Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the (some sections of; ) GOT equivalent of the surgeons 'The operation was a complete success, but the patient, sadly, died...It's not the Philosophy it's the poor players not being Barca standard.

Well surprise, surprise ( rip Cilla ) with our cash they won't be.

If we have Lemons...

Moyes made Lemonade, that went flat under pressure and didn't travel ( to United, Arsenal, Chelsea or to the rs ) well.

Martinez is trying to make a Single Malt.

What, IMO, we need is 'The Goldilocks Option'...not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez.

Some one who can make the best 45% Lemon Liquer that can be made with the Lemons our lack of cash lets us buy. I know it won't taste as nice as the Glen Philosophical Single Malt would, but the end result would be the same...

P*ssed.... where P*ssed= a fast paced, high intensity mixture of ( in football terms ) Boxing and fighting. Not this Martinez version of the Itchy and Scratchy song...We pass; we pass; we pass, pass, pass, pass, pass etc

Short version: Use a system that maximises the players we have...not a system that due to it's unsuitability to the real ( Lemon ) world that minimises them.

end of rant.

It's a good rant mate and a lot of it spot on. If the players can't do what he's asking them to do well he needs to get them to do the things they are good at. You have to work within what you have available and get the best out of them.

An Everton manager has to work to a confined budget and the players he has picked up on a budget haven't been great. McGeady, Alcaraz, Kone, Eto'o... Jury still out on Besic? Big season for him.

Barry, couldn't really go wrong there in terms of tried and tested but wasn't convinced on size of contract renewal.
I love the way you blatantly can't stand Martinez because he replaced your poster boy Moyes.

An Everton manager has to work to a confined budget and the players he has picked up on a budget haven't been great. McGeady, Alcaraz, Kone, Eto'o... Jury still out on Besic? Big season for him.

Barry, couldn't really go wrong there in terms of tried and tested but wasn't convinced on size of contract renewal.
He's done decent on bargain buys too: Besic (all but proven for me) and Deulofeu (and probably Cleverley will fall into this category), so hit and miss there on the cheaper end stuff, and very good record on major money signings, imo.

Following Moyes on transfers was always going to be a tough one for any manager to emulate, but he's doing a much better job on it than credited for.

I have not been impressed with his acquisitions and when you have a very limited budget and the need for several players it was lunacy to spunk it all on Lukaku

This is the (some sections of; ) GOT equivalent of the surgeons 'The operation was a complete success, but the patient, sadly, died...It's not the Philosophy it's the poor players not being Barca standard.

Well surprise, surprise ( rip Cilla ) with our cash they won't be.

If we have Lemons...

Moyes made Lemonade, that went flat under pressure and didn't travel ( to United, Arsenal, Chelsea or to the rs ) well.

Martinez is trying to make a Single Malt.

What, IMO, we need is 'The Goldilocks Option'...not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez.

Some one who can make the best 45% Lemon Liquer that can be made with the Lemons our lack of cash lets us buy. I know it won't taste as nice as the Glen Philosophical Single Malt would, but the end result would be the same...

P*ssed.... where P*ssed= a fast paced, high intensity mixture of ( in football terms ) Boxing and fighting. Not this Martinez version of the Itchy and Scratchy song...We pass; we pass; we pass, pass, pass, pass, pass etc

Short version: Use a system that maximises the players we have...not a system that due to it's unsuitability to the real ( Lemon ) world that minimises them.

end of rant.
You didn't think in the preseason games taken as a whole that we played less ponderously?

I must say, I did. Not the route one method but a lot of switching play from middle to flanks (and even flank to flank) than previously under Martinez. And I thought Cleverley aided more direct play too.

It's an abstraction to say Martinez's team is not evolving. I see it even in the last few games.

He's done decent on bargain buys too: Besic (all but proven for me) and Deulofeu (and probably Cleverley will fall into this category), so hit and miss there on the cheaper end stuff, and very good record on major money signings, imo.

Following Moyes on transfers was always going to be a tough one for any manager to emulate, but he's doing a much better job on it than credited for.

we're being linked with CL quality players and he's actually attracting big name players here. moyes didn't bring in a name as big as lukaku or eto'o in his time to be honest. our budget does make it hard for anyone to be too great in the market mind. people seem to forget that.

And if we didnt get rom people would be moaning
I certainly would. You don't pass up opportunities to sign players of that calibre.
There wasn't a way we could lose out from bringing him in from a financial perspective, and he's a proven consistent goal scorer in the league.

we're being linked with CL quality players and he's actually attracting big name players here. moyes didn't bring in a name as big as lukaku or eto'o in his time to be honest. our budget does make it hard for anyone to be too great in the market mind. people seem to forget that.
The other point I'd make too is that getting Deulofeu and Besic for under £10M for the pair is unreal business that Moyes would have been crowing about himself, especially given the fact that when Moyes was pulling off that type of coup the prices of players were much lower than they are now.

As said: two or three undoubted stinkers in under Martinez, but the feller's transfer activity is a 7/10 for me (Moyes being about 8.5/10).

Bad buys: Kone, Alcaraz, McGeady.

Struggling to think of any more.
Alcaraz and McGeady we got for bobbins. Were only really ever going to be squad fillers and for that purpose they've done alright. Not saying they were great but neither were they super poor pick ups either.
Kone was a terrible buy, albeit we never got to judge him prior to that crippling injury.
Likewise Atsu and that giant striker we loaned from Monaco were injury prone as anything and a complete waste of money.

Any manager that signs a multi million pound contract with EFC has no right to moan given our history under these owners. Bobby signed it and knew what he was he was getting into, so lets park the excuses now and find out if the manager can get results with the resources he has at his disposal.

It,s business time - lets see how the results come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back