Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utterly woeful tonight. Granted, the service into him was none existent, but his hold up play and general awareness was something you'd expect to see in League 1.

Most of the forwards in lower leagues are really good at hold up play and using strengths not so good at scoring 20+ goals a season in the top flight though unfortunately.

...he's not the all around package he thinks he is, anybody watching the United game will have noticed the stark comparison with Ibrahimovic. I know there's a view from inside the club that he's lazy but there is no doubt Everton Football Club is reliant on him for goals.

We went with hoof-balls the second half because he struggled so pathetically with basic passes in the first half. He can't accept that he has a part to play in the buildup, that his trampoline shins lead to more opposition attacks than Everton attacks, and that being a striker is more than waiting by the goal for a perfect pass

Imagine if we gave him the ball when he was waiting for it and not hoof it to him? Imagine if our team was not parked in their own half with him on his own 20 yards away surrounded by defenders.

Imagine if him waiting there was what he was told to do? get the hoof ball and control it? Except he is being asked to pretty much be Messi in being able to control and beat players at the same time?

Imagine if Ross barkely was anywhere near him on the pitch when he was trying to bring it down or flick it on? Because barkley is 30 yards away hitting that ball.

The service to him has been piss poor- I'll give you that. His teammates often don't provide enough support and he gets isolated up top. Having said that, in terms of the hoof balls; he is a BIG lad. He should be winning much more of those 50 50's. If they don't reach the target, oh well at least he won the ball. Very seldom does he hold the ball up effectively; he is certainly capable of it as we have seen it. If I'm being honest, he doesn't seem motivated at all and that really hurts the team. I love Lukaku and he is the best player on our team when he's up for it, but again, if I'm being honest, he hurt the team last night.

He didn't hurt the team at all mate, why was the team camping in its own half hoofing it? Perhaps that hurt the team more than just lukaku?

More to the point, perhaps, just perhaps, not having anyone to give the ball to after each hoof, having someone to run onto a flick, that sort of thing might warrent better results from him? Jesus we are a team who plays for the target man and gives him nothing to work with! Where is his support? What is the point in hoofing it if no-one is there to flick it on to or lay it off to?

Imagine if him waiting there was what he was told to do? get the hoof ball and control it? Except he is being asked to pretty much be Messi in being able to control and beat players at the same time?

No Ash, we're asking him to control basic passes, even if he's under a bit of pressure. We're asking him to do stuff Ibra and Costa do in their sleep. We're asking that he hold up the ball for 2 or 3 seconds until support comes, pass it off and run like a decent forward would do. We're asking him not to attach himself to centre halves and throw his arms in the air when nobody passes it to him. We're asking him to stop that pretend jump he does for high balls and actually attempt to win the ball when he's called upon. These aren't Messi things. These are basic things. We're asking him to do basic things.

No Ash, we're asking him to control basic passes, even if he's under a bit of pressure. We're asking him to do stuff Ibra and Costa do in their sleep. We're asking that he hold up the ball for 2 or 3 seconds until support comes, pass it off and run like a decent forward would do. We're asking him not to attach himself to centre halves and throw his arms in the air when nobody passes it to him. We're asking him to stop that pretend jump he does for high balls and actually attempt to win the ball when he's called upon. These are basic things. We're asking him to do basic things.
You mean the much older and much more experienced costa and ibra?

Also how fast do you think our team is? Can you cover 40 yards in 3 seconds with a bunch of people in the way? When he is winning these hoofs, as you say 3 seconds for barkley to sprint from our box into their half to support him, oh and also make sure none of the other team get in the way at the same time.

He only attaches himself to centre halves when we are putting the ball in the air for him. Notice on the ground he goes into space and gets shots away? When we actually create on the floor he makes himself available?

He does attempt to win the ball, he gets around 20 attempts per half when we hoof it to him.

Again i am not sure how effective you want lukaku to be with no support and 20 foot high balls combined? You expect him to dribble like messi around defenders? You expect him to hold it up for players to catch up with the ball? Actually go back and watch the game last night, see when these hoof balls come into him where the nearest player is, and more importantly, if the nearest player is not instructed to hold position just in case he doesn't win the ball?

Reactions: DRM
When he's facing goal Lukaku is a monster mate, all pace and power, the problem is when he's not scoring goals the argument could be that he doesn't really offer us anything else, he's not that great at holding the ball up to bring other players into the game, not that great in the air, for such a big lad he doesn't put himself about enough, also, Koeman supposedly likes his players to defend from the front, and Lukaku can be a tad lazy.

Not knocking him by the way (just playing devil's advocate) because we should be doing our utmost to keep him, and then bring the players in to compliment him, an example being a playmaker in the middle who Lukaku can feed off.
I remember several times in the second half were he drifted wide to make things happen. Runs towards their goal.... not a soul in support. Even if he did hold it up, no one was around him. He was also back defending corners, and I don't think we can get the best out of him when we rely on his height in our own half. Like you, I think he needs complementing with a fellow striker or a decent playmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back