Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people get so upset when people post opinions in opinion forums.

I'll quite happily state I wasn't keen on Roberto being appointed. I didn't think he'd done anything special at Wigan and was worried about his transfer market skills.

After season 1 I said he'd done really well. The signings had worked out really well and the alterations to the style of play were good.

Then season 2 happened and the things I'd worried about started to come to pass, the defence was shambolic and the quickness went from the attack when we didn't have Deulofeu/Pienaar/Osman quick feet in and around the box.

In season 3 he has attempted to rectify the problem by signing Cleverly and Deulofeu but we still have no number 10, centre back, striker or goalkeeper. All positions we desperately need to strengthen in.

In terms of who is to blame it goes
1. The board for failing to invest in the football club
2. The board for failing to invest in the football club
3. The board for failing to invest in the football club
10. Roberto for not getting the most out of the squad.

I really want Roberto to do well but think that he (or any manager) will struggle to get the finishes we've got used to in the last decade.

Whilst the board are struggling to adapt to the rapid changes in modern football, it has to be said that at times last season and before, martinez had to be responsible for failing to adapt also. leaving Mirallas on the bench and playing etoo or barkley wide is one example. Refusing to take barry or mccarthy off when losing games, not just a goal but also general play, not being a threat to the opposition etc.

Im sorry mate but blame is at both the managers and boards door, i feel for the players sometimes.

The paradigm that Everton is a "7th or thereabouts" club needs some shifting. The likes of Southampton, Stoke, West Ham and Crystal Palace are crowding into that space. Fortunately there is still a good buffer from relegation with the likes of WBA, Villa, Newcastle, S'Land and of course the three promoted teams. But this buffer can disappear quickly. Sound investments by these latter clubs could quickly see more crowding in the 7-15th positions. Below that, it gets very uncomfortable as the deadly relegation spectre looms large

Another thing : what's with the outrageous injury list we always have?
Newcastle are spending this year and McClaren is a good manager. They will be fine. I think in the end even if we flirt with relegation which we probably will we will be somewhere in that group of. Newcastle, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham and Crystal Palace. My only hope is that we are working towards a new stadium. If we are then I will accept that level of performance. It sucks but it needs to be done however the board have to be straight with the fans if that is the goal.

We still should have got Shaqiri.

The paradigm that Everton is a "7th or thereabouts" club needs some shifting. The likes of Southampton, Stoke, West Ham and Crystal Palace are crowding into that space. Fortunately there is still a good buffer from relegation with the likes of WBA, Villa, Newcastle, S'Land and of course the three promoted teams. But this buffer can disappear quickly. Sound investments by these latter clubs could quickly see more crowding in the 7-15th positions. Below that, it gets very uncomfortable as the deadly relegation spectre looms large
This is a very good point. Its getting more and more difficult for us to be a top 8 club with those clubs progressing. It seems to me that we are not moving forward and these other clubs are just passing us by. We have the players in the squad where that should not happen, but I also feel the players we have are a bit too comfortable. We don't really have anyone on the bench that can challenge for starting spot, so our typical 11 has nobody pushing them. Roberto needs to bring in more capable players before the transfer window closes. Even if it means we sell Stones (I hope we don't) to bring in three or four quality players, it would help the squad tremendously. Just to get some new faces in the squad to shake things up a bit could be exactly what we need.

Another thing : what's with the outrageous injury list we always have?
We had that too under Ginger.

You'd think with two holding mids on the pitch Watford players wouldn't get any space around the edge of the box. Then you remember the two players are McCarthy and Barry who don't do anything and you see why Ighalo had enough time to wander from the half way line, put Stones on the ground, then Jags, then shoot without any of our 'holding midfielders' even coming into camera shot. Carsley used to do a better job than both of them combined. Hopeless wastes of space.

But, by then, we were playing with two forwards, Lukaku and Kone, and Barry had switched to left back.

We were at last making an attempt to threaten Watford in the closing stage of the game, as I think that most supporters would have wished.

We were caught out by a break from the player who has apparently scored more goals than any other in 2015.

But we persevered and scored again. There were obvious faults in our game, but I don't think you can blame Barry and McCarthy personally for the goal.

Doing nevilles job tonight apparently. I for one can't wait to hear about our phenomenal & exciting performance on Saturday where we showed great courage and incredible character really.

Should have changed his defensive staff last year, and paid some heed to the phrase '...if it ain't broke, don't fix it' initially, by which I mean to say, adapt the team gradually to how he'd like us to play imo. Perhaps he could have also increased training in weak areas once we started on our slippery slope to the Conference. Catch 22 now, as he's in Blue Bill's pocket after last season. All in all, I get the impression he doesn't work hard enough as he's too busy watching vid's of Socrates with Rom and Gaz.

But, by then, we were playing with two forwards, Lukaku and Kone, and Barry had switched to left back.

We were at last making an attempt to threaten Watford in the closing stage of the game, as I think that most supporters would have wished.

We were caught out by a break from the player who has apparently scored more goals than any other in 2015.

But we persevered and scored again. There were obvious faults in our game, but I don't think you can blame Barry and McCarthy personally for the goal.
Watch the reply of Barry walking for the first goal. You can blame him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back