Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem at Everton this season is that there is no one to challenge Lukaku for his position.
Every player has poor days and when they do the next in line gets an opportunity to stake a place for themselves.
There is nobody even close to Lukaku in our squad and there is no point pretending there is, so when he has a bad day, he is still going to start the next day.
Last season he had stopped playing long before this time of season and to be fair to him he has worked hard and played well for the overwhelming majority of this season.....but he still needs serious competition.

Part of the problem at Everton this season is that there is no one to challenge Lukaku for his position.
Every player has poor days and when they do the next in line gets an opportunity to stake a place for themselves.
There is nobody even close to Lukaku in our squad and there is no point pretending there is, so when he has a bad day, he is still going to start the next day.
Last season he had stopped playing long before this time of season and to be fair to him he has worked hard and played well for the overwhelming majority of this season.....but he still needs serious competition.
I agree with this, which he knows full well. Will be interesting if and when he does leave and he has serious competition in a squad what happens to him..i do think if koeman had another decent option he would be dropped... and I think other managers would do the same... maybe this is the reason there are not people slamming down our door with bids...

Yes he's a great goal scorer but that's about it really. He won't get as much game time at say real Madrid or psg or Barcelona.. . Here we can build a side around him get in better players to feed him more and play to his strengths.... if he moves that may not be the case.

As they say.. grass isn't always greener.

Reactions: JLW
I like him, but will be interested to see what sort of strikers he goes for to replace him. Maybe a traditional target man and a poacher, would at least allow us to vary play a bit more.
View attachment 36381

This graph illustrates some of what you say. We do not have the 3 or 4 players who will hit double figures. Man Utd have had similar issues this season hence why they are placed next to us in the league.

But when you look at Chelsea, Lpool and Spurs in particular you can see why the are the top 3 currently because of their spread of goals.

When we won the league in 87/88, Sharp only scored 5 league goals. Our top 2 scorers where left and right wing (sheedy and steven).

Lineker scored 30 and we won nothing.

Lineker like Rom was a goal scorer first and foremost. But he only won a Spanish cup and cup winners cup in his career.

So while i think replacing his goals will not be easy, we should not be relying on one player to move us forward.

1987/88?

In 1986/7 Sheedy scored 13, Heath 11, Steven 10, Clarke, 5, Power, Stevens & Watson each scored 4.

In 2016/17 Lukaku 24 then Barkley,Mirlass and Coleman on 4 each.

I agree it's not going to be easy .

View attachment 36381

This graph illustrates some of what you say. We do not have the 3 or 4 players who will hit double figures. Man Utd have had similar issues this season hence why they are placed next to us in the league.

But when you look at Chelsea, Lpool and Spurs in particular you can see why the are the top 3 currently because of their spread of goals.

When we won the league in 87/88, Sharp only scored 5 league goals. Our top 2 scorers where left and right wing (sheedy and steven).

Lineker like Rom was a goal scorer first and foremost. But he only won a Spanish cup and cup winners cup in his career.

So while i think replacing his goals will not be easy, we should not be relying on one player to move us forward.

He also has Six assists and would have had a lot more if the rest of the team knew how to score though.

View attachment 36381

He also won an FA Cup, a second division championship and a charity shield.
But for a clown of an England manager he would be England's top scorer.
And he certainly wasn't the reason we won nothing in 1986.

No player gets dropped after one poor game.

There's no issue about competition for Rom. It's support.

We have a lot of players who score goals, but none of them bar Rom score enough regularly.

Reactions: DRM
Mate there's no one close in the league.
Have to agree totally with that.
We will find it impossible to replace Rom
Players of his ilk are rare.
The top strikers in world football won't join us.
We'd need a Cavani ,Griezman ,Higuain to replace Rom.
This talk of buying 2 players to replace Rom , FFS we can only field 11 players.
In the 50 yrs I'm supporting Everton he's the most natural and consistent goal scorer we've had.
No one comes close.
Yes he has his faults and weaknesses , but Koeman plays to his strengths as he knows he will guarantee goals.
I hope and pray we keep him for at least one more season.
All the talk of Chelsea and United wanting him so far is just talk
The 100 million price tag was in my opinion put on Rom to make these clubs look elsewhere if they were indeed condidering a bid for Rom.
Rom would score plenty of goals for any side in the PL and would increase Chelsea and uniteds chance of winning the league.
However these clubs look beyond the league
The CL is their holy grail.
If Rom is the top striker and finished article you need for CL victory why have Real , Athletico,Barca PSG ,Juve Bayern not been sniffing around.
Real and one or two others have the money so why no interest
Instead it's Griezman , DYBALA , MpBappe Lewodonski (sp) who are attracting the interest.
Would Rom get the time and space to score against Juve or Bayern. ??
For all his attributes I don't think Rom is ready for the elite stages of the CL hence I think Chelsea and United will go for cheaper polished more CL ready options like Griezman ,Morata DYBALA and so on.
Hopefully I'm right and we keep Rom invest heavily in the squad and push for top 4 next season.

Have to agree totally with that.
We will find it impossible to replace Rom
Players of his ilk are rare.
The top strikers in world football won't join us.
We'd need a Cavani ,Griezman ,Higuain to replace Rom.
This talk of buying 2 players to replace Rom , FFS we can only field 11 players.
In the 50 yrs I'm supporting Everton he's the most natural and consistent goal scorer we've had.
No one comes close.
Yes he has his faults and weaknesses , but Koeman plays to his strengths as he knows he will guarantee goals.
I hope and pray we keep him for at least one more season.
All the talk of Chelsea and United wanting him so far is just talk
The 100 million price tag was in my opinion put on Rom to make these clubs look elsewhere if they were indeed condidering a bid for Rom.
Rom would score plenty of goals for any side in the PL and would increase Chelsea and uniteds chance of winning the league.
However these clubs look beyond the league
The CL is their holy grail.
If Rom is the top striker and finished article you need for CL victory why have Real , Athletico,Barca PSG ,Juve Bayern not been sniffing around.
Real and one or two others have the money so why no interest
Instead it's Griezman , DYBALA , MpBappe Lewodonski (sp) who are attracting the interest.
Would Rom get the time and space to score against Juve or Bayern. ??
For all his attributes I don't think Rom is ready for the elite stages of the CL hence I think Chelsea and United will go for cheaper polished more CL ready options like Griezman ,Morata DYBALA and so on.
Hopefully I'm right and we keep Rom invest heavily in the squad and push for top 4 next season.
We will find it difficult to find somebody who plays the way he does. but we will have no problem replacing him. Hes not scored a significant goal this season against any of the top ten save city with their disastrous defence. His hold up play is adequate at best, his attitude and work rate mediocre, I have no confidence going into any game of significance that he will make a difference. Cash in, and on we go.
ps he's not a patch on LIneker, not a patch

No player gets dropped after one poor game.

There's no issue about competition for Rom. It's support.

We have a lot of players who score goals, but none of them bar Rom score enough regularly.
Of course there is an issue about competition. The big successful teams all have large competitive squads where places in the first eleven are fiercely guarded and fought for. It is extremely difficult to continually be at your best if there is nobody pushing you.

Support. If there wasn't adequate support then Lukaku would not be able to score as many goals as he has. Football is a team game and no one player can do it all on his own.
The team is built around Lukaku and his goals and I don't believe RK is completely comfortable with that.

I think he would be happier with a harder working centreforward and the goals being shared out more evenly throughout the team.

I think Lukaku is a goal scorer and judges his success and form on goals scored only.
RK has clearly worked hard with Lukaku to improve his overall game.. with a lot of success. But, I think the biggest flaw in Lukaku is his desiree to score goals at any cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back