Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

My thought on the trophy side is that if a player tastes success then he may be able to be convinced to stay and try and build on that, as with a trophy success we could attract better players to play alongside him and hopefully go on to challenge for CL qualification.

As for the bit in bold, I agree, but the main point is that there are relatively very few clubs who could afford him.

In the prem -

Chelsea - if they sell Hazard, but would he go back there, would they take the hit and will they be in the CL - it's doubtful.

City - Unless Aguero goes then probably not as he wouldn't be first choice - unless Pep comes in and plays 4-4-2...

Arsenal - I think he'd be perfect for them, but would Arsene pay £65mil for one player...

United - They need a forward, depends on who is their manager (Mourinho if he's there will not get take him). They obviously have the money though.

Abroad

PSG - Think he's most likely to join them. He'd waltz the French league and be able to compete on the CL front.

Real - They have a transfer ban coming up so may look to get him in this summer.

Barca - Not gonna get in ahead of any of the players they have up top.

Bayern - With PSG i'd say it's the most likely possibility.

So that's 8 sides (realistically 7 discounting Chelsea) that could make a move for him. I think a lot depends on the Euros as well.

I see your logic there and you make some good points.

My thoughts would be that he’d be more likely to think, ‘I’ve won a trophy at a club who hadn’t won one for 20 years, now I want to win a league title or play Champions League football.’ I think everything rested on top 4 this season in regards to Stones and Lukaku, I’d imagine Martinez is fully aware both want out if we don’t get it, which is why he keeps mentioning it in the press, because he doesn’t want anyone to think the chance has gone and it all to fall apart. If we got top 4 I think both could stay on.

Arsenal paid over £40m for Ozil, and a decent amount on Sanchez. I agree it’s not the norm for them though, but I could see them being interested especially because of his age. I agree he’d be perfect for them as well, like an upgrade on Giroud. I agree with your assessment of the other sides, I can see PSG being the front runners. I reckon if Mourinho goes to Utd then he may go for Lukaku and persuade him he’ll turn him in to Drogba. Stranger things have happened.

You’re right the Euros will play a part and the better he does the more money we’re likely to get. In fairness from an Everton POV, this may be the best Summer to sell him, if he shows a desire to leave long term. He has about 3 years on his contract left and with the Euros this Summer, he’s been highly motivated all season to be first choice for Belgium there. If he does well his stock will be huge after a good season here as well.

If we keep hold of him for another season, then next year he won’t have the Euros as motivation (which we saw with Beattie, Jelavic is a big factor for players), and could suffer a potential hangover at the start of the season. By next Summer, his stock may not be as high, and with less time on his contract remaining and the chance of running it down to 12 months, we could be in a more difficult position in terms of prices.

I hope he stays and I hope Stones does as well, as under the right guidance we could have a very promising side. I just don’t see it happening.

My thought on the trophy side is that if a player tastes success then he may be able to be convinced to stay and try and build on that, as with a trophy success we could attract better players to play alongside him and hopefully go on to challenge for CL qualification.

As for the bit in bold, I agree, but the main point is that there are relatively very few clubs who could afford him.

In the prem -
Chelsea - if they sell Hazard, but would he go back there, would they take the hit and will they be in the CL - it's doubtful.
City - Unless Aguero goes then probably not as he wouldn't be first choice - unless Pep comes in and plays 4-4-2...
Arsenal - I think he'd be perfect for them, but would Arsene pay £65mil for one player...
United - They need a forward, depends on who is their manager (Mourinho if he's there will not get take him). They obviously have the money though.

Abroad
PSG - Think he's most likely to join them. He'd waltz the French league and be able to compete on the CL front.
Real - They have a transfer ban coming up so may look to get him in this summer.
Barca - Not gonna get in ahead of any of the players they have up top.
Bayern - With PSG i'd say it's the most likely possibility.

So that's 8 sides (realistically 7 discounting Chelsea) that could make a move for him. I think a lot depends on the Euros as well.

If a number of them are involved the price goes way up - £60 million plus. That is if he wants to leave. We have adapted to accommodate his style would those other teams be so obliging? Lukaku has improved his game - controlling the ball/holding it up and it shows in his performances. Imo I think it is touch and go whether he goes at the end of the season.

Because he was rubbish @chicoazul - and he's been incredible since, which I've also said.

Why are you so horrified at people talking about what's in front of their own eyes? Do people have to have one beige opinion and never deviate from it to placate you?

Even worst is that Chico was outed as saying he preferred Jelavic recently! Glass houses, stones springs to mind!

Some ace stuff in this thread and it's only from five months ago.

Quelle surprise.

Might we have a top manager?

Wow.

Because he may attract bids worth double that sometime soon?

First of all he hasn't hit 25 league goals yet. (He probably will and I hope he does). Secondly this is not the only indicator of a top manager. I didn't imagine that in the pursuit of Rom's 25 goals we'd abandon all defensive solidity completely.

Perhaps I should rephrase. A top manager would be able to get 25 league goals out of Lukaku whilst maintaining a balanced side finishing in the top 6.

First of all he hasn't hit 25 league goals yet. (He probably will and I hope he does). Secondly this is not the only indicator of a top manager. I didn't imagine that in the pursuit of Rom's 25 goals we'd abandon all defensive solidity completely.

Perhaps I should rephrase. A top manager would be able to get 25 league goals out of Lukaku whilst maintaining a balanced side finishing in the top 6.
Moving the goalposts now because Martinez may hit your criteria of a top manager? Shameless.

if they can afford £65m on one player, you'd bloody hope they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back