Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of fitness and playing time, we've had a good pre-season I reckon. I haven't watched much of it so I can't really comment on performances but I'm not fussed if we're not looking like world beaters.

In terms of signings (or lack of), is this any different to every season? And I don't just mean Everton, the majority of transfer dealings happen the deeper in August we go. It takes a few transfers to go through for it all to start cascading and money changing hands. This is far from ideal since the season starts without knowing what the squad will be, which is why the window should close before the season starts.

I agree I'd like to see a big marquee signing to bring a feel good factor to the place.

Also, 2 of the biggest gripes with last season was slow laboured sideways passing and predictable play. Cleverly brings quicker forward thinking play and Del brings unpredictability. It's a start but we need more.
Agreed...especially the Cleverley point. In that respect I also thought McAleny buzzes about well and can drag the opposition around a bit. Dowell looks a player who can release the ball quickly, though obvious he's one for the future.

Things haven't remained the same as last year entirely. We do though need that elusive playmaker in.

Agreed...especially the Cleverley point. In that respect I also thought McAleny buzzes about well and can drag the opposition around a bit. Dowell looks a player who can release the ball quickly, though obvious he's one for the future.

Things haven't remained the same as last year entirely. We do though need that elusive playmaker in.

Spend some cash on one of these and a centre half and we've got ourselves a good little squad.

If/when Martinez gets sacked, he'll have no one to blame but himself.
Has had two months to replace Kone and bring in a creative mid. No excuses, simply not good enough.

Had 4 transfer windows to replace Osman Pienaar and Gibson with the playmakers we need. Instead he's waiting for all three to get fit and in the meantime playing two defensive midfielders every game and strikers and midfielders on the wings.

Why is it so hard to understand? No creativity, no service to strikers, no chances.

Its harsh to say this so early but anything other than a win next Saturday and we're in for a very, very long August/September

Watford brought in 10 players? I expect to see at least 5 of them playing next week. Most of them with no premiere league experience and unfamiliar with each other and having work under a new manager in less than 2 months. Anything other than a win for us is unacceptable.

Also, 2 of the biggest gripes with last season was slow laboured sideways passing and predictable play. Cleverly brings quicker forward thinking play and Del brings unpredictability. It's a start but we need more.

To both sides. Don't know whether he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team; but he's got a bit to do before I'm convinced by him, I'm afraid.

If Mirallas goes we are thoroughly bolloxed for creativity and a link from midfield to the attack. We can't rely on Deulofeu, and bringing in Lennon for Mirallas will be the most crass nonsensical move I'll have ever, EVER witnessed (Since pienaar came back)

To both sides. Don't know whether he's on a different wavelength to the rest of the team; but he's got a bit to do before I'm convinced by him, I'm afraid.

If Mirallas goes we are thoroughly bolloxed for creativity and a link from midfield to the attack. We can't rely on Deulofeu, and bringing in Lennon for Mirallas will be the most crass nonsensical move I'll have ever, EVER witnessed (Since pienaar came back)

Absolutely. But even if he's having a mare of a game, he can create something out of nothing with his raw pace.

If/when Martinez gets sacked, he'll have no one to blame but himself.
Has had two months to replace Kone and bring in a creative mid. No excuses, simply not good enough.
Its called getting no money from the board, what do you expect him to do, start rubbing lamps in the hopes a genie pops out and grants him 3 players

Absolutely. But even if he's having a mare of a game, he can create something out of nothing with his raw pace.

Needs to make his mind up the second he gets the ball. He makes the wrong choice more often than not; and no matter how simple the choice(s) are, he'll choose the wrong one.

Its called getting no money from the board, what do you expect him to do, start rubbing lamps in the hopes a genie pops out and grants him 3 players

Then he should force the board's hand. I'm sure the fans know who they'd back in that situation. Might wake others up too.

He does know what we need now its up to him to get them

Martinez said at his press conference after Duncan Ferguson’s testimonial match against Villarreal: “We know we need two to three new players and we are going to make sure we get the right ones.

“We are looking for that area [up front], the number 10 position, and I think we need a centre-half; the three areas are quite clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back