6 mio as at end of 2014 even after the TV monies...and Fellaini, Victor and Jela sales!! I do not expect this deficit to change much in the 2015 year.
Without sales, the cash available for RM to spend is limited to the (non-cash) amortisation number (20 mio) Lukaku cost 28mio ...that's where I get my 1.5 times annual transfer budget spend estimation from. And sure, I know it wasn't all up front but about 18 mio of the cash sitting in Everton's bank is effectively being held in escrow to offset the residual debt (liability) to Chelsea.
The TV money saved Everton...it redressed its egregious balance sheet numbers. But that's it. It is not an engine for growth. Our balance sheet is not growing and given its balance sheets that 'fund' growth, we ain't growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back