Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I dreamt ...

Martinez out before Christmas and a bright, new era with Big Dunc at the helm.

I tried to believe in RM but after the honeymoon it is glaringly apparent to me that he is what he is .. a confused, deluded, little man who is not the messiah many of us hoped he would be ..

Granted he is probably hamstrung by Kenwright & the Board .. if so he's towed the line and kept his mouth shut.

Something is seriously amiss at the moment.

There's no way we'll finish bottom half again in a season without the draining effects of European football on a limited squad.

The league is becoming more and more competitive, as every team has a decent budget to work with. It's going to get harder to finish top half year on year.

This was a massive Summer for him and he's not really shown any signs so far that anything is going to change for next season. We still have a lot of players who were unable to play the possession game last season, on the books.

He's got a month left of the window but the season starts next week. An injury to Jags and Lukaku and we're struggling big time.

It's worrying how Martinez views our current squad's quality and depth. It's pretty much the same squad that finished 11th last season. Does he not realise it will take more than just improved performances to improve on last season's finish?

I believe it's the predictability of our current squad and tactics that will make it easier for opposition teams to nullify us. Sometimes you need new ideas and different types of players to create a spark.

We will once again be predicable, hard to beat but uninspiring. No fear of relegation, just not enough to get into that top 7.

Last night I dreamt ...

Martinez out before Christmas and a bright, new era with Big Dunc at the helm.

I tried to believe in RM but after the honeymoon it is glaringly apparent to me that he is what he is .. a confused, deluded, little man who is not the messiah many of us hoped he would be ..

Granted he is probably hamstrung by Kenwright & the Board .. if so he's towed the line and kept his mouth shut.

Something is seriously amiss at the moment.

Being given 28M for a striker hardly sounds like being hamstrung by the board!

Not sure how people feel about ESPN on your side of the pond, but I found this to be the perfect summation heading into the season.

Hopefully it turns out he is as good as we suspected during his first season in charge.

The league is becoming more and more competitive, as every team has a decent budget to work with. It's going to get harder to finish top half year on year.

This was a massive Summer for him and he's not really shown any signs so far that anything is going to change for next season. We still have a lot of players who were unable to play the possession game last season, on the books.

He's got a month left of the window but the season starts next week. An injury to Jags and Lukaku and we're struggling big time.
I agree that the transfer activity needs stepping up, but the reason we fell foul of spoiling teams last season was a lack of energy/preparation time to turn to our advantage which would have allowed us to get the ball moving quicker and find a way past opponents who sat back on us. It's obvious to me that we'll pick up more points this season having one game per week. Of course, the acquisition of a first rate playmaker will help us kick on and that's where my concern is right now. If we find the right player it'll be the difference between finishing top 6 and top half.

I agree that the transfer activity needs stepping up, but the reason we fell foul of spoiling teams last season was a lack of energy/preparation time to turn to our advantage which would have allowed us to get the ball moving quicker and find a way past opponents who sat back on us. It's obvious to me that we'll pick up more points this season having one game per week. Of course, the acquisition of a first rate playmaker will help us kick on and that's where my concern is right now. If we find the right player it'll be the difference between finishing top 6 and top half.

Nothing to do with the fact that he persisted with the same players playing out of position, having absolutely no pace in the side (until Lennon appeared) and his insistence on shoe horning Naismith, Barkley,Eto'o, McGeady etc and others into the same boring and predictable line up who nearly sent the crowd to sleep for long periods with pointless over passing for a lengthy period?

Not buying real quality (so far) means we haven’t greatly improved the squad, so I am afraid it is what it is, so its very important we start well getting a load of points and gain some impetus. Hopefully some who didn’t perform last season will find a bit of form and who knows….got to be positive and get behind the team and RM

Personally I still think buying Lukaku was the correct move but others clearly don't...
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9926725/F365-Says
Roberto Martinez's blind claims of top four finishes are drastically off-kilter, and look foolish given Everton's current status quo. Below the elite, it's about 'buy low, sell high'...

That's a crummy article for several reasons but I'll focus on the Lukaku comment for now: why do so many people have difficulty understanding the different ways of accounting for genuine worth? When Utd bought Robin van Persie they ended up paying £24m. His goals won them the league title in his first season. The next two seasons he was mostly injured and ended up being sold for a reported loss of £20m. Still, he was undeniably a very good signing.

If Lukaku scores ~20 goals each season for the next 4-5 years his transfer fee will be a snip compared to what it would take to bring in two or three experienced forwards that might score a similar amount over that period. If we were to sell him whilst he's contracted to us we'd almost certainly make a profit.

There's just no way anyone can determine the value of Lukaku's signing after a single season.

Nothing to do with the fact that he persisted with the same players playing out of position, having absolutely no pace in the side (until Lennon appeared) and his insistence on shoe horning Naismith, Barkley,Eto'o, McGeady etc and others into the same boring and predictable line up who nearly sent the crowd to sleep for long periods with pointless over passing for a lengthy period?
A lot of the lack of pace was down to the draining effects of two gamer per week.

As for persisting with the same failing players - this is why...

CK_JE4iWcAAqe6C.jpg

In summary, Everton has revenue of 120mio. It has operational expenses of 95 mio. It has player amortisation of around 20mio. It has finance costs of 5mio. Bottom line earnings = 120-95-20-5= NIL. The TV money didn't give Everton an extra 25-30 mio to spend, it gave Everton 25-30mio to restore it's balance sheet, keep its head above water....and shareholder's are still in deficit of 14.6 mio as at end of 2014 even after the TV monies...and Fellaini, Victor and Jela sales!! I do not expect this deficit to change much in the 2015 year.
Without sales, the cash available for RM to spend is limited to the (non-cash) amortisation number (20 mio) Lukaku cost 28mio ...that's where I get my 1.5 times annual transfer budget spend estimation from. And sure, I know it wasn't all up front but about 18 mio of the cash sitting in Everton's bank is effectively being held in escrow to offset the residual debt (liability) to Chelsea.
The TV money saved Everton...it redressed its egregious balance sheet numbers. But that's it. It is not an engine for growth. Our balance sheet is not growing and given its balance sheets that 'fund' growth, we ain't growing.

Even you don't dispute that the club's in a much healthier financial position than it was up to a couple of years ago. And a guy of your intelligence should be able to understand that having a deficit doesn't stop a club having a big transfer net spend which it can accommodate in various ways, spreading the payments out over a few years, keeping control over the wages bill, shifting money around, etc. Everton have planned for a couple more signings and for noone else leaving, obviously it remains to be seen whether we'll be able to hold on to all our star players, but to suggest that we can't sign anyone because the club's skint is simply wrong, it's a conspiracy theory based on pessimism and cynicism but very little fact.

Even you don't dispute that the club's in a much healthier financial position than it was up to a couple of years ago. And a guy of your intelligence should be able to understand that having a deficit doesn't stop a club having a big transfer net spend which it can accommodate in various ways, spreading the payments out over a few years, keeping control over the wages bill, shifting money around, etc. Everton have planned for a couple more signings and for noone else leaving, obviously it remains to be seen whether we'll be able to hold on to all our star players, but to suggest that we can't sign anyone because the club's skint is simply wrong, it's a conspiracy theory based on pessimism and cynicism but very little fact.
I was really referencing the fact that the Lukaku purchase (28mio) was an investment that consumed over 1 window's worth of transfer budget, and that is why our transfer spend this summer is somewhat (relative to other clubs anyway) parsimonious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back