Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is the sort of thing I was talking about:

From the Guardian.

Maybe it benefits Everton by having Lukaku stay for an extra year, or maybe it costs them 20% of £60-70 million.
There is agent fees and sign on fees for most big contracts. Plus a cut of what he earns. In an ideal world mino gets a contract bonus then within 1-3 years he gets a massive transfer bonus. Strictly speaking from an agents pov

I kind of think, from a distance of course, that we had no right signing such a player when we did. He was available due to the arrogance of the Spittle One. This is evident from how much Chelsea wanted to sign him back from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to be an Everton legend but I think we all know that his ambition was far greater (in desire) than Everton's (Board) was at the time. We've been lucky to have him stick around as long as he has and as much as I agree that to stay, the club need to be in a position of winning trophies and/or CL, I feel this isn't the only way to keep him. Lets face it, every player in Blighty wants trophies & CL, he's no different there. The only difference is that he (and all of us) knows that he could walk in to any of the top clubs & get what he wants immediately.

I'm sure that Koeman & Moshiri are in his ear selling the dream to him, but the key is working on his patience. If he's happy to enjoy the fruits of his & the teams labour, then he'll stick around. If he wants those moments now, then he's gone...IMHO.

What does he mean by this?

"we need to show him that the short future is at Everton"

Is this a reference to a year long extension?
I understood it simply to mean that short term, it's worth while him staying with us. That he can improve with us and simultaneously he can help us improve.

Rom is as ambitious to win trophies as any top player should be, but I get the feeling he wants to leave his stamp on any team he plays for. Maybe he wants to be the first player to score 100 prem goals for us (which he'll achieve if he stays next season), or maybe he wants to try and qualify for the champions league with Everton because he knows it'll be his goals that achieve it.

I'm basing this on absolutely nothing like. I just want him to stay

Occasionally we stumble across a player that, if we keep them, can help us reach the next level. I remember having 2 screensavers at work in 2002. One was the Kings Dock Stadium, and the other was that picture of Rooney in mid-air after scoring the winner at Elland Road for our first win there since God was a lad. We had a big opportunity there to build our future, and we know what happened. Now we have Lukaku and the Bramley Moore site, and it feels like another crossroads.

Everyone has been trying to second guess what he's going to do for years, but he's not a normal footballer. Be it ability, physique or maturity off the pitch, he's pretty remarkable whatever way you look at it. He speaks more languages than my family tree combined and could probably bench press my entire family as well like, the stud.

So whilst he has people influencing him, be it his dad, agent, the media, he's not really shown to be that pliable. He is quite unlike say, Rooney, who perhaps wasn't the brightest and was more easily influenced. Rom is ambitious and driven, but he's also self-critical and has a keen desire to be as good as he can be. Knowing all that it would be no surprise if he felt Everton was the right place to be, right now.

Whatever happens, he's been ace for us so let's just enjoy him being here. Don't sour the good times with worries of potential bad times that might never even come to fruition.

Everyone has been trying to second guess what he's going to do for years, but he's not a normal footballer. Be it ability, physique or maturity off the pitch, he's pretty remarkable whatever way you look at it. He speaks more languages than my family tree combined and could probably bench press my entire family as well like, the stud.

So whilst he has people influencing him, be it his dad, agent, the media, he's not really shown to be that pliable. He is quite unlike say, Rooney, who perhaps wasn't the brightest and was more easily influenced. Rom is ambitious and driven, but he's also self-critical and has a keen desire to be as good as he can be. Knowing all that it would be no surprise if he felt Everton was the right place to be, right now.

Whatever happens, he's been ace for us so let's just enjoy him being here. Don't sour the good times with worries of potential bad times that might never even come to fruition.

Round of applause !! Excellent post ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back