Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taking the piss mate lol

You do make a good point though. You may be right to an extent but I don't think we have too much choice because Rom is streets ahead of any of our attacking players.

Maybe, Bainesy, but the slightly alarming thing for you and I and other blues, is that without him (let's say a serious injury) we could struggle, and find ourselves heading down the table, rather than up.

Maybe, Bainesy, but the slightly alarming thing for you and I and other blues, is that without him (let's say a serious injury) we could struggle, and find ourselves heading down the table, rather than up.
We would struggle massively to replace Rom. We'd probably have to do what Liverpool and Spurs did with the Bale/Suarez money by trying to improve the squad as a whole and hope for the best as there's little chance of us attracting a similar standard player unless we finish in the top 4.

[QUOTE="Eggs, post: 5013152, member: 16669]

Remember the time when we were taken over by a mysterious billionaire, and we dreamed of Mata, Witsel etc.. With Jose as our next gaffer..

No one mentioned Jim White or new deal for Gibson.

...to be fair, I think the Gibson deal was done during transition to Moshiri. I'm more optimistic but I think there's a realisation that even if Moshiri is the real deal, progress is going to be slow and largely reliant on the appointed manager.

Maybe Everton will sign one of the world class forwards that are up for being sold in order to accommodate Lukaku.

Do you think Bayern would be game for a straight swap for Lewandowski? Perhaps Barca will offer Suarez.

...to be fair, I think the Gibson deal was done during transition to Moshiri. I'm more optimistic but I think there's a realisation that even if Moshiri is the real deal, progress is going to be slow and largely reliant on the appointed manager.
Your correct on Gibson actually..
And the progress is clearly going to be slow, especially if we sell Rom.. Having already sold Stones.

My problem with all this goings on, is that I'm really close to not being arsed anymore.
If anything but a dock side stadium is announced, that will be it for me.

Sometimes I wonder if we've become the Lakaku show rather than Everton FC.

Great player and all that but everyone is replaceable, might not be a bad thing if he leaves, obviously we need a top replacement.

Your correct on Gibson actually..
And the progress is clearly going to be slow, especially if we sell Rom.. Having already sold Stones.

My problem with all this goings on, is that I'm really close to not being arsed anymore.
If anything but a dock side stadium is announced, that will be it for me.

....amazing how a win or two lifts the malaise, just like a heavy defeat makes us all seem down. I look at last season and think we are in better shape, not a lot better but better. At least we aren't rudderless. We are top half and picking up enough points (hopefully) to see us through 20 points by Christmas and give us breathing space.

....amazing how a win or two lifts the malaise, just like a heavy defeat makes us all seem down. I look at last season and think we are in better shape, not a lot better but better. At least we aren't rudderless. We are top half and picking up enough points (hopefully) to see us through 20 points by Christmas and give us breathing space.
I know a few wins helps mate, the ground thing has been bugging me big style for months though.
A good cup draw, a decent Derby performance.. Christ.. And we're sound like..

Yes I am still at this.

We lost the title in '85-'86 after having an 8 point lead with 12 games to go. WE caved in in the latter part of the season - it had nothing whatsoever to do what the RS did. WE CAVED IN. And a major factor in that caving in is shown in the undisputeable facts following the 2-0 win at the RS. In the 10 games following that 2-0 win, we scored only 9 goals. Two of them were from Lineker. So in those 10 tens we scored a total of 7 goals from other outfield players. In the last two games, when the RS had overtaken us and we no longer had the title opportunity in our own hands, we hammered a woeful Southampton 6-1, and in the swansong game of the season, when it didn't really matter any more, we beat West Ham 3-1, both those games at home.

Go check the above facts if you want. You won't find anything different...

As someone once advised a man in a hike......stop digging

The more you labour this point the deeper the hole you are digging :drunk:

Maybe Everton will sign one of the world class forwards that are up for being sold in order to accommodate Lukaku.

Do you think Bayern would be game for a straight swap for Lewandowski? Perhaps Barca will offer Suarez.

IMG_7984.webp

You need to read my post properly. I said the following 10 games after the 2-0 win at Anfield. I also said that we were 8 points ahead with 12 games to go.

In the folloiwing 10 games, it was 5-3-2.

Villa (h) 2-0
Chelsea (h) 1-1
Luton (a) 1-2
Newcastle (h) 1-0
Man U (a) 0-0
Arsenal (a) 1-0
Watford (a) 2-0
Ipswich (h) 1-0
Notts For (a) 0-0
Oxford (a) 0-1

The above were the following 10 games after the win at Anfield on 22nd February.

As I pointed out also, in the last 2 home games, it was out of our hands. At the Southampton home game, loads of people had radios, and we were following the RS score at Chelsea. They scored in the first half, and ended up winning 1-0 to clinch the title.

Please read my posts properly...
Or you could just, you know, not take stuff on a forum quite so seriously? I was making a flippant remark about how far we'd fallen, not criticising your post.

Now that you've poked me with a big stick though, I'll happily point out that I think you're chatting absolute wham & are using the most simplistic logic imaginable to try to make your point.

Your assertion that Liverpool winning the league had nothing to do with them, and actually was entirely our doing, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever had the good fortune to read. You can't isolate one stat from the other, the league is a competition between teams, so each team's performance has a direct effect on the league as a whole. If their form in the previous 12 games had been even close to that shown in their last 12, we would never have been in the title race. Hell, there wouldn't have been a title race, they'd have won it by February. When a team wins 11 and draws 1 of their last 12 games they will invariably win the league. If Liverpool had gone on a run like that in 85 or 87 we probably wouldn't have won the league then either.

You're blaming Lineker because it's the easy thing to do. His signing was the only obvious difference between the squads in those years so you're putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5. Despite it being pointed out that other players in the team scored plenty of goals that season, you've somehow managed to mangle the logic to such an extent that the teams failure to score many goals during a 10 game run is laid entirely at the feet of one man. You've also made the common but rather basic mistake of believing that a team's performance is measurable only against their own performance in other years, and not factoring in the varying quality of opposition. . It's a bit like suggesting the team that finished 4th with Kilbane, Watson, Bent et al was better than the teams finishing 5th with Arteta, Pienaar, Baines, Yakubu and then Barkley, Coleman and Lukaku

I think some people are guilty of doing the same with Lukaku. Rather than focussing on how reliant we are on him for goals and moaning that he doesn't hold the ball up well enough as if it's his fault, I prefer to think that if we actually signed some better players and played to Lukaku's strengths more, he could be the man to fire us to glory. It's a hell of a lot easier to win stuff with a 20+ goal a season striker in your side than it is without one.

You need to read my post properly. I said the following 10 games after the 2-0 win at Anfield. I also said that we were 8 points ahead with 12 games to go.

In the folloiwing 10 games, it was 5-3-2.

Villa (h) 2-0
Chelsea (h) 1-1
Luton (a) 1-2
Newcastle (h) 1-0
Man U (a) 0-0
Arsenal (a) 1-0
Watford (a) 2-0
Ipswich (h) 1-0
Notts For (a) 0-0
Oxford (a) 0-1

The above were the following 10 games after the win at Anfield on 22nd February.

As I pointed out also, in the last 2 home games, it was out of our hands. At the Southampton home game, loads of people had radios, and we were following the RS score at Chelsea. They scored in the first half, and ended up winning 1-0 to clinch the title.

Please read my posts properly...

So.......in order to make the facts fit your spurious argument, you are expunging the last two games of that season.

A 3-1 victory over Hammers and a 6-1 defeat of Saints.

lol

We won seven of our last twelve games and drew three.

That is 24 points out of 36.

As you have been told.....we did nowt or little wrong on the run in.

It was down to the RS winning eleven games and drawing one in the twelve games after they lost to us.

A truly phenomenal finish to the season.

If they had had a normal, or merely a great finish, we would have won the title comfortably because despite that they only beat us by two points :pint2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back