Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that not correct, though? We're a midtable club. And Rom is something special. He's only just turned 23 and he's already scored 50 goals for us.

Of course it is.

Burger King is better than McDonalds. (In my opinion..) but I dont expect to walk into McDonalds and ask for a Big Mac only for the bloke behind the counter to say "I wouldn't bother mate, the Whoppers are better next door."

Koeman is an employee of Everton. A very well paid one at that. He should be talking us up every chance he has regardless of the reality of the situation because part of his job is for him to make us attractive to potential players.

I don't think its the end of the world unlike some but he has been very naive/stupid here and I would expect better from someone of his experience.

What manager and player isn't though really mate.
Have you heard Klopp tell Coutinho he should leave Liverpool for Barcelona? Pochettino tell Kane to get out asap? Need I go on mate?

Treated us like small time, and rightly so many fans are now wondering once again just what the plans are for Everton...just a few days after being lifted by Moshiri's interview.

Is that not correct, though? We're a midtable club. And Rom is something special. He's only just turned 23 and he's already scored 50 goals for us.

Surely he has been hired to finish better than 6th in Moshiris own words...

So he should be focusing on doing so and attracting more lukaku level quality players to us...not trying to sell our best players

So he should be focusing on doing so and attracting more lukaku level quality players to us...not trying to sell our best players
I'm staggered that this even needs to be written at all really.
How any supporter can defend these comments is beyond me. Regardless of why Koeman said them, they make our club look small time.

Am really hoping that is not true surely are club couldn't have done that and Gambled with its future, wouldn't put it past this club though and that would be truly the nail in the coffin

True story mate. One of Rooneys family told my grandad Newcastle came in with a offer we couldn't refuse. United matched it (maybe a little less) but Rooney chose United over the Toon. United knew this hence the structured payments we had to accept (I use the term had to loosely).

I'm staggered that this even needs to be written at all really.
How any supporter can defend these comments is beyond me. Regardless of why Koeman said them, they make our club look small time.

The level of apologism for the quote is astounding tbf. I've made my peace with it as I suspect it's a calculated effort on Koeman's part to get a buyer for a player he doesn't rate. If I'm wrong about that, however, the comments are unforgivable

He hasn't. We needed to get into europa, so we hired a manager proven in this league in getting that. Us in europa improves our standings immensely when he sods off to the next club in a couple of years.

The level of apologism for the quote is astounding tbf. I've made my peace with it as I suspect it's a calculated effort on Koeman's part to get a buyer for a player he doesn't rate. If I'm wrong about that, however, the comments are unforgivable

lol

if he never had rom we would be languishing down the table right now. Yet he doesn't rate the fella that keeps scoring for him?

Not sure i get this mentality, i am sure koeman would not want to lose a 25 goals striker at all, especially one that even he believes could play for the top clubs in the world. That view makes no sense!

especially one that even he believes could play for the top clubs in the world.

He's espousing that view because he sees Lukaku for what he is and wants to find a gullible money-rich suitor. At least that's what I'm hoping he's doing. Otherwise he thinks the club I love is a joke and nothing more than a stepping stone for his own managerial career.

With the usual suspects refusing to acknowledge anything and everything obviously negative about Everton due to incredibly thick blue-tinted spectacles, I'll try and summarise exactly why this from Koeman is indefensible...

I've liked Koeman so far. The other day, I said I had very little fault to find with his approach. I've also said obviously Lukaku is gone next summer as he needs to further his career because we're not meeting the standards required for him right now.

So in terms of the general gist of what Koeman has said, there's not much actually factually wrong.

However... he is totally wrong in the tone and wording of what he's said. I've read the full quotes, and here's why he's slipped up and unveiled his own true mindset here.

As a the guy who is paid to manage Everton, he has to be the one who is trying to improve the club in every way. Football is a sport, a competition - therefore, no matter what, you play to win relative to your own status. Nobody is saying Koeman should be expecting to win the league this year, but every season that should be the stretch goal. For Everton, it's about realistic steps in the right direction - the first step should be Europe, then the Champions League, and so on. Failing to progress the club means you haven't managed the club effectively, thereby you've failed.

The issue with what Koeman has said is that it shows clearly he has no long term aims for Everton.

"His potential is greater and higher than Everton as a final destination. If Romelu was to play at Everton until the end of his career I know he has left something behind."

For him to say to a 23 year old footballer that his career would be wasted at Everton basically says he has no plan over the next five or six years to get to a level where we'd be winning trophies. He quite clearly now has no desire whatsoever to succeed at this club over the long term, otherwise he would not be writing off what Everton could be over the next 10 years.

That's the issue. Koeman sees us as nothing more than a short term stepping stone, and his comments regarding Lukaku is projecting his own view of the club onto a player, instead of looking out for the long term interests of the club.

So as said before, instead of aiming to win, Koeman is aiming to win for him in the short term by gaining marginal improvements on his pathetic predecessor over two seasons so his own stock isn't harmed. It completely unveils his own motivation for joining the club.

Despite decades of failure, that's not good enough for a club like ours. We shouldn't just be blindly accepting self-serving interests. The club is much bigger than Koeman and Lukaku combined and we'd do well to remember that.

Can people, for once, please try and not defend something that is clearly indefensible. It's not about whether it's true or not right now, it's about whether the manager of Everton should be writing off the club completely in the medium- to long-term, when it's his actual job to go about getting us to a higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back