Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully agree mate.

I think some of this will be people's self defence mechanisms kicking in, so they aren't too disappointed when/if he does go. I think it's fair to say it's going to be near on impossible to replace him like for like. But we will get good money for him if he goes this summer and we should be able to buy an experienced striker and an emerging prospect (similar to what we did with Rom 3 years ago). The sort of thing I would like to see is King from Bournemouth and Dembele from Celtic or something along those lines.

But first choice would definitely be Rom staying, at least for another year and preferably with him signing a new contract.

The other thing to remember, which is important at the moment due to our squad rebuilding, is Rom is classed as home grown.
Although untried in the premier league, dembele is the only one with the attributes to replace lukaku like for like as they are both similar in how they play.

I see it is being widely reported that Chelsea have had a 80m+ bid for belotti turned down. Maybe rom isn't their first choice after all.

Please, are you suggesting we can do without Lukaku because 'his goals dont count"?

Honestly mate I'm a little bored of the same old argument, as @Thomasc said, it's like some people think we are going to replace him with an inanimate object.

I think the pragmatic thing to do at this point is let it go, assume he's leaving and look to the future, any other scenario is an unexpected bonus.

Last edited:
if lukaku goes it wont be to Chelsea, can see arsenal putting a bid him for him though ( not saying he would go there like, don't exactly win things anymore and not on the up)

if lukaku goes it wont be to Chelsea, can see arsenal putting a bid him for him though ( not saying he would go there like, don't exactly win things anymore and not on the up)

Can't see that. They would probably put in a bid like £10m with £5m added on to be paid over 5 years.

Obviously don't want him to go, he will be a big loss just as we seem to be going somewhere.

I think there will be a few twists in this. His agent has been very quiet, I'd expect him to be piping up.

The same Rooney who can't get a game for Utd? The media only give us air time when it's signing players that pose no threat to their super duper sky 6 hierarchy. No one would care if it was someone like Niasse for example but the media know Roms our best player and they are doing all they can to try get him the move.

A perfect example is when Man City were after Sterling, the media purposely filled the interviews with ex Liverpool players slating Sterling, funnily enough no man city ex players on talking his move and that's because the media bias 4 clubs in the main- Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool.

giphy.gif

We hold all the cards, he has 2 years left on his contact. Its a case of meeting our valuation or staying put.
I think whatever we get for him now, he will be worth the same amount with 1 year left on his deal this time next year.

I see it is being widely reported that Chelsea have had a 80m+ bid for belotti turned down. Maybe rom isn't their first choice after all.

Conte is a big Morata fan too and Morata said he bid for him at the beginning of this season but Real wouldnt let him leave. He's not been getting much game time recently so they may be prepared to let him go this summer - if so, he could be on his way to Chelsea and that leaves Rom short of options.

It'll be a travesty if he goes,
There's no chance we'll have anyone as prolific at his age and ability for a long time again,
I'm hoping he'll stay for at least another 12 months and see where we are then.
We have got to make strides on and off the park quickly to convince players to stay and others to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back