Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 wins in 38. Only 8 home losses in 39.

FACTS

We only won 12 league games last season, the season before we won 21, he cannot be living on that season IMO as it is dangerous.

I still pray that he gets a bit of luck with injuries and we see how he does with a full squad, but we most certainly appear to be on the decline at present.

We only won 12 league games last season, the season before we won 21, he cannot be living on that season IMO as it is dangerous.

I still pray that he gets a bit of luck with injuries and we see how he does with a full squad, but we most certainly appear to be on the decline at present.

That's a pretty healthy ratio of wins to losses, perhaps it might be prudent to actually give this season more than one game?

Yes, I have not advocated sacking him! I have just been bundles into that category of a "cabal" by some numpty on here.

I would give him until the end of October.

Oh don't worry about him, he won't be around for a while yet thanks to Woolly lol

A few months is needed, I'm positive we will have a good year though!

Oh don't worry about him, he won't be around for a while yet thanks to Woolly lol

A few months is needed, I'm positive we will have a good year though!

I wish I was too, something just isnt right though for me.

Hard to argue we are not as good defensively as we were in his first season. But also the attacking play is a worry, and we know the players had to ask him to change it and mix it up a bit last season.

Makes me think he is too stubborn and wants us to play like Barcelona when we don't have the penetration up top like they have, nor anybody with as much guile in modfield to able to spot a pass apart from Osman who is getting older.

Does Duncan have any input on match day, the reason I ask, he had the Goodison faithful going at his Testimonial,with his speech etc, and then the team came out against Watford like wet lettuces, think he should be giving a team talk on match day, over to you Martinez.

I wish I was too, something just isnt right though for me.

Hard to argue we are not as good defensively as we were in his first season. But also the attacking play is a worry, and we know the players had to ask him to change it and mix it up a bit last season.

Makes me think he is too stubborn and wants us to play like Barcelona when we don't have the penetration up top like they have, nor anybody with as much guile in modfield to able to spot a pass apart from Osman who is getting older.

The other way to look at it is they've had another year together learning to play a certain way and hopefully they'll be better for it, granted Watford wasn't a glowing endorsement of that but none of the top teams played well this weekend.

Need that X factor player to bring some enthusiasm into the mix and I'm confident he'll be signed in the next week.

When you extend a bar on outlawed words to stuff like 'cabal' I mean where are we going on a forum when that's mooted?

Swear filter/bans on swear words etc = entirely reasonable. Policing descriptive words like cabal? This cant be a serious proposition.

If I were a mod I'd be more concerned about people stepping over the mark in debates like this and labelling someone mentally deranged (I've done it and had it done to me). That I could see the reasoning of.

I really dont know what to say to your post, honestly. Does it mean simple descriptive words when attributed to any group is verboten now and that a prescribed glossary of acceptable ones are the order of the day?

I dont want to tell people how to do their job - and I'm well aware of how much of a headache administrating an issue like this can be - but I think I'd shut the thread down first rather than try and strike out inoffensive words.
You just need to stop using insulting and ,to some people, offensive phrasing and be less personal and then all will be ok.
For the record,I agree that the manager must be supported through thick and thin, but you harm your message with your attitude.
Everyone needs to take a step back and think before posting.
I hope we do not sell any players to recruit the 3 top players we are crying out for, and that all our injured players return quickly, especially Baines.

Remember Kruschev banging the table with his shoe at the UN. Scary days.

For sure.

We were all taken from primary school and walked to the parish church so we could go to specially convened Confession lol

There was a real end of the world feel to the whole thing from what I recall.....we used to hear the air raid sirens being tested in Garston in preparation for a Soviet nuclear attack on the big gasometer, which apparently Hitler had tried to bomb a few years previously :cool:

What annoys me most about the Martinez style of play is, when the opportunity arises to catch a team on the break we don't take it and at times we're far too slow and predictable in our build up play, we have the players to hit teams on the break and it's so frustrating that we simply don't do it. I don't want to see the return of hoof ball tactics,but this [Poor language removed] footing around at the back is costing us points.

Christ people are just praying that giving him more time and more money will get us back to where we started when he took over.

Sad times

Moyes' players are departing/losing form one by one. Martinez cannot rely on Pienaar and Osman like he did in his first season. We're also starting to see Howard drop off a cliff and maybe some cracks in Baines and Jagielka. You can't replace massive players like these with loans and precocious kids all the time. Martinez needs to start managing this squad better. The goalkeeping position is a joke. We have two senior centrebacks both with injury history, we loaned a left back out only to start the season with a kid playing there. We've bought countless central midfielders yet started the season with a 35 year old getting 90 mins. We're still playing midfielders or strikers on the wing, and we started with a blatantly unfit centre forward uptop because the options to replace him are unpalatable. This guy is supposed to be a premier league manager who's had almost 5 transfer windows to shape the squad yet his back 5 is all Moyes' and his first choice creative line up (Barkley, Pienaar, Mirallas, Osman) are all Moyes' too. Watford who have changed their entire lineup and manager looked a better unit than we did yet we're still getting excuses about how we're not over preseason and missing a few signings. He's not a new manager parachuted in, he's had ages to sort out any problem there is with team but he's generally done nothing with it apart from maybe increase the asset list buying up a host of starlets who look good on paper but offer nothing on the pitch, and allow Moyes' old players to rot. He needs to get his head out his backside and do some work because the squad is s joke at the moment and after two years in charge we shouldn't be hoping on a last minute deal to stop our season plunging towards the bottom half again.

Does Duncan have any input on match day, the reason I ask, he had the Goodison faithful going at his Testimonial,with his speech etc, and then the team came out against Watford like wet lettuces, think he should be giving a team talk on match day, over to you Martinez.
Apparently he not as boisterous in the changes as you'd think

I have said before on here in another thread and in my opinion it is still a truth....Martinez had a wake up call at a precise moment in his Everton career. That moment was the 6-2 defeat by Chelsea. We had scored twice against arguably the best team in the league..good 'football' goals as well, but we had shipped six goals at home. Everton up to that moment had been an attractive team to watch, and had been largely successful results wise. From that moment Martinez realised that we weren't Wigan, and that an entirely gung ho attitude would eventually lead to disaster. We started concentrating on 'defending' ...so nuch so that for a while the team seemed to be getting mixed messages in training, and this led to confusion on the field of play, which led to players holding on to the ball for long periods ...simply because they were afraid to lose possession. You've got to take chances in football, even if youre the best, but we were not prepared to take chances, we needed to 'make sure' about everything, and thus we became very easy to play against. I think Martinez realised this, and he has taken steps to overcome the problem. As the season goes on we will be more confident and consequently more successful. The catalyst may be a new signing in this window, it may even be Cleverley, or even Barkley if his potential is suddenly realised(encouraging signs against Watford, in patches). The complainers will always complain...its their right and there are probably deep sociological reasons why some people are never ever happy, all the anger in their life being directed at the easy targets of Martinez, Kenwright, Kone(!), refereees, etc. but I think top eight is a certainty for us and because the competition is the toughest for years just below the top three in the league, we could finish anywhere between 4th and 8th. This requires Arsenal, Chelsea ,one of the Manc clubs to have a poor season, but one of them is due a poor season. Won't be surprised to see another score draw in our next fixture, either !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back