Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that this pre- season has been poor overall so far and unless something drastic happens in the next week then I think Bert has left himself open to criticism from the get go again here. The team performances have been pretty poor and the squad is pretty much the same as last season and unless the additions he's brought in overachieve I can forecast nothing but at the best a mediocre season for us.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that this pre- season has been poor overall so far and unless something drastic happens in the next week then I think Bert has left himself open to criticism from the get go again here. The team performances have been pretty poor and the squad is pretty much the same as last season and unless the additions he's brought in overachieve I can forecast nothing but at the best a mediocre season for us.
I disagree with the pre season up to this point. They've been very competitive and Everrton have largely been competitive and knocking the ball about well. It's a huge improvement on last summer.

This weekend it's fallen flat because of the ridiculous idea of handing over our most precious pre season game to sharpen up against very good opposition to some circus sideshow act. Absolutely ridiculous, and I put Mr Showbiz Kenright from t and centre for the blame over that.

Players do need to come in and that is where I agree. They should have been embedded and getting familiarised with their new team mates weeks ago...but them again is that down to Martinez or the usual suspects hanging on to cash and waiting for a sale of Stones?

I disagree with the pre season up to this point. They've been very competitive and Everrton have largely been competitive and knocking the ball about well. It's a huge improvement on last summer.

This weekend it's fallen flat because of the ridiculous idea of handing over our most precious pre season game to sharpen up against very good opposition to some circus sideshow act. Absolutely ridiculous, and I put Mr Showbiz Kenright from t and centre for the blame over that.

Players do need to come in and that is where I agree. They should have been embedded and getting familiarised with their new team mates weeks ago...but them again is that down to Martinez or the usual suspects hanging on to cash and waiting for a sale of Stones?

It has been an improvement on last seasons fixture wise but it really couldn't have been a repeat of that as it was unacceptable but Still a lot of room for more improvement. Not sure who is to blame for the lack of transfer activity both in and out And I'm not looking to blame anybody but it is there to be seen. I know the Pre-season is more about fitness and getting in shape tactically as well so I'm not writing us off as anything can happen once the season starts but I just think the pre-season has been a bit underwhelming again and going into the start with Kone as our second striker does not fill me with much hope, If anything happens to Lukaku I feel we're in trouble. Prove me wrong Bobby.

just hope he can get a few in or we could be in for a bit of a rough run at the start of the season,
teams had him sussed out last season, basically put us under pressure , defend deep as we play ticky tacky without making a breakthrough, then go and put a ball into the area , were are defense /keeper cant cope with balls in the air or played straight through the middle, big few months for bobby needs to show he isnt a one trick pony.
Couple of decent players in could change that though if he is given the chance to get them in, decent dominant keeper, if not a center half in the same mold and a number ten, if he needs to sell to change it we will see what he is made of.

For the team pre-season is all about fitness. We look fit so it has been a success.
For the fans it's an insight into whether the problems of last season have been corrected. No sign of that.

That's basically how I sum up our pre-season. Even most of the injuries while certainly haven't helped lets be hopeful that we've "got them out of the way".

just hope he can get a few in or we could be in for a bit of a rough run at the start of the season,
teams had him sussed out last season, basically put us under pressure , defend deep as we play ticky tacky without making a breakthrough, then go and put a ball into the area , were are defense /keeper cant cope with balls in the air or played straight through the middle, big few months for bobby needs to show he isnt a one trick pony.
Couple of decent players in could change that though if he is given the chance to get them in, decent dominant keeper, if not a center half in the same mold and a number ten, if he needs to sell to change it we will see what he is made of.

I'm hoping the 2 new lads will make a big difference in terms of us being able to turn teams around when in possession. I think one big reason we struggled going forward last year was that the two players who are able to take the ball on the turn in tight areas, Osman and Pienaar, were missing a lot. I'm hoping Cleverley will offer that, and Deulofeu puts the opposition on the back foot with his pace and ability to go past players. I still see the squad as very imbalanced and if we get injuries up front or at CB or RB then we are looking at players who are really inexperienced or who don't look up to the job.

Frighteningly bad mate. I think we all came to the conclusion early last season that we needed a new dominant sort of centre back...here we are in August the following year with even less options than we had back then. Of course, we'd have had a couple in by now if we had ANY other PL board of directors.

Incidentally, this is why I cant go along with the hype over Stones. He's part and parcel of pretty average (poor on its day) central defensive performances. Very good prospect but if we get mid to high £30M's for him it's been armed robbery of Chelsea/United's transfer war chest.

Its harsh to say this so early but anything other than a win next Saturday and we're in for a very, very long August/September
Minimal injection of new blood isn't helping the situation for the team or the fans.
Can't see it but, one marquee signing could help change this enormously - before the season starts not a month in when we could be potentially down amongst the deadmen.
*crosses fingers*

I'd like a surprise signing tbh. Virtually every one of his signings has been so blindingly predictable and obvious, our whole scouting system may as well have had 2 years off.

Frighteningly bad mate. I think we all came to the conclusion early last season that we needed a new dominant sort of centre back...here we are in August the following year with even less options than we had back then. Of course, we'd have had a couple in by now if we had ANY other PL board of directors.

Incidentally, this is why I cant go along with the hype over Stones. He's part and parcel of pretty average (poor on its day) central defensive performances. Very good prospect but if we get mid to high £30M's for him it's been armed robbery of Chelsea/United's transfer war chest.
said the same to my lad the other day davek, we let in more than we score, not a good thing, sometimes the defensive unit, is about having a tight back four working together rather than your best players put together and hoping it comes off, i would like stones to stay but with a different keeper behind him, one that commands the area, as it stands him jags and Howard are suckers in the box for a high ball, or do a star jump when anybody breaks through rather than going through them to get the ball.
If not to be honest, not the end of the world if he goes as by the time he grows into the player he can become this board will have took the money and run anyway, so if some other club wants to pay for his learning curve so be it, if they had any sense they would sell and keep him on loan for a season.

said the same to my lad the other day davek, we let in more than we score, not a good thing, sometimes the defensive unit, is about having a tight back four working together rather than your best players put together and hoping it comes off, i would like stones to stay but with a different keeper behind him, one that commands the area, as it stands him jags and Howard are suckers in the box for a high ball, or do a star jump when anybody breaks through rather than going through them to get the ball.
If not to be honest, not the end of the world if he goes as by the time he grows into the player he can become this board will have took the money and run anyway, so if some other club wants to pay for his learning curve so be it, if they had any sense they would sell and keep him on loan for a season.
That's the way I see it too.

Dead right about the blend of players at the back as well. Better a unit doing things mostly right than a young star player standing out from the rest, not on their wavelength and the whole thing looking a shambles. I think the best I've seen of us this pre-season was with Browning and Galloway in the same back four with Jagielka. Something to work on there, but we need at least one major addition in that area and it's frustrating it's not already a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back