Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a coincidence that this speaking out of class started when he got a new agent. He's playing the "I'll make the fans dislike me so I get a move easier" game.

So he wanted to leave for a CL club. Pretty reasonable and not exactly a secret considering he'd scored 45 goals in two seasons for two 11th place finishes and has ambitions to play in the CL.

Despite this he never forced a transfer despite the fact CL clubs were interested and respected the club's wish not to sell him. The stories of him leaving then dried up over the summer and he's now said he wants to be respectful of the club he plays for and leave 'through the front door'.

Seems a pretty decent fella to me. I get why people would prefer he wasn't so open about it and I respect that opinion, but as a fan I think I prefer to hear about a player's intentions and ambitions from themselves as opposed to through a transfer request and them forcing through a move out of nowhere, leading to a high-profile transfer saga where Everton are cast by the media in the role of the stubborn little club standing in the way of the poor talented player's career. That 'disrespects' the club much more than some honesty in a few interviews, in my opinion.

So he wanted to leave for a CL club. Pretty reasonable and not exactly a secret considering he'd scored 45 goals in two seasons for two 11th place finishes and has ambitions to play in the CL.

Despite this he never forced a transfer despite the fact CL clubs were interested and respected the club's wish not to sell him. The stories of him leaving then dried up over the summer and he's now said he wants to be respectful of the club he plays for and leave 'through the front door'.

Seems a pretty decent fella to me. I get why people would prefer he wasn't so open about it and I respect that opinion, but as a fan I think I prefer to hear about a player's intentions and ambitions from themselves as opposed to through a transfer request and them forcing through a move out of nowhere, leading to a high-profile transfer saga where Everton are cast by the media in the role of the stubborn little club standing in the way of the poor talented player's career. That 'disrespects' the club much more than some honesty in a few interviews, in my opinion.
Which CL clubs were interested?. I think the reason he settled down was because no-one was interested. Remember before Euros he was sold in his own mind, told everyone as much, but after a think he decided to respect EFC?. Nah, not having it.

Which CL clubs were interested?. I think the reason he settled down was because no-one was interested. Remember before Euros he was sold in his own mind, told everyone as much, but after a think he decided to respect EFC?. Nah, not having it.

I think Lukaku himself was quoted as saying Juventus and Chelsea (and possibly PSG?) were interested in separate past interviews (not that Chelsea are in the CL, but they'll be back in it next season), although it might have been someone else who confirmed those. Obviously you can never be 100% certain, but I'd be extremely surprised if there hasn't been interest in a player that scored 25 for a bottom half side last season and has scored consistently in one of the best leagues in the world for 4 years at just 23 years old.

The interest died because we made it clear we had put an enormous price tag on him and he wasn't going to force a move, in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me imagine there wasn't interest in a player like Romelu Lukaku just because he didn't have a good Euros.

Despite the issues it will cause I won't rue the day he leaves.

You would have thought the understanding was that his wishes would be granted next season, and he would knuckle down in the interim period and return to form.

Apparently that is too much to ask from Lukaku.

Good performances / goals are not something that can be turned on and off like a tap - his poor showings since last March are in no small part down to his poor, no, dreadful attitude.

Not sure what to expect from him, in this, the final year of his loan.

Juve going for him my backside! Unless we were prepared to let him go at a loss and he wanted to sit on the bench all season long. Against Italian defenders he'd be lucky to score 10 in a year.

He thinks top clubs are queuing up for his services, plain wrong and just, just maybe it was because he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo in the semi final or how he had one good game at the euros against the mighty defence of Ireland. He lives in cloud cuckoo land I swear.

He really isn't all that, I have doubts he will ever be top drawer material as his mind isn't sharp enough to deal with big games. Saying that though he is young and has got a good general scoring record. So we're dammed if we keep him, dammed if we sell him. Did Joseph Heller write Catch-22 about Lukaku and Everton by any chance...

Ok, so in the below interview he says he had the option to join Juventus and that he knew of the interest of a "few" other clubs. I'm inclined to believe the Juventus link unless someone can think of a reason why he would make that up?

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/n...aku-rejected-juventus-move-to-stay-at-everton
Correct me if I'm wrong but he's alluding to the summer we signed him i.e after his season long loan from Chelsea, not this summer. Juve signed Higuain for 90mill this summer, the only way they were interested in Rom this window was as backup if that deal fell through. Even that's a stretch. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back