Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly this. Martinez went down in my managerial estimations last season (after more than fulfilling them the previous). It's a very tough start to the season and I am going to cut him slack. I'll reappraise the situation in November.
Don't be late. May not be here by the end of December.
For me he has no idea in the transfer market. Talks a good game, but all Spanish fluff so far I am afraid.

Don't be late. May not be here by the end of December.
For me he has no idea in the transfer market. Talks a good game, but all Spanish fluff so far I am afraid.
Cleverly and Del are good additions for mine.

He has crucial business to do in the rest of this window though, desperately need quality players in those three positions.

Roberto is giving the appearance of a man doing OK...Imagine a man having a swim in a lake, you look over, oh yeah there's Roberto having a swim, he's even waving to us.

thing is.

He's not waving he's drowning.

I hope he's gone by Christmas or better still Halloween...but it won't happen

Also, nothing will happen on the transfer front until the sky money goes in just before the window shuts...if then.

We will average fractionally over 1 Pt. per game.

Nothing has changed, nothing will change, and we'll still be having a similar conversation in 12 months.

#degsydamus

I think Martinez should have 3 clear objectives or performance hurdles between now and the end of the year. Satisfactory results in all three should remove any credence from the doubters (myself included). Those performances hurdles, pretty much lead, one from the other, namely:

• A "good" transfer performance, bringing in players that will strengthen weaknesses (already identified ad nauseum on this site), keeping all those that we want to stay, and perhaps (being greedy) a "marquee" signing.
  • A "good" pre-season in terms of preparation, performance and fitness levels in pre-season games (not necessarily results though) and a squad that hits the ground running from game 1.
  • A "good" first half of the season. Good being defined as style of play and results meeting or above expectations. Expectations? - well realistically top 6, i.e. a European place. Anything higher is exceeding expectations.
Our support, as against our derision, would help,

Seems to me from afar that we are better prepared than at the start of last season which is a positive obviously.

The same doubts though still exist over personnel, tactics and our ability to compete in the transfer market either through lack of cash or general ineptitude - who knows?

Still, a week to go to the beginning of the season, always enjoy the anticipation , it's been a long close season football-wise.

Roberto is giving the appearance of a man doing OK...Imagine a man having a swim in a lake, you look over, oh yeah there's Roberto having a swim, he's even waving to us.

thing is.

He's not waving he's drowning.

I hope he's gone by Christmas or better still Halloween...but it won't happen

Also, nothing will happen on the transfer front until the sky money goes in just before the window shuts...if then.

We will average fractionally over 1 Pt. per game.

Nothing has changed, nothing will change, and we'll still be having a similar conversation in 12 months.

#degsydamus

Do you wake up on a sunny morning and wish it was raining?

I like Martinez and think time must be given to him. Remember he is manager of Everton and cannot just go out and buy world class players on the measley budget he has. Looks like people want the steady positions that Moyes glorious football got us then he will be given the thumbs up. Well please don't expect that in his early years.....Martinez is not content with having a steady team because he has more ambition than that and wants to try and mould a team (this takes time when budget is very limited) that will be genuinely challenging the top 4. Not saying it will come off but he will aim for it, therefore we can expect a few yoyo seasons. If after 4-5 seasons we are not playing good and comfortable football and opening up teams with good movement from the players then fair enough I would say he tried but alas failed to reach his objective. One thing that looks certain is we will have some youngsters coming through who will be given game time and he would leave us in a healthier position structural wise. He has had 2 seasons with us and yes we have seen some boring football but on the other hand we have seen arguably some of the best football since the 80's. Patience is a virtue

Do you wake up on a sunny morning and wish it was raining?

Living in Brisbane, sometimes I do, especially when it hasn't rained for 20 weeks. Other than that It's being so cheerful that keeps me going, each week I try to be grateful for 3 things

Nobody would be happier than me if he turned it around...but I don't think he will.

*puts head on vaulting chopping block. We will have a groundhog season.

I like Martinez and think time must be given to him. Remember he is manager of Everton and cannot just go out and buy world class players on the measley budget he has. Looks like people want the steady positions that Moyes glorious football got us then he will be given the thumbs up. Well please don't expect that in his early years.....Martinez is not content with having a steady team because he has more ambition than that and wants to try and mould a team (this takes time when budget is very limited) that will be genuinely challenging the top 4. Not saying it will come off but he will aim for it, therefore we can expect a few yoyo seasons. If after 4-5 seasons we are not playing good and comfortable football and opening up teams with good movement from the players then fair enough I would say he tried but alas failed to reach his objective. One thing that looks certain is we will have some youngsters coming through who will be given game time and he would leave us in a healthier position structural wise. He has had 2 seasons with us and yes we have seen some boring football but on the other hand we have seen arguably some of the best football since the 80's. Patience is a virtue
Sums it all up this.

He's trying to drag Everton back to its tradition of playing the ball and not treating it like a shot down the fairway. The ironic thing is that many/most of those that criticise his football are trying to tell him they want none of that and want something that crept into our play in the last decade and a half to murder our club's brand of football.

He's basically all that stands between us and a return to the agricultural stuff of Moyes/Smith that is anathema to Everton. He's saving us from ourselves, basically.

Seems to me from afar that we are better prepared than at the start of last season which is a positive obviously.

The same doubts though still exist over personnel, tactics and our ability to compete in the transfer market either through lack of cash or general ineptitude - who knows?

Still, a week to go to the beginning of the season, always enjoy the anticipation, it's been a long close season football-wise.

Personnel wise - how can this be down to the manager? I'm sure if we went through his purchases we'd agree the majority have been good apart from the Kone and Alcarez fiascos. If he had cash to play with he'd have had bodies in by now. He's working to a budget - what that will be and when it will be spent will be determined by how generous Chelsea are and when they decide to put us all out of our misery on Stones.

Tactics - need changing to what? We are playing a nice brand of football that breaks down in the final third. It's not tactics that needs to change, it's personnel (see above).

Personnel wise - how can this be down to the manager? I'm sure if we went through his purchases we'd agree the majority have been good apart from the Kone and Alcarez fiascos. If he had cash to play with he'd have had bodies in by now. He's working to a budget - what that will be and when it will be spent will be determined by how generous Chelsea are and when they decide to put us all out of our misery on Stones.

Tactics - need changing to what? We are playing a nice brand of football that breaks down in the final third. It's not tactics that needs to change, it's personnel (see above).

An Everton manager has to work to a confined budget and the players he has picked up on a budget haven't been great. McGeady, Alcaraz, Kone, Eto'o... Jury still out on Besic? Big season for him.

Barry, couldn't really go wrong there in terms of tried and tested but wasn't convinced on size of contract renewal.

This is the (some sections of; ) GOT equivalent of the surgeons 'The operation was a complete success, but the patient, sadly, died...It's not the Philosophy it's the poor players not being Barca standard.

Well surprise, surprise ( rip Cilla ) with our cash they won't be.

If we have Lemons...

Moyes made Lemonade, that went flat under pressure and didn't travel ( to United, Arsenal, Chelsea or to the rs ) well.

Martinez is trying to make a Single Malt.

What, IMO, we need is 'The Goldilocks Option'...not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez.

Some one who can make the best 45% Lemon Liquer that can be made with the Lemons our lack of cash lets us buy. I know it won't taste as nice as the Glen Philosophical Single Malt would, but the end result would be the same...

P*ssed.... where P*ssed= a fast paced, high intensity mixture of ( in football terms ) Boxing and fighting. Not this Martinez version of the Itchy and Scratchy song...We pass; we pass; we pass, pass, pass, pass, pass etc

Short version: Use a system that maximises the players we have...not a system that due to it's unsuitability to the real ( Lemon ) world that minimises them.

end of rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back