Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nonsense, he looks out of his depth against better defenders, organised teams, the service argument is rubbish because the ball just bounces off him and comes straight back at us, his all round game has time after time been proved to be not up to it in the bigger games

Not at all.

When given the chance in the 'bigger' games, he's scored, more often than not.

This 100%.
Said it time and time again, a striker is only as good as the service he gets. Whilst Im having a rant, people saying we won nothing when Linekar was here after scoring 30odd goals, well, we won naff all when Latchford scored 30. In fact we won nothing for 14 years. And now we have won nothing for 22. To start winning things, we need to keep the likes of Rom and Barkley and get in better players to move on. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Rom should go needs their heads examined. Rant over.

Agree mostly mate!

If Rom does go, though, I do think we'll get a huge fee and I'd trust Koeman and Walsh to find the right replacements that would improve us as well.

But ideally, he stays and continues to be boss.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/romelu-lukaku-not-good-enough-10381024

Romelu Lukaku is not good enough for Manchester United, claims former coach Rene Meulensteen.

Meulensteen was part of Sir Alex Ferguson's final backroom at Old Trafford and insists Lukaku has weaknesses.

Lukaku, 23, is on United's radar as they look to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic next season and the Belgium hitman is set to finish the season as the Premier League's top scorer on 24.

But Meulensteen isn't convinced by the former Chelsea man and says he is not the type of striker United need.

"Don't get me wrong here, Lukaku has obviously had a fantastic season and he is a goalscorer," said the Dutchman.

"But at a club like Manchester United, you need more strings to your bow.

"What he needs to develop definitely is his game on the ball, in terms of quick combinations with his team-mates.

"That's where he falls short, I think, and it's something that's not as exposed at a club like Everton.

"But if you play at the highest level, your finesse on the ball in the final third, your decision making has to be absolutely spot on.

"Yes, he would bring power, he would bring strength, but when you look over the years at the strikers United have had, does he fit in the same line of strikers? I don't think so."

Absolutely, 100% spot on, as I've said for months, if not years.

This 100%.
Said it time and time again, a striker is only as good as the service he gets. Whilst Im having a rant, people saying we won nothing when Linekar was here after scoring 30odd goals, well, we won naff all when Latchford scored 30. In fact we won nothing for 14 years. And now we have won nothing for 22. To start winning things, we need to keep the likes of Rom and Barkley and get in better players to move on. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Rom should go needs their heads examined. Rant over.

He gets the service, that's why he's scored that many goals. It doesn't work in a bubble - if the ball doesn't go to him, he can't score a goal, so for goalscoring purposes he obviously gets the service.

What he doesn't do is get involved in general play and link up with other attacking players to bring them into the final third, so the overall team is more effective attacking. You are mistaking service with offensive cohesion as a team. How is a full back supposed to get up the pitch to crossing areas if the striker is not arsed in the slightest in holding play up and giving them time to do it? Why should they gamble and make that run when ol' ping pong shins is probably going to give it away in 2 seconds flat and leave you massive out of position for the counter?

So what happens instead is that we break down in offensive areas over and over again because we've got an attacking focal point who can't get the team up the pitch reliably.

That's why Lukaku is a goalscoring asset, yet a footballing liability. I firmly believe that if we can mug a club of £80m+ and improve the squad, we can start building a team that plays like a top club does, because Lukaku does not allow you, as a team, to play possession, quality football that the really good sides do.

Balague saying what has been said for a while, Conte wants Morata, Emanolo wants Lukaku - surely they have to let the manager make the decision.

He told Sky Sports: "Morata wants to see what happens with Chelsea.

"There is a choice to be made between Romelu Lukaku and Morata, the first one preferred by the club and the second by Antonio Conte.

"I think Morata will suit Chelsea much better. His movement, the knowledge of the coach, his intelligence would suit the London outfit."

Spanish outlet Diario Gol reported yesterday that Morata has already agreed to join Chelsea this summer.

So is lukaku the reason Mirallas and Barkley don't get many goals as lukkau not good as link up play

Barkley is at his best when he drives on goal or makes late runs into the box after dictating play deeper. So yes, he would score more goals and be generally more effective with a forward who lets him get beyond the striker. Similarly, Lukaku would probably score more goals if a Sigurdsson was in place of Barkley, as he's more of an instinctive passer. Barkley and Lukaku don't work well together, but Barkley is well more suited to the quality football we'd need to display to seriously challenge the Champions League places in coming seasons - that's my view.

Mirallas I don't want to comment on as I don't rate him, so I don't think he'd be effective for us regardless. He's a player who turns up when he feels like it and is a level below what we should have in that role. I'd personally move him on in the summer.

Balague saying what has been said for a while, Conte wants Morata, Emanolo wants Lukaku - surely they have to let the manager make the decision.

He told Sky Sports: "Morata wants to see what happens with Chelsea.

"There is a choice to be made between Romelu Lukaku and Morata, the first one preferred by the club and the second by Antonio Conte.

"I think Morata will suit Chelsea much better. His movement, the knowledge of the coach, his intelligence would suit the London outfit."

Spanish outlet Diario Gol reported yesterday that Morata has already agreed to join Chelsea this summer.

Let's hope Emanolo wins out on this one, because if Costa goes to China first (which looks likely), we'll be able to fleece them for Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back