Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd that Kane is so involved in all of these multi-pass moves in the build-up to goals you talk about and yet he has less than half as many assists as Lukaku in his career. Over 3/4 years. Really strange.

That message hasn't been valid in a good number of games this season. It only takes one or two for long stretches of vastly improved performances to be forgotten.

As for getting his toe on the end of chances, sure, the goals against Leicester away, Sunderland home, Palace home, Bournemouth, City away etc were all practically open goals.

When I say 'multi-pass' moves, it's a clumsy way of saying he'll be a link player who gives the ball out wide before a cross is sent in for a goal, or play the first ball in a one-two etc. It's not an assist, but it's heavily involved in the move that led to the goal. Stats don't record that input on the game.

And I assume you've deliberately misinterpreted what I mean by "toe on the end" - I've said repeatedly he's a world class goalscorer who scores sensational goals. The point was that often he'll do it in games where he was all-but anonymous for 89 minutes other than that contribution.

He's had his best season for us so far in my view, weirdly enough. But only in that he's had a handful of games more where he's been somewhat effective.

I love Rom but he was a dope tonight, we'd be breaking down the left n he'd run right? So it'd have to be a worldie of a ball to get to him, didn't understand it. Seems the forwards played for themselves tonight, we should of killed the game off with abit more quality

It's odd that Kane is so involved in all of these multi-pass moves in the build-up to goals you talk about and yet he has less than half as many assists as Lukaku in his career. Over 3/4 years. Really strange.

That message hasn't been valid in a good number of games this season. It only takes one or two for long stretches of vastly improved performances to be forgotten.

As for getting his toe on the end of chances, sure, the goals against Leicester away, Sunderland home, Palace home, Bournemouth, City away etc were all practically open goals.

@Tubey makes a point that those assists are generally nice little moves and flicks around the box that come off or on counters.

Kane isn't a counter attack player but he'll get the ball and hold it to bring players in for attacks. He doesn't have to actually put it on a plate but he'll generally start a move by keeping the ball.

Rom very rarely does this. There's never been a point where I've seen him relieve pressure by holding it up when we're under the cosh.

I've seen him run at defenders. He's good at that

I've said it time and time again - if Lukaku goes, we can't replace him as a goalscorer, but we can certainly bring in better footballers to suit the team. That's why I'm not bothered if he goes.

I am bothered only in one respect - we've made his importance to the club so abundantly clear that selling him would indicate a lack of ambition. So I'd like us to give him a new contract, set a daft release clause and then sell him next year after we've piped down all the idiots about "not being able to keep hold of him."
Pains me to say but better footballers to suit the team in the same way firmino, mane, coutinho push the red s**te into a champions league spot

I love Rom but he was a dope tonight, we'd be breaking down the left n he'd run right? So it'd have to be a worldie of a ball to get to him, didn't understand it. Seems the forwards played for themselves tonight, we should of killed the game off with abit more quality
there was a couple of times where we were going down the left on a break (i think it was Ross both times) and Rom was hid behind his man over on the right, It would have taken a top drawer pass from Ross to pick him out, no movement from Rom to either go to the near post or to feint a move to generate a space from the defender to make the long pass easier. No wonder Ross' decision making is under scrutiny when Rom doesn't make it as easy as it could be. He's got loads to learn but I think he is going a bit Billy Big Bollox and knows it all.

he had one decent chance type thing were he was running at the man utd back 2 late on [he had shot blocked],and Barkley in the background 100% free was not even attempting to break sweat though he was wrecked it seemed,were if lukaku did pass and barkley did that we would have chance,all ifs etc,but we missed so many chances to have on the break tonight

Most of his goals are laid on a plate....and he and the media act like he has done a messi past the whole team.

If he went, we would still creat those chances.....maybe more as they may trust and like our new striker!!!

he had one decent chance type thing were he was running at the man utd back 2 late on [he had shot blocked],and Barkley in the background 100% free was not even attempting to break sweat though he was wrecked it seemed,were if lukaku did pass and barkley did that we would have chance,all ifs etc,but we missed so many chances to have on the break tonight

I mentioned before rm but I don't think I've ever seen us have so many breaks and absolutely screw each one up. Can you imagine if that was a Chelsea, City, Arsenal, even a bloody Leicester tonight! it would have been a cricket score.

Regardless of that conceded pen, if I was part of that back line tonight I'd bitch slap Ross, Rom and shout loudly at Calvert Lewin for some of the worst counter attacking togger I've ever witnessed. It was comical

there was a couple of times where we were going down the left on a break (i think it was Ross both times) and Rom was hid behind his man over on the right, It would have taken a top drawer pass from Ross to pick him out, no movement from Rom to either go to the near post or to feint a move to generate a space from the defender to make the long pass easier. No wonder Ross' decision making is under scrutiny when Rom doesn't make it as easy as it could be. He's got loads to learn but I think he is going a bit Billy Big Bollox and knows it all.
Agreed. He was way too static on them breaks

When I say 'multi-pass' moves, it's a clumsy way of saying he'll be a link player who gives the ball out wide before a cross is sent in for a goal, or play the first ball in a one-two etc. It's not an assist, but it's heavily involved in the move that led to the goal. Stats don't record that input on the game.

And I assume you've deliberately misinterpreted what I mean by "toe on the end" - I've said repeatedly he's a world class goalscorer who scores sensational goals. The point was that often he'll do it in games where he was all-but anonymous for 89 minutes other than that contribution.

He's had his best season for us so far in my view, weirdly enough. But only in that he's had a handful of games more where he's been somewhat effective.

To also reply to @kenada_blue, there's no doubt Kane's hold up play is better than Lukaku's and his contribution in starting moves by simply not being dispossessed as often in those situations helps Spurs team more than Lukaku currently helps us, but clearly Lukaku's not lacking in the ability to create chances, either to score for himself or for others and his contribution beyond scoring goals is often played down to the point of being unfair. His assist record is all the more impressive given the fact we've not had a decent second goalscorer at the club in his time here, unlike Spurs in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back