2024/25 Roman Dixon

…..terrific running power but if he didn’t make the bench on Saturday, then probably a long way off being good enough for the first team, even with our RB situation.
Those of us who have seen the lad like him but I doubt many would play him now, plenty of speed, loads of heart and bottle but not a very good defender, at the moment,lacks awareness and anticipation, they may come in the future. He would be coming into a team with poor defenders around him, with Branthwaite back and a stronger midfield he might cope but not at the moment. If Garner is fit I’d play him right back until we sign someone better.

Let's not destroy a lad before he even has a chance. The more I've thought about it sadly the more I think we do need to start Holgate as a right back on the weekend.

Maybe try and give this kid 45 mins against Doncaster

I haven't said otherwise I was responding to the suggestion that somebody couldn't do any worse by saying of course they could. He could have got a chasing for 10 minutes and then given away a penalty and got sent off and what happened for the last half an hour could have happened for 80 minutes instead. Like I said I'm not saying this is what would have happened just that it is certainly possible and we'd do well to remember that really its never quite as easy as we'd like to say it is from here. I'm all for giving him a chance but we shouldn't expect too much if we do. You don't have to go that far back to remember people saying we needed to get Jonjoe Kenny in the team and how much worse could he be and then not much later there were just as many people saying there must be somebody better than him how much worse can they be! A player you've never seen is always perfect in your head but then when they get on the pitch they aren't often any improvement on whats gone before.

Yes he could have got a pasting, he could of given away a penalty and he could have got sent off. "Could" is a very big word, he could of course played a lot better than an ageing, mistake ridden slow fullback called Ashley Young, but we will never know will we. And supporters wonder why half of our best young players just get off and leave the first chance they get. The thing is everybody knows how bad Keane, Young and Holgate are, nobody knows how Dixon or O'Brien will care until they get a chance.

Yes he could have got a pasting, he could of given away a penalty and he could have got sent off. "Could" is a very big word, he could of course played a lot better than an ageing, mistake ridden slow fullback called Ashley Young, but we will never know will we. And supporters wonder why half of our best young players just get off and leave the first chance they get. The thing is everybody knows how bad Keane, Young and Holgate are, nobody knows how Dixon or O'Brien will care until they get a chance.
Well the question was COULD he have done any worse so I don't know what you were expectimg me to say like I said I'm not saying he would do any worse not at all just that he definitely could have done he might be a player who is going to be playing in the conference when he's at his peak for all we know in which case asking him to play in the premier league before he reaches that point could be absolutely disastrous thats alls i'm saying we can all say just throw the kids in but most of them won't be good enough thats just the truth of it at all clubs maybe he will be the rare one that can make it at this level and that would be great for everyone.

Those of us who have seen the lad like him but I doubt many would play him now, plenty of speed, loads of heart and bottle but not a very good defender, at the moment,lacks awareness and anticipation, they may come in the future. He would be coming into a team with poor defenders around him, with Branthwaite back and a stronger midfield he might cope but not at the moment. If Garner is fit I’d play him right back until we sign someone better.
Exactly. It’s one thing blooding him in a team with decent players around him, it’s another thing entirely sticking him in with a bunch of basket cases. Could set him back years.

Well the question was COULD he have done any worse so I don't know what you were expectimg me to say like I said I'm not saying he would do any worse not at all just that he definitely could have done he might be a player who is going to be playing in the conference when he's at his peak for all we know in which case asking him to play in the premier league before he reaches that point could be absolutely disastrous thats alls i'm saying we can all say just throw the kids in but most of them won't be good enough thats just the truth of it at all clubs maybe he will be the rare one that can make it at this level and that would be great for everyone.

I was expecting you to not make things up as you went along. :lol: sorry to sound like Benny here but, fact Young did not have a good game, fact Young got caught in possession and got himself sent off with a stupid challenge, made the game if possible even worse for us. Dixon didn't and we will never know if he did or could do worse because Dyche doesn't trust him to play. Ashley Young has been a terrible player for us full stop, he won't improve, maybe a young player will. Same can be said for Keane and Holgate, who we are actively trying to sell.

I was expecting you to not make things up as you went along. :lol: sorry to sound like Benny here but, fact Young did not have a good game, fact Young got caught in possession and got himself sent off with a stupid challenge, made the game if possible even worse for us. Dixon didn't and we will never know if he did or could do worse because Dyche doesn't trust him to play. Ashley Young has been a terrible player for us full stop, he won't improve, maybe a young player will. Same can be said for Keane and Holgate, who we are actively trying to sell.
Its not making stuff up its answering a hypothetical question with a hypothetical answer you must be another one who can't actually read.

Simple question to Dyche, would this lad do any worse than Ashley Young? Answer no he wouldn't.

Imagine the same scenario when young got sent off, Dixon would have matched Mitoma for pace and pushed him wide
Young didn't particularly get done for pace but more by a bad decision to chest the ball down instead of heading it same as Gana's poor decision/execution of pass.
Dixon has potential but I'd rather see him thrown in v Doncaster than Spurs. Remember how poor the u21s were v Salford when the team got rotated.

With holgate at right back we all know what we’d get: nothing in an attacking sense and not much more in defending either.

I think it’s a good decision to put Dixon in. He’s got nothing to lose, he isn’t expected to cope today and if he doesn’t, at least he was given a chance. If he plays well, then it’ll be onwards and upwards for him.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back