Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he is going, though with the amount of online coverage this is getting, you can only conclude that this is another concerted attempt by people with a pro-Chelsea / anti-Everton agenda who are mightily peeved by our failure to bow to Chelsea last year with Stones.

It highlights the enormous gulf between fantasy and reality as far as some reporting is concerned.

I don't know but you have to imagine there was no way whatsoever we would have or even could have paid close to 30m up front. Spread out over 3 or 4 years is most likely. Probably owe around half still, so around 14m. If they are desperate for him, and with our repayments kept in mind, I think they'll try for a fee of around 55m and cancel the rest of our repayments, giving an overfee value of just under 70m. I'd keep him, though. Tie him to a new contract if possible with a release clause that kicks in in a year's time, see if we can snag a Champions League position this season and have him think twice about leaving this time next year.

I very much doubt he would sign a new contract particularly with him soon to be outside the protected phase of his contract. As I said earlier it is now being widely reported that there is indeed a clause in his transfer regarding transfer profit. It is most likely that the repayments were spread over the term of his initial contract so that was 5 years.

I do think that people are living in a bit of a cloud cuckoo land if they under value him as a player or indeed just how difficult it is to score 20 odd goals in a season those sort of players are rare. Additionally to expect other players from say midfield to probably double what either they or the player they have displaced have scored is quite a challenge.

The squad in the main has to be formed and settled in the next 7-10 days and sorry I struggle to see how that will be achieved when it seems to me that as things stand there isn't even a keeper who is competent enough to be first choice.
Stones and Lukaku seem to me pretty near certain to leave and no replacing just those 2 is one hellava challenge let alone improve on last season

People aren't looking at the full picture. It's not as simple as ship Rom and Stones out and spend 100m on new, better players.

Players will already be edgy about joining us, we're not a force (yet) we can't offer Europe. The last thing we want when trying to encourage good players is losing some of our stars. It doesn't send out the right message.

"Come join us, we have Kone as our only striker"

People aren't looking at the full picture. It's not as simple as ship Rom and Stones out and spend 100m on new, better players.

Players will already be edgy about joining us, we're not a force (yet) we can't offer Europe. The last thing we want when trying to encourage good players is losing some of our stars. It doesn't send out the right message.

"Come join us, we have Kone as our only striker"

Exactly. It seems the same people getting antsy about our 'lack' of business so far in terms of big names are the ones encouraging the sale of our best player and only goalscorer, completely ignoring the fact that the reason we haven't so far got big names in isn't anything to do with money, but all to do with having to sell a 'project' to CL-standard players.

I don't think he is going, though with the amount of online coverage this is getting, you can only conclude that this is another concerted attempt by people with a pro-Chelsea / anti-Everton agenda who are mightily peeved by our failure to bow to Chelsea last year with Stones.

It highlights the enormous gulf between fantasy and reality as far as some reporting is concerned.

As you said mate same as last year but look at the paper's reporting it.

The Mirror - always sell our players and once again it's the clueless Darren Lewis reporting it.

The Mail - same as above, except it's Matt Law. Now, Law isn't clueless, but the thing both he and Lewis have in common is that they are.have been on tour with Chelsea, just as they were last year. It's all CFC-fed lies, to try and pressure us into selling. The media are deluded. Chelsea have a huge rebuild on their hands and are struggling to make it happen, in all honesty, but the media can't be having that...

I think this is probably true. It feels again quite desperate from Chelsea unlike City who appear far calmer about the likelihood of bagging Stones. Chelsea fans are getting very frustrated by their lack of transfer activity and are getting a bit desperate. However as Esk said the other day there is very little from Lukaku being leaked to the press. If he really wanted out believe me he would be knocking the door down saying that 65 million (or whatever their reported offer is) is a fair price.

The real difficulty we have I suppose is I would in many ways not mind losing Lukaku at the prices quoted. We could bring in Lacazette and Bony for the same money. I am still to be convinced he will be a world beater as a striker and I worry what goes on in his head sometimes. That's another argument though.

As you said mate same as last year but look at the paper's reporting it.

The Mirror - always sell our players and once again it's the clueless Darren Lewis reporting it.

The Mail - same as above, except it's Matt Law. Now, Law isn't clueless, but the thing both he and Lewis have in common is that they are.have been on tour with Chelsea, just as they were last year. It's all CFC-fed lies, to try and pressure us into selling. The media are deluded. Chelsea have a huge rebuild on their hands and are struggling to make it happen, in all honesty, but the media can't be having that...
Lewis is a it RS too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back