Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yak before his injury was a better player imo

Matter of opinions mate but honestly he wasn't, Yakuba has been built up as something he wasn't by us lot, bit like saying Jelavic was better due to those first 6 months he looked like a world class slotter. Yakuba had some serious flaws in his game, as many as Lukaku has, but Lukaku on his day is unplayable - never got that feeling about Yakuba ever

Lineker Beardsley Gray

Never rated Beardsley really as a striker in that sense myself mate, great secondary one though, Lineker was a pure goalscorer, imagine how many Lukaku would score seriously with the service Lineker got for us in 85/86, Gray was nowhere near the level that Lukaku is mate, it's easy to look good when your playing in a absolutely top team and alongside a player like Sharp, Gray had some massive flaws in his game, what he did well he did brilliantly though.

Myself I'd take Lukaku over any forward besides Sharp that I've seen play for us in the flesh (will say it'd be a close run thing with 2 of the three you mentioned though)

he will score goals for fun all through his career, I just doubt he will ever reach the highest table in terms of footballing talent, but hes a goal scorer,
Agreed. He's undoubtedly got copious amounts of potential and will consistently score goals, but what frustrates me is he could do much more.

It's not a dig at Rom; I really rate him and his ability and as long as he continues to scores goals (his ultimate job) then I'll be more than content.

Nevertheless, he could arguably perform even better than he does currently: for both us and for himself. Will he reach the very top? I'm not sure.

Yes we don't always work to his strengths, but too often he seems to disappear from games and not utilise his strength, power and clear ability.

He's only young and will most probably continue to improve, however if he wants to be in the top-echelons he needs to improve...

...be that consistency, first touch (hopefully his clown shoes aren't on today) or improving how he uses his many obvious strengths.

Matter of opinions mate but honestly he wasn't, Yakuba has been built up as something he wasn't by us lot, bit like saying Jelavic was better due to those first 6 months he looked like a world class slotter. Yakuba had some serious flaws in his game, as many as Lukaku has, but Lukaku on his day is unplayable - never got that feeling about Yakuba ever

Did you even see Yakubu play?

Also, I agree... Yak on his day was WAY better in almost every way, and he had more days. He just suffered a terrible injury, and was unfairly recognised as being lazy because he didn't run as much as Bent or Johnson.

He was more intelligent, better touch, better hold up play, better finisher. All of Lukaku's strengths are his physical attributes which he doesn't use nearly as often as he should. If Lukaku could be more like Yak in his build up play, and his holdup play, he would be a better player overnight.

Did you even see Yakubu play?

Also, I agree... Yak on his day was WAY better in almost every way, and he had more days. He just suffered a terrible injury, and was unfairly recognised as being lazy because he didn't run as much as Bent or Johnson.

He was more intelligent, better touch, better hold up play, better finisher. All of Lukaku's strengths are his physical attributes which he doesn't use nearly as often as he should. If Lukaku could be more like Yak in his build up play, and his holdup play, he would be a better player overnight.

Seen every forward play for us since 82/83 mate, and on top form lukaku is better than all but sharp, given their ages yakuba pre injury was more consistant obviously, but very few 21/22 year olds have that coniatancy as it comes with age

Purely as a goal scorer Lineker would be ahead of most strikers for me. Lukaku for me is a completely different type of player, he spends a lot of time out the box and on the wings picking the ball up. I don't think he is a natural finisher, he scuffs quite a few in and misses a few, I think he is a natural goalscorer which is different. If a ball came into the area or a 1 on 1 my mortgage would be on Lineker every time. Lineker, Gray, Sharp and Yak's real birth cert will show they were much older and Lukaku has so much time ahead of him to improve and improve. At times Lukaku frustrates me but I don't think at times I probably appreciate how lucky we are to have him.

I mean you can make a case for both and they're defo close, so don't see how he's clueless for preferring Lukaku?
Think you should re read what he said

'No where near close' is what makes it seem clueless. Yakubu's first season for us was excellent, 2nd season he started with 3 goals in 4 then a month or so later got a massive injury, to suggest it's a myth and no where near close is something I'd find it hard to get anywhere near agreeing with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back