Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure.

We were all taken from primary school and walked to the parish church so we could go to specially convened Confession lol

There was a real end of the world feel to the whole thing from what I recall.....we used to hear the air raid sirens being tested in Garston in preparation for a Soviet nuclear attack on the big gasometer, which apparently Hitler had tried to bomb a few years previously :cool:
Yes mate, I remember that. We were living in Speke then just before moving to woolyback land!

You play Gareth Barry & Tim Howard enough,.......eventually you get sacked

Hard to argue with this.

I really want to like Martinez. But he makes it difficult. It's not easy to manage Everton i'd imagine for various reasons, but he should be able ot get a team to beat Watford with the players he does have.

I have said before on here in another thread and in my opinion it is still a truth....Martinez had a wake up call at a precise moment in his Everton career. That moment was the 6-2 defeat by Chelsea. We had scored twice against arguably the best team in the league..good 'football' goals as well, but we had shipped six goals at home. Everton up to that moment had been an attractive team to watch, and had been largely successful results wise. From that moment Martinez realised that we weren't Wigan, and that an entirely gung ho attitude would eventually lead to disaster. We started concentrating on 'defending' ...so nuch so that for a while the team seemed to be getting mixed messages in training, and this led to confusion on the field of play, which led to players holding on to the ball for long periods ...simply because they were afraid to lose possession. You've got to take chances in football, even if youre the best, but we were not prepared to take chances, we needed to 'make sure' about everything, and thus we became very easy to play against. I think Martinez realised this, and he has taken steps to overcome the problem. As the season goes on we will be more confident and consequently more successful. The catalyst may be a new signing in this window, it may even be Cleverley, or even Barkley if his potential is suddenly realised(encouraging signs against Watford, in patches). The complainers will always complain...its their right and there are probably deep sociological reasons why some people are never ever happy, all the anger in their life being directed at the easy targets of Martinez, Kenwright, Kone(!), refereees, etc. but I think top eight is a certainty for us and because the competition is the toughest for years just below the top three in the league, we could finish anywhere between 4th and 8th. This requires Arsenal, Chelsea ,one of the Manc clubs to have a poor season, but one of them is due a poor season. Won't be surprised to see another score draw in our next fixture, either !

I can't tell you how happy i'd be with that!

Hard to argue with this.

I really want to like Martinez. But he makes it difficult. It's not easy to manage Everton i'd imagine for various reasons, but he should be able ot get a team to beat Watford with the players he does have.

A lot of experience in the Watford side, and they scored lots of goals in the Championship.They will be the hardest of the promote teams to play against this season and can score lots as well as park the bus. Everton are not the only team to find it difficult to penetrate massed defence...a lot of teams find it difficult, even the top four on ocassions. We broke through in the end, after a very good substitution, which is one of the things that management is about.

pc glitch ! read the whole of my post above ijjy! Cheers !

All true mate. We saw how Arsenal couldn't get past Wham yesterday as they were sitting back with players blocking every avenue.

I did think Martinez subs were actually not bad on Saturday. People moaned at the Galloway one, but it made sense to me.

Either way, we should be beating a newly promoted team at home. Ah well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back