Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blows my mind that we've had one striker for one season break 20 goals in all comps since 1992 but people are wanting rid of a lad that's done it for the last two seasons. He's not perfect and can be frustrating at times but he's goals and if Koeman can shore up the defence we're laughing.

Laughable isn't it. People would rather have someone who runs around and doesn't score goals.

I think Everton won't accept and hold out for more money, I just don't see why Chelsea want to pay that much when they can probably get better? He's scored goals last season don't get me wrong but his first touch at times is well off the mark of a world class centre forward and the big games he went missing except the quarter final at goodison ...against them ha

But if he goes, who do we go for ?

i'd say there's probably about 20 strikers (massively rough approximation) better than him in the world right now. All of those would be taking a step down to come to us and leaving a club in europe to do so. All very well saying we'd get a lot of money for him but who would we realistically be able to get which would actually see us improve? I keep reading lacazette but i couldn't see him coming here.

How many of them are proven in the English league?

Lacazette seems to be the popular name on the forums so what exactly has he done that's surpasses Lukaku? He's French yet he didn't even make the French squad for he Euros. Has a worse goal scoring percentage at club level to Lukaku, but is 2 years older and those goals have come in the French league which everyone knows is a weak league.

I'd like to hear some of the names that make up the 20, and also who you think would be able to do well in the English league because that's another thing altogether.

It's also funny how in recent years there has been a debate about Benteke, Origi, Bony all being better than Lukaku after either the odd glimpse of talent (Origi), or one good season.

Bony got 6 goals in 36 last season playing for a top 4 side.
Benteke got 10 goals in 42 playing for the 8th best side.
Origi got 10 goals in 33 playing for the 8th best side.

Lukaku got 25 in 46 playing for an Everton side that gave up with 2 months to go and finished in 11th place. That's 1 less than all those put together and yet the media and fans of other clubs (and some of our own) were jumping at the chance to proclaim that Lukaku wasn't as good as them.

He may have his weaknesses and a bad attitude over certain things, but Lukaku is one of the best proven goal scorers in the English league and we need to do all we can to keep him, or hold out for this £65m that's been put about in the media, and even then I would only allow him to go to a club with CL football who we don't deem as a future rival. So PSG, Barca etc and which of them is genuinely going to bid that amount of money for him?

as things stand we have 1 striker which is Rom so unless they offer silly money or we suddenly bring in another striker (which doesn't appear likely at the moment) he is going nowhere.

How many of them are proven in the English league?

Lacazette seems to be the popular name on the forums so what exactly has he done that's surpasses Lukaku? He's French yet he didn't even make the French squad for he Euros. Has a worse goal scoring percentage at club level to Lukaku, but is 2 years older and those goals have come in the French league which everyone knows is a weak league.

I'd like to hear some of the names that make up the 20, and also who you think would be able to do well in the English league because that's another thing altogether.

It's also funny how in recent years there has been a debate about Benteke, Origi, Bony all being better than Lukaku after either the odd glimpse of talent (Origi), or one good season.

Bony got 6 goals in 36 last season playing for a top 4 side.
Benteke got 10 goals in 42 playing for the 8th best side.
Origi got 10 goals in 33 playing for the 8th best side.

Lukaku got 25 in 46 playing for an Everton side that gave up with 2 months to go and finished in 11th place. That's 1 less than all those put together and yet the media and fans of other clubs (and some of our own) were jumping at the chance to proclaim that Lukaku wasn't as good as them.

He may have his weaknesses and a bad attitude over certain things, but Lukaku is one of the best proven goal scorers in the English league and we need to do all we can to keep him, or hold out for this £65m that's been put about in the media, and even then I would only allow him to go to a club with CL football who we don't deem as a future rival. So PSG, Barca etc and which of them is genuinely going to bid that amount of money for him?

Great post.

Lukaku as it stands is one of the best strikers in the league, no doubt about it.

as things stand we have 1 striker which is Rom so unless they offer silly money or we suddenly bring in another striker (which doesn't appear likely at the moment) he is going nowhere.

I think it's pretty clear we're going to do everything in our power to ensure he stays, and look to offload Niasse and Kone and bring in a decent back up, with Rodriguez and Tarashaj possibly vying for third choice (the Rolan links were interesting but were obviously just 'links' at this stage).

I think it's pretty clear we're going to do everything in our power to ensure he stays, and look to offload Niasse and Kone and bring in a decent back up, with Rodriguez and Tarashaj possibly vying for third choice (the Rolan links were interesting but were obviously just 'links' at this stage).
The original source of this is the same guy convinced Napoli were about to sign Witsel and that we had signed Steven Caulker. Not saying there is no truth in it but i find it unlikely Chelsea would try to sign a player from us on the cheap again after they were made to look so silly with Stones last season.

1c93abe864cba05af0e86c15d92b5b83.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back