2024/25 Roman Dixon

…..terrific running power but if he didn’t make the bench on Saturday, then probably a long way off being good enough for the first team, even with our RB situation.
Hmm, but Ashley Young isn't good enough for the first team either Eggs but he got selected. Give the kid a chance, I say, because the right back berth isn't one we currently have a wealth of choice for.

How’s it gonna harm his career by getting PL experience? Why should we be allowing Holgate to extend his career, he has no future at this club.
Because the fans kneejerking for a young player they have barely seen play, and have not seen in a competive professional game, are the same fans that will turn on the young lad if he has stinker.

Just getting experience does not mean he will be a better player for it.

How’s it gonna harm his career by getting PL experience? Why should we be allowing Holgate to extend his career, he has no future at this club.
Exactly, it's crazy talk. 20 years of age almost and the only right back available. Other clubs give debuts to players at 16 and 17 in the prem, especially if needs must. If they did put Holgate playing out of position there over him that would cause him more "harm" than playing.

Exactly, it's crazy talk. 20 years of age almost and the only right back available. Other clubs give debuts to players at 16 and 17 in the prem, especially if needs must. If they did put Holgate playing out of position there over him that would cause him more "harm" than playing.

Simple question to Dyche, would this lad do any worse than Ashley Young? Answer no he wouldn't.

Imagine the same scenario when young got sent off, Dixon would have matched Mitoma for pace and pushed him wide
We don't know that. I think Dixon would have struggled against Mitoma and he certainly would have been targeted by Brighton as Young was.

We need to look at the longer term for Dixon and what is best for his career development.
I think he may well go out on loan.

Hopefully he might reach the top level one day, but he looks miles away at the moment to me. The best thing for him this season would be a loan to League 1 or 2 and, if there had been any takers, I’m sure that would’ve happened already. There are lots of things to criticise Dyche for, but personally I don’t see this as one of them at all.

Because the fans kneejerking for a young player they have barely seen play, and have not seen in a competive professional game, are the same fans that will turn on the young lad if he has stinker.

Just getting experience does not mean he will be a better player for it.
It’s not a knee jerk though is it, we haven’t resolved the RB problem for nearly 3 years. If Patterson was fit we’d be saying play him because we know Dyche would still play anyone else over him. We’re bringing Dixon into the equation because he’s the only solution to the garbage scenario we find ourselves in.

Last edited:
…..terrific running power but if he didn’t make the bench on Saturday, then probably a long way off being good enough for the first team, even with our RB situation.
I mean Dyche wouldn’t play the World Class Braithwaite till he was forced to! This dixon could be cafu/maldini rolled into one he’d still opt to start young

It’s not a knee jerk though is it, we haven’t resolved the RB problem for nearly 3 years. If Patterson was fit we’d be saying play him, because we know Dyche would still play anyway else over him. We’re bringing Dixon into the equation because he’s the only solution to the garbage scenario we find ourselves in.
Dixon is clearly not even in the top 5 of our options and fans have seen him in a very limited capacity so the calls for him to be given a go are kneejerk.

If he's viewed to be a worse option than Coleman, Young, Patterson, Garner, Holgate for the rb slot then i would be concerned about his ability to play at this level.

Hmm, but Ashley Young isn't good enough for the first team either Eggs but he got selected. Give the kid a chance, I say, because the right back berth isn't one we currently have a wealth of choice for.

….i think the point made by @JLW is a valid one, this is more about who we don’t want than do want.

For those of us who tune into the Youth team thread, including many devoted watchers, Dixon has not been centrally discussed as somebody good enough or ready for progression. I actually thought he might be tried pre-season and could just impress but it seems he hasn’t done enough.

Like it or not, Young was part of a very effective defensive unit last season, Dixon was on very few people’s minds until pre-season.

The real answer is bringing somebody in, but if that doesn’t happen I fear we make do with what we have.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.