Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtois is itching to get out of Chelsea and it is less than 12 months since they won the league - bloody Belgiums!

Anyhow both you and I agree several months ago that he'd look to get out this summer, the league form makes it easier I think but tbh think even if we'd been in say West Ham's position currently he'd (and most especially his agent) would still be making noises.

Well as ive said, he didnt change Agents for him to talk contracts with Bill.

Our league position makes it VERY easy for the lad, would he want to leave if we were in Spurs place? Would he want to leave if he saw progress? Probably, no matter how "rich" we think we are, there are around 40 clubs in world football that can pay the lad more money than us, theres are around another 20 clubs that can offer him more money and give him CL football.

When he leaves and I honestly think its a case of when, not if, I will wish the lad well and hope he has a very successful career.

The only thing I would add to goat's post above is that it depends who he ends up at. If he goes to Real / Munich / Juventus / Atletico Madrid etc then good luck to him; if he ends up at Spurs or City then he and his agent are mugs.

Martinez really should be sweating reading these reports.

Lukaku's goals have single-handedly saved this season from being a complete and utter disaster.
You would at least hope if not to expect so. As you rightly put it, Lukaku's goals have been one of the few shinning points to our season.

Without those goals then I think it is not too unrealistic to consider that we could be fighting in the doldrums of the league based on other factors.

Rom will score goals where ever he goes and with a team who play more to his advantages combined with a defensive core, he'll blood prosper.

Some may disagree, but the only way I can see him staying now is with extremely strong and realistic promises of a transformation in fortunes.

For those to be realised then money will have to be spent and assurances that we'll be able to defend. What the means I'll leave open...

......regardless of whether it's Lukaku, regardless of whether it's Stones, regardless of whether it's Barkley we need to create a culture where our best young talent don't want to leave.
Personally, that can only come with success or at least the realistic expectation of success being within our close grasp. Is it now?

Well as ive said, he didnt change Agents for him to talk contracts with Bill.

Our league position makes it VERY easy for the lad, would he want to leave if we were in Spurs place? Would he want to leave if he saw progress? Probably, no matter how "rich" we think we are, there are around 40 clubs in world football that can pay the lad more money than us, theres are around another 20 clubs that can offer him more money and give him CL football.

When he leaves and I honestly think its a case of when, not if, I will wish the lad well and hope he has a very successful career.
Although his agent is clearly after money, truly don't think it enters much into Rom's thinking, at least at this stage playing time and good relations with his manager would imo count for far more (he really hated playing for AVB and get the same impression with Wilmots).

But he deperately wants to improve himself and that means joining a club that has a high degree of certainty in being in the CL year after year and even if everything with Moshiri's investment and possible new manager goes superbly that isn't going to be us for a few more years yet.

If things has gone well this year (Leicester style performances, not West Ham style) we might have got another year out of him - especially if there weren't striker vacancies at the rich clubs. But his agent would have been pointing out that moving the year before major competition Is a bad idea - much better to do so after a World Cup/Euros.

Although his agent is clearly after money, truly don't think it enters much into Rom's thinking, at least at this stage playing time and good relations with his manager would imo count for far more (he really hated playing for AVB and get the smae impression with Wilmots).

But he deperately wants to improve himself and that means joining a club that has a high degree of certainty in being in the CL year after year and even if everything with Moshiri's investment and possible new manager goes superbly that isn't going to be us for a few more years yet.

If things has gone well this year (Leicester style performances, not West Ham style) we might have got another year out of him but his agent would have been pointing out that moving the year before major competition Is a bad idea - much better to do so after a World Cup/Euros.

Well I still think if he had a good World Cup he would have "left" 2 years ago.

Lets hope he stinks out the Euros or and I dont type this lightly, gets an injury that means he wont pass a medical from AFTER the Euros till September.

Sorry Rom :(.

Personally, that can only come with success or at least the realistic expectation of success being within our close grasp. Is it now?

....you're right. I really don't think it's now, it's just a matter of whether the new owner can convince them to stay. A cup win might buy a little time but there will have to be more than light at the end of the tunnel.

Well I still think if he had a good World Cup he would have "left" 2 years ago.

Lets hope he stinks out the Euros or and I dont type this lightly, gets an injury that means he wont pass a medical from AFTER the Euros till September.

Sorry Rom :(.
Aye, think Wilmots distrust, combined with Mouriho's apparent lack of faith that he could lead the line made he appreciate the opportunity to get game time and love at Everton.

Personally can't go as far as to wish him ill, even temporarily, genuinely like the lad too much.

Aye, think Wilmots distrust, combined with Mouriho's apparent lack of faith that he could lead the line made he appreciate the opportunity to get game time and love at Everton.

Personally can't go as far as to wish him ill, even temporarily, genuinely like the lad too much.

Its either that or I kidnap and keep him in my basement.

You choose.

....you're right. I really don't think it's now, it's just a matter of whether the new owner can convince them to stay. A cup win might buy a little time but there will have to be more than light at the end of the tunnel.
There has been talk of big investment from the board etc in the last few days: numbers up to £150m being spouted which I think is unrealistic.

However, we've got to factor in the fact that other clubs may potentially spend big this summer based on the new TV deal coming into effect.

Add to that the likes of West Ham gaining strength. Arguably, it will certainly not be as easy next year to compete at the top as it was this year.

So to convince Rom to stay will need some real evidence to support any claims that the manager (be that Martinez) or the board offer him .

I bloody hope we can convince him to stay for as I said earlier, he's the best striker I've seen in many a year. I just can't see it happening though.

Even Martinez being relieved of his position may not be enough to convince him to stay, although personally I certainly think it would at least help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back