Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me a post where you have supported his appointment.

Go back and look at the Martinez thread "shenanigans" I think. from when he was appointed and you'll see I was supportive of his appointment.

Didn't know how to quote myself unfortunately. But you love spending your days looking through my past posts so much it shouldn't be hard for u to find!!

Go back and look at the Martinez thread "shenanigans" I think. from when he was appointed and you'll see I was supportive of his appointment.

I don't know why people get so upset when people post opinions in opinion forums.

I'll quite happily state I wasn't keen on Roberto being appointed. I didn't think he'd done anything special at Wigan and was worried about his transfer market skills.

After season 1 I said he'd done really well. The signings had worked out really well and the alterations to the style of play were good.

Then season 2 happened and the things I'd worried about started to come to pass, the defence was shambolic and the quickness went from the attack when we didn't have Deulofeu/Pienaar/Osman quick feet in and around the box.

In season 3 he has attempted to rectify the problem by signing Cleverly and Deulofeu but we still have no number 10, centre back, striker or goalkeeper. All positions we desperately need to strengthen in.

In terms of who is to blame it goes
1. The board for failing to invest in the football club
2. The board for failing to invest in the football club
3. The board for failing to invest in the football club
10. Roberto for not getting the most out of the squad.

I really want Roberto to do well but think that he (or any manager) will struggle to get the finishes we've got used to in the last decade.

RM as the manager has to take a lot of the blame for how the supporters are feeling, but have to say those 2 goals conceded on Saturday where absolute shockers defensively....if they would have defended better, we prob would have been looking at a win

A lot of people tend to blame players for last season and not the manager but tend to say Martinez won the cup with Wigan. He knew exactly what he was getting into with the board so for me he takes the responsibility for all things bad and if he can turn it around like his first season he can take the plaudits for the good. I think his next signing will tell everyone what kind of season to expect.

I am convinced he will take us down !!
I think we could be in real danger this year. I don't think we will get much from the first 10 games and will be in and around the bottom all season. I just hope we can pull clear by the end. It's a perfect storm that's hit us with the extra investment in the premiership, us standing still, injury problems and that fixture list and a manager that I don't trust in a relegation scrap.

Realistically we're too good to go down but.....

That's been said before especially at clubs when the fanbase turned.

RM as the manager has to take a lot of the blame for how the supporters are feeling, but have to say those 2 goals conceded on Saturday where absolute shockers defensively....if they would have defended better, we prob would have been looking at a win
I blame the manager for that too. We didn't just go from one of the best defenses in the league to one of the poorest.

I don't know why people get so upset when people post opinions in opinion forums.

I'll quite happily state I wasn't keen on Roberto being appointed. I didn't think he'd done anything special at Wigan and was worried about his transfer market skills.

After season 1 I said he'd done really well. The signings had worked out really well and the alterations to the style of play were good.

Then season 2 happened and the things I'd worried about started to come to pass, the defence was shambolic and the quickness went from the attack when we didn't have Deulofeu/Pienaar/Osman quick feet in and around the box.

In season 3 he has attempted to rectify the problem by signing Cleverly and Deulofeu but we still have no number 10, centre back, striker or goalkeeper. All positions we desperately need to strengthen in.

In terms of who is to blame it goes
1. The board for failing to invest in the football club
2. The board for failing to invest in the football club
3. The board for failing to invest in the football club
10. Roberto for not getting the most out of the squad.

I really want Roberto to do well but think that he (or any manager) will struggle to get the finishes we've got used to in the last decade.
good post mate...and I suspect your last sentence may prove very prescient

Last edited:

You'd think with two holding mids on the pitch Watford players wouldn't get any space around the edge of the box. Then you remember the two players are McCarthy and Barry who don't do anything and you see why Ighalo had enough time to wander from the half way line, put Stones on the ground, then Jags, then shoot without any of our 'holding midfielders' even coming into camera shot. Carsley used to do a better job than both of them combined. Hopeless wastes of space.

You'd think with two holding mids on the pitch Watford players wouldn't get any space around the edge of the box. Then you remember the two players are McCarthy and Barry who don't do anything and you see why Ighalo had enough time to wander from the half way line, put Stones on the ground, then Jags, then shoot without any of our 'holding midfielders' even coming into camera shot. Carsley used to do a better job than both of them combined. Hopeless wastes of space.
Barry was walking when the first goal went in too. Our team is a bit like our manager. They don't recognize danger.

Martinez didn't recognize the danger of not getting a Pienaar replacement last summer or even January and he will make the same mistake this year by the looks of it.

The paradigm that Everton is a "7th or thereabouts" club needs some shifting. The likes of Southampton, Stoke, West Ham and Crystal Palace are crowding into that space. Fortunately there is still a good buffer from relegation with the likes of WBA, Villa, Newcastle, S'Land and of course the three promoted teams. But this buffer can disappear quickly. Sound investments by these latter clubs could quickly see more crowding in the 7-15th positions. Below that, it gets very uncomfortable as the deadly relegation spectre looms large

Another thing : what's with the outrageous injury list we always have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back