Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid . He is a Donkey.with the money and the under 21 strikers fighting for a first team shot,after jan we wil have a few 20+ goal grabbers

SBoaAT3.gif

We sell Rom, he brings in someone who might only score 10 goals but others around him and chip in with 7-8 each or you have Rom scoring 20 odd with the rest scoring 3-4.

This is akin to what happened with Lineker. Scored 30-odd in '85-'86 and we won nothing. He moved on, and in '86-'87 we won the title again, with goals coming from a greater number of players on a regular basis...

I'd rather we have goals coming from everywhere rather than just the one outlet, we would have a higher rate of goals per game meaning we would win more than we lose

This is akin to what happened with Lineker. Scored 30-odd in '85-'86 and we won nothing. He moved on, and in '86-'87 we won the title again, with goals coming from a greater number of players on a regular basis...

More like 40 wasnt it?

But either way, the teams either side of him weighed in with far more than that season. Not his fault like, but just true.

I hate when people pull that hoary old chestnut out the hat.

I never know what the point being made is.

We were a far better team in the Lineker season than we were in '87, IMO.

In fact, I think the Lineker team was better than the 1985 team.

And from memory, we scored a lot more goals goals in '86 than we did in '87 :)

And there was only one point difference in the points tally between the two seasons, IIRC.

So having the goals scored by a greater mix of players made no difference in terms of total goals scored.

The difference between us winning the title in '86 and losing it was the RS putting an incredible run together after we beat them at the Pit in February.....plus Neville getting injured playing for Wales.

But it was nowt to do with Lineker scoring too many goals ;)

I hate when people pull that hoary old chestnut out the hat.

I never know what the point being made is.

We were a far better team in the Lineker season than we were in '87, IMO.

In fact, I think the Lineker team was better than the 1985 team.

And from memory, we scored a lot more goals goals in '86 than we did in '87 :)

And there was only one point difference in the points tally between the two seasons, IIRC.

So having the goals scored by a greater mix of players made no difference in terms of total goals scored.

The difference between us winning the title in '86 and losing it was the RS putting an incredible run together after we beat them at the Pit in February.....plus Neville getting injured playing for Wales.

But it was nowt to do with Lineker scoring too many goals ;)

Far better team with Lineker in '85-'86 than the team that won the title the following season. Don't think so. The team that won the title in '86-87 was a TEAM, all 11 on the pitch and the back-up players.

The Lineker team was better than the (1984-)1985 team? You ARE having a laugh!

"...The difference between us winning the title in '86 and losing it was the RS putting an incredible run together after we beat them at the Pit in February.....plus Neville getting injured playing for Wales..." Wrong. The difference was Lineker. Against Oxford, away. At 0-0 about 10 minutes from time. Clean through on goal with only the keeper to beat. Didn't score. They nipped up the other end and scored. We lost 1-0 when we should have picked up all three points. Thereby hangs the reason for the debacle of the '85-'86 season. Too much reliability on one player. Ditto for the Cup Final of '86. It was obvious that the RS plan was to keep Lineker quiet. That worked to perfection in the second half and they wiped the floor with us. It was painful for me to watch that in the Everton end at Wembley that day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back