Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1985 we bought a player who scored 40 goals for us that season and sold a player who worked hard, not for himself but for the team. We were the best team in the country if not Europe at the time and what happened. We had the most heartbreaking season in our history. The following season we sold the goal machine and won the title again sharing the goals amongst the team. Football is and always will be a team game. It's not about individuals.

End of season pondering.

The biggest issue with rom is that he makes is a one man team. The whole team sets up to play to him and yet none of them can actually do it which means attack wise at times we are terrible. So selling rom and signing a player who can play our tactics seems the logical thing right?

But despite him making us a one man team, he is also head and shoulders better than everyone else so in a way he is unsellable. He has to he kept because a full formed lukaku is top class and no-one comes close to that. If we want to improve then we need his quality in the team.

Sadly I do want him to go this summer though. It is difficult to build around a player who essentially is waiting for another club to sign him. We could build a system to suit him and then August 31st he ups and leaves and the system fails. Saying all of that I still don't trust the club to adequately replace him.

So it's rock and hard place scenarios. I want us to keep him but he clearly wants to go. If the club could replace him guaranteed with a player who could match his goals then absolutely get rid, but I fear that once he goes he will leave a massive hole in the club that kenwright and elstone will try and fail to fill up again.

The service he gets is very limited.

Ibrahimovic had more chances created for him against us last month than Rom has had created for him in the whole of this calendar year so far.
According to the Everton fan who also does the stats for sky sports.

Barkley has created 23 chances for rom this season prior to today's games. That's the most in the prem this season, for one player creating for another.
I think Rom has scored 3 goals from them chances.

Barkley has created 23 chances for rom this season prior to today's games. That's the most in the prem this season, for one player creating for another.

The thing is though, "chance" would include balls to feet just outside the box, which Rom wastes by ping pong shinning them away a lot of the time, so it's an unreliable stat.

I think Barkley gives Lukaku service, but it's not the service Lukaku thrives on. A different type of striker would.

The thing is though, "chance" would include balls to feet just outside the box, which Rom wastes by ping pong shinning them away a lot of the time, so it's an unreliable stat.

I think Barkley gives Lukaku service, but it's not the service Lukaku thrives on. A different type of striker would.

interesting, then we need another decent, different type of striker just to see how the team plays/does instead of an out and out goalscorer

That's interesting

I read a stat the other day that in 4 years playing together, Ross has assisted Rom 5 times in total, which is obviously far less impressive.

interesting, then we need another decent, different type of striker just to see how the team plays/does instead of an out and out goalscorer
No matter what, there has to be a serious effort made to bring in another competent striker who could offer something different.

I can't watch Everton go to Anfield with Lukaku up front again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back