Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He spent £28m on one player regardless of where the money came from! Don't turn this in to a board thread, everyone knows the issue, this is Martinez' thread and it's down to him we have a team full of average centre midfielders, with the worst a guaranteed starter, our brightest young talent on the wing and a back-up forward who'd look out of place in the Sunday league.
He never spent 28 mil though, its something like 9 a season, totaling 25 plus another 3 if we get champions league. Money we got from felli.

It does matter where the money came from too?, So you're saying they deserve applause for reinvesting what we get in. No wonder we are stagnant with people like you happy clapping.

Average midfielders? same midfielders that got us record points, plus one of the brightest DMs at the world cup and a player that was once described as paul scholes natural successor.

Ross finished last season playing in his 'best' position, plus has played there all preseason, that excuse doesnt wash anymore.

He never spent 28 mil though, its something like 9 a season, totaling 25 plus another 3 if we get champions league. Money we got from felli.

It does matter where the money came from too?, So you're saying they deserve applause for reinvesting what we get in. No wonder we are stagnant with people like you happy clapping.

Average midfielders? same midfielders that got us record points, plus one of the brightest DMs at the world cup and a player that was once described as paul scholes natural successor.

Ross finished last season playing in his 'best' position, plus has played there all preseason, that excuse doesnt wash anymore.

FFS change the record on the board, there is a thread for that. It's an easy excuse for a manager. We all know the board is a problem, has been for some time, but it doesn't give the manager a free pass to make poor decisions.

Lukaku and Besic were good buys, not arguing them. But why didn't he play Besic more last season instead of 'treading water Barry'? Your argument is like a child's, so if Bracewell and Reid were are current midfield at their age now, it'd be ok cos they won us the league? Barry should never have gotten a permanent deal. He was playing for a contract and an outside chance at the World Cup. Both motivations gone by the time he signed his long term deal. What a waste of money those wages are. Besic should be playing that role, neither one of them is any good on the ball, but Besic is far more mobile and breaks play up better.

Ross has played central all pre-season has he?

FFS change the record on the board, there is a thread for that. It's an easy excuse for a manager. We all know the board is a problem, has been for some time, but it doesn't give the manager a free pass to make poor decisions.

Lukaku and Besic were good buys, not arguing them. But why didn't he play Besic more last season instead of 'treading water Barry'? Your argument is like a child's, so if Bracewell and Reid were are current midfield at their age now, it'd be ok cos they won us the league? Barry should never have gotten a permanent deal. He was playing for a contract and an outside chance at the World Cup. Both motivations gone by the time he signed his long term deal. What a waste of money those wages are. Besic should be playing that role, neither one of them is any good on the ball, but Besic is far more mobile and breaks play up better.

Ross has played central all pre-season has he?
The first time besic had ever played in midfield was the world cup, last year was his first seaon as a midfielder in the most competitive league in the world and despite some sound displays and show of promise there were a few times he looked a bit naive, add in a few knocks and niggles, thats the main reason barry played so often, but he still played the best part of 30 games.

Yes, ross has played central all preseason, either in a mid 3, next to a defensive mid and as an attacking mid, and its been the same old same old from him despitee a boss goal against arsenal, cant keep blaming playing on the wing a few times

It's easy to turn on the board when the manager who you've backed so strongly isn't performing.

Everyone knows the issues with the board, but they backed the manager last Summer and no reason to think they're not backing him now.

Martinez has brought this on himself, he's never once tried to mould the squad in to something that can play his system. His neglect of set pieces, fitness and any kind of defensive organisation is just crazy! What's with all the hamstring injuries? If one guy is getting them maybe he has an issue, but if lots of different players are getting them, then there is a problem with the training.

I so hoped he'd use this Summer to move on some of the crap at the club and bring in someone resembling a footballer, but instead he continues to talk up players like Kone, McGeady and Pienaar, while Barry seems to be ever present.

In all honesty if Stones does go for big money, Martinez is the last man I'd want spending it. He's lost his confidence and seems to have forgotten what got him the job in the first place.
Pretty much wrong in every way this.

"Everyone knows the situation with the board". Yes, full stop. But then you go onto make them sound like they've opened a massive warchest since Martinez has been here. Currently (over a period of 5 windows and incoming tv revenue of circa £80M) Martinez has a net spend of about £9M.

His neglect of set pieces. And you know this how? It seemed ok in the first season. It couldn't just be the players not doing their job like?

You dont trust Martinez with money? Yeah, he'll use a lot of cash to buy rubbish like Lukaku and McCarthy.

Always big on rhetoric! How about reality, how could the Board have been changed? come on tell us, Okay?

Seem to recall you were also slagging off BU when they had a go!

Proof, if any were needed, that you're making things up as you go along.

Lol.

Apart from Besic and Delboy. Martinez's buys on the general have been very poor. The majority of players he's bought in aren't actually good enough to progress us forward.

Apart from Besic and Delboy. Martinez's buys on the general have been very poor. The majority of players he's bought in aren't actually good enough to progress us forward.
You wouldn't say Lukaku has been a success or McCarthy? Or that Barry has been overall?

Pretty much wrong in every way this.

"Everyone knows the situation with the board". Yes, full stop. But then you go onto make them sound like they've opened a massive warchest since Martinez has been here. Currently (over a period of 5 windows and incoming tv revenue of circa £80M) Martinez has a net spend of about £9M.

His neglect of set pieces. And you know this how? It seemed ok in the first season. It couldn't just be the players not doing their job like?

You dont trust Martinez with money? Yeah, he'll use a lot of cash to buy rubbish like Lukaku and McCarthy.

22.8m net david, stop trying to make him sound astute.

McCarthy, Rom? potentially Galloway

Rom's got the potential to be quality - I do like him. However it was far to naive from Martinez, our team is aged to say the least, we need replacements all over the pitch and to spend near enough everything we had on one player...

But for 28M to date in my eyes it's been relatively poor business. I would happily move him on if we could recuperate the money we spent and invest it across the team.

To be fair I really like J McCarthy - so yes I'd say he is good business. Galloway I look forward to seeing more of.

Perhaps I was overly critical. I was just thinking more about Kone/Alcaraz/McGeady/Barry/Joel.

No plan B, too loyal to no marks like Alcaraz and Kone (but let Long go) no pull on Spanish connections, and can't see the wood from the trees when a change is needed on the pitch.
I believe that if Osman hadn't of come back when he did towards the end of last season, we'd of really struggled.
Our best bet is to tap up Eddie Howe now ready for January.

You wouldn't say Lukaku has been a success or McCarthy? Or that Barry has been overall?

Barry was a massive influence in his first season here. Martinez miss-managed him last season.

He's a good player, but Martinez isn't helping himself or Barry, by playing him every possible minute. Rotate Barry and you'd not only see Besic progress but Barry look a better player as well - I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back