Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We packed the midfield and harried them in that midfield, very rarely gave them time or space to play a pass forward meaning they tried to play through Barry and McCarthy to their strikers which was unsuccessful regularly. Picking up the ball in midfield more regularly meant we could move it quickly to our attackers skipping out their midfield entirely and giving us space to break into. In comparison when Chelsea did get the ball to their attackers we were touch tight and gave them little to work with.
We didn't let them play their football while we still played ours, notably picking them apart down the left with some clever movement, passing and marauding runs from Coleman.

Mourinho didn't have the answer to change what we were doing so you could say he was out thought.

For once we also didn't look like 11 clowns on defending any set piece mate, that alone made a massive difference

I do suspect things would have gone a bit differently were it not for Besic's injury, but even without that, Martinez clearly had them very well-drilled and organised. I don't think I've seen Hazard have a quieter game.

You say we were set up to negate their attacking threat, but isn't that always the case?

Exactly how were our tactics any different yesterday, and why did they enable us to defend well and attack well too?

Nobody has yet explained how Martinez' tactics were superior to those of Mourinho, or how he outwitted him.

I have, twice.

I bet you wanted Mark Hughes.

We packed the midfield and they couldn't play through us, hence why their only shot on target of note was Matic's goal. We soaked up their pressure and attacked in numbers, hence why Begovic made some good saves as well as conceding 3.

Not really sure what more you want.

I think Roberto must have said a little more than; Pack the midfield, soak up their pressure and attack in numbers.

Presumably each player is given specific instructions for each game; where to play when we have possession and where to play when we don't, how to play the ball out of defence, and how high to play our defensive line, for example.

Then there are the dead ball situations; how to take our goal kicks, free kicks and corners, and how to defend against theirs. Yesterday, for example, Kone came back to defend corners.

Mate, we played without the ball and just hit them on the break, similar to Southampton.

Chelsea were not in that game yesterday, I don't care what the stats say. We were set up to negate their attacking threat, which we did, how many shots on target did they have ? Their goal was a pot shot too.

McCarthy was not closing matic down because he was doubling up and closing the gap on the winger, which I think was Pedro at the time. Mourhnio didn't have a clue late on started throwing things at the wall to see what stuck. He completely abandoned all shape and threw players on.

Now tell me Bob's tactics didn't work when the best tactical manager in world football, completely abandoned all shape and hope and threw everything on.

He's had his arse kicked in those sort of games and he's changed, the derby at Goodison last year, he just completely shut them down. Europe has helped too, he's shown he knows how to change his team, Spurs away a few weeks ago, he shut up shop with 15/20 to go, he has never ever done that before.

The fact is, too many are waiting for a mistake to jump on his back and criticise him but if he continues on like yesterday, they won't have anything to complain about at all.

I have, twice.

I bet you wanted Mark Hughes.

It's interesting that the only specific example you give is where Chelsea overloaded McCarthy and Matic was able to score.

And Martinez is flexible - he has often reverted to three at the back to close a game down towards the end.

As you say, he shut down the derby at Goodison last season - playing Barry, McCarthy and Besic. But in that case, he reverted to three at the back for the last eight minutes to go for the win. This released Coleman down the wing - and he very nearly scored.

I think Roberto must have said a little more than; Pack the midfield, soak up their pressure and attack in numbers.

Presumably each player is given specific instructions for each game; where to play when we have possession and where to play when we don't, how to play the ball out of defence, and how high to play our defensive line, for example.

Then there are the dead ball situations; how to take our goal kicks, free kicks and corners, and how to defend against theirs. Yesterday, for example, Kone came back to defend corners.
I think @Titus Bramble was putting it in simple terms as everything else that has been explained to you has gone right over your head.

It's interesting that the only specific example you give is where Chelsea overloaded McCarthy and Matic was able to score.

And Martinez is flexible - he has often reverted to three at the back to close a game down towards the end.

As you say, he shut down the derby at Goodison last season - playing Barry, McCarthy and Besic. But in that case, he reverted to three at the back for the last eight minutes to go for the win. This released Coleman down the wing - and he very nearly scored.
What are you even arguing about anymore?

Martinez' tactics were spot on and Jose had no answer - not sure how you can disagree with that and none of your replies are supporting your argument.

We have the blueprints of an extraordinary counter attacking team which tends to thrive in European football. The one thing I hope Lukaku developes; just watch Fellaini against Liverpool. He controls every ball out of the air, and he was excellent at holding it up throughout the game. That would make Lukaku multi dimensional; as good as he is this element was severely lacking in yesterday's game. Otherwise he did a solid job.

I think Kone adds a lot to the game, but I would like to see Lukaku thrive on his own. It will make us better in the long run if Martinez can use a natural winger out wide.

Not sure if mentioned but its clear to me Martinez is learning from his mistakes. Referenced last season v Chelsea. Still scored 3 goals but wanted to be bit tighter.

To score 3 goals against them two years is impressive. To limit them too two shots on target is remarkable.

Is that from your source mate? Or your own opinion/analyse?

What are you even arguing about anymore?

Martinez' tactics were spot on and Jose had no answer - not sure how you can disagree with that and none of your replies are supporting your argument.

Perhaps you can tell me what his original tactics were, and how they changed when Naismith came on for Besic.

Besic seemed to be closing down the left wing, while Naismith played on the right, and went on to score a hat-trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back