Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he looked knackered last night. The thing is as well if you keep making runs game after game and not getting the ball you stop making the runs as its pointless.

He's been fantastic for us. I was at the game last night and first half he was just jogging round, not chasing anything down, literally looked like he wasn't arsed, the tiredness excuse could be put out there, but it was funny that when we went down to 10 men he then put a shift in.

At one point in the second half he was over by the Everton fans and started waving his arms at us to jeer us up, there were plenty of shouts at him along the lines of "You start putting some effort in, then we will"

By the way, this isn't having a pop at him because I've always stood by him, even when he was getting loads of grief.
See i get that argument and i am not disagreeing with it whatsoever, just trying to put my opinionated reasoning on it.

He is that type of player sure but then he backs that up with goals, which is essentially what he is meant to be doing. If we want a player to run round loads then sure, we can sign one of them and they can be a hard worker up front, some great ones like tevez was in his prime. But at the same time if luakaku is a little lazy at times, then that is part of the player he must be, as long as he scores goals for you then you don't complain i guess. You have to question though despite his lack of movement, what are all the other players doing then for him to be expected to compensate more movement?

I thought he looked knackered last night. The thing is as well if you keep making runs game after game and not getting the ball you stop making the runs as its pointless.
One thing i pointed out last season which no-one wanted to believe me back when roberto was the best manager ever was the lack of chances created.

We still do it, albeit to a smaller extent this season, but he dont line the ball up for a chance for him , dont direct the ball to him when we attack in the box, don't put passes to feet etc. Last season he was running between defenders for space whilst barry and ross were told to keep possession 20 yards away.

that also comes into effect here, how many clinical chances have we truely made for him over even the last 5 games?

See i get thaqt arguement and i am not disagreeing with it whatsoever, just trying to put my opinionated reasoning on it.

He is that type of player sure but then he backs that up with goals, which is essentially what he is meant to be doing. If we want a player to run round loads then sure, we can sign one of them and they can be a hard worker up front, some great ones like tevez was in his prime. But at the same time if luakaku is a little lazy at times, then that is part of the player he must be, as long as he scores goals for you then you don't complain i guess. You have to question though despite his lack of movement, what are all the other players doing then for him to be expected to compensate more movement?

Must admit he is left isolated in a lot of games, and I know we went down to 10 men last night, but for some reason we kept hoofing the ball up to Lukaku, even though there wasn't anyone at all supporting him, so when he did win the ball there was no one in sight, you could see he was really frustrated, and he couldn't be blamed for that.

that also comes into effect here, how many clinical chances have we truely made for him over even the last 5 games?
Not many. If he has the ball played to his feet facing the goal or has chance to run at defences then he's extremely effective.

The striking problem is that it doesn't happen enough and he's becoming more and more isolated and he's not an Aguero type who'll come deep.

Obviously it isn't all about Rom and he has shown he can adapt his play to a degree, but we should have utilised him more effectively.

Must admit he is left isolated in a lot of games, and I know we went down to 10 men last night, but for some reason we kept hoofing the ball up to Lukaku, even though there wasn't anyone at all supporting him, so when he did win the ball there was no one in sight, you could see he was really frustrated, and he couldn't be blamed for that.

Not many. If he has the ball played to his feet facing the goal or has chance to run at defences then he's extremely effective.

The striking problem is that it doesn't happen enough and he's becoming more and more isolated and he's not an Aguero type who'll come deep.

Obviously it isn't all about Rom and he has shown he can adapt his play to a degree, but we should have utilised him more effectively.

Exactly, all of this isn't new, it has been there for 2 seasons now. That is why i have always said he has been fantastic in spite of martinez, not because of him. the team has no structure anyway, no clear defined roles so it is difficult for the team to play into lukaku the way they probably want to.

But then i'm personally not going to hold anything against players who have been great this season, ross included. It is just bizarre to me as i mentioned earlier that we expect 22 year olds to play 90 minutes most weeks, and then wonder why they aren't as good as they were at the start of the season. It is just logic that you rest them whenever you can to keep them fresh, especially when they are young.

Which going back to my thoughts on lukaku, these are all factors into him going in the summer, many factors that all come together into one reasonable reason why we aren't good enough for him anymore.

we wont have to worry about it next season. Also I suspect Rom will be looking forward to being in a decent squad with some rotation so he can get a breather.

He is I understand 22 now how many folk on here at that age were more than likely shagging twice a night and going out to work for 5 to 6 days and were you so knackered could not go out with your mates for a pint!

we wont have to worry about it next season. Also I suspect Rom will be looking forward to being in a decent squad with some rotation so he can get a breather.
Well according to his dad, one the caveats ahead of him gracing Bayern would be that they send Lewandowski packing.

I doubt he'd respond too to being told that Kone or Niasse is getting a run out on Saturday.

When talking about the sale of Romelu Lukaku we are probably talking about a fee in the region of 60m. I don't think it would be too much less than that. He has a high profile, a good attitude , a great physique and a great goalscoring record....he is one of the most highly sought after strikers in world football.
At least that is what we are led to believe and I think there is little doubt but that some high profile clubs will at least try to sign him in the summer.

I wonder what his real value or worth is. Yes, he scores goals when the team is built around him, but when it is not, when he is isolated and on his own up front he can be a total passenger. I would expect a true world class striker costing 60m approx. to be a thorn in the side of any defence in just about every game.

I do hope he stays. We want the best young talent to stay and he certainly is that. But, there is no doubt that we need another out and out striker at the club to relieve the burden and to offer something different.
Maybe , it is hoped that Niasse will fill that role, but it certainly is a position that needs filling as we are totally reliant just about on one player.

All along I assumed Stones was leaving and Lukaku staying , now I wonder if it will be the other way around.

The strength of character to know that if he stays put with Martinez he is wasting his talent
Agreed ,any player playing for Martinez is wasting their time, But he owes it to himself ,the fans and his team mates to fight until the end of the season, not give up like he has done for the last 5 games.

Well according to his dad, one the caveats ahead of him gracing Bayern would be that they send Lewandowski packing.

I doubt he'd respond too to being told that Kone or Niasse is getting a run out on Saturday.

His dad's in dream land if he thinks this kid is good enough for Bayern. The only champions league side coming in for him will be small time Italian sides. I have read Psg and lukaku mentioned, don't make me laugh, they will replace Ibrahimovic with a Superstar from one of the big Spanish clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back