2024/25 Roman Dixon

….i think the point made by @JLW is a valid one, this is more about who we don’t want than do want.

For those of us who tune into the Youth team thread, including many devoted watchers, Dixon has not been centrally discussed as somebody good enough or ready for progression. I actually thought he might be tried pre-season and could just impress but it seems he hasn’t done enough.

Like it or not, Young was part of a very effective defensive unit last season, Dixon was on very few people’s minds until pre-season.

The real answer is bringing somebody in, but if that doesn’t happen I fear we make do with what we have.
Fair comment, point taken

Where’s the harm in trying the lad on Saturday? We’re probably gonna get spanked either way. Besides, a good debut loss is a good character builder. Ask Seamus Coleman.

If he doesn’t get a go then he’ll never be good enough.
could do without a spanking already -3 so by my reckoning it’ll be -46873478 by sunday

He definitely COULD have done worse yes. I'm not saying he would have done I have no idea but even though people often say someone couldn't do any worse its only a saying its not actually true things can always be worse! Like other people have said we all want to see new faces because we want to believe that they'll be great and make the difference but most of the time it doesn't work out that way unfortunately.

Young is a busted flush mate, his legs have gone and he can only get worse. Dixon might well not be good enough, but has the tome to get better. How do you get premier experience if you don't play.

I barely know anything about the lad, but Dyche already deemed the entire youth and u23 set up and players as awful last season, which was a pretty disgraceful thing to say when he won't give any of them a chance even when his favourite comrades stink the place out on a weekly basis.

If there is a fit and ready u23 right back then they absolutely have to start against Spurs as the only current option is a by trade centre half that the club desperately wants to sell, is 4th choice in an emergency at right back, and was sent back due to woeful performances by a team that ended up getting relegated last season.

To be behind Holgate in the pecking order if you're a right back in the u23s - you need to get your dad or agent to sort you out a move asap.

Young is a busted flush mate, his legs have gone and he can only get worse. Dixon might well not be good enough, but has the tome to get better. How do you get premier experience if you don't play.
I haven't said otherwise I was responding to the suggestion that somebody couldn't do any worse by saying of course they could. He could have got a chasing for 10 minutes and then given away a penalty and got sent off and what happened for the last half an hour could have happened for 80 minutes instead. Like I said I'm not saying this is what would have happened just that it is certainly possible and we'd do well to remember that really its never quite as easy as we'd like to say it is from here. I'm all for giving him a chance but we shouldn't expect too much if we do. You don't have to go that far back to remember people saying we needed to get Jonjoe Kenny in the team and how much worse could he be and then not much later there were just as many people saying there must be somebody better than him how much worse can they be! A player you've never seen is always perfect in your head but then when they get on the pitch they aren't often any improvement on whats gone before.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back