Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Rom is that while he draws attention, he doesn't pull players away to create space for others. He's incredibly static, so he's man marked but to the point where the centre-half doing it is always in position to cut out anything else that develops from an oncoming attacking mid or whatever.

Rom's position in the modern game is the most important for a club. Goals are important, yes, but the truly great strikers in the game today are ones who constantly roam, take the ball and bring others into the attacking phase. Rom does none of that often enough to be relied upon. Think about how important Suarez was to Liverpool - without that focal point, they wouldn't have got near the title that season, would have struggled to make the top six. Look at how an on form Costa transforms Chelsea, or how City look a different team entirely with Aguero.

In the modern game, I class a striker who moves intelligently and brings the whole team up the field and forward as a cohesive threat as a much more valuable asset than a poacher. Lukaku needs to add more strings to his bow to be considered a truly top drawer footballer.
Has he scuttled your missus?

Goals win games.

Cottee was never loved either for similar reasons to Rom, but they are both the best scorers we've had in the last 40+ years (not counting Lineker's sole season).

Get Europe this season and we might be able to keep him.

Put the ball where rom wants it and he will score.

Been saying it for along time, don't judge him on not being able to do an all round game or score goals by himself. Judge him on the chances created and how many he misses. Last night he was clinical as soon as the ball was put in the right place for him.

The pass for his hat-trick being the exact type of ball the thrives on.

Goals win games.

Cottee was never loved either for similar reasons to Rom, but they are both the best scorers we've had in the last 40+ years (not counting Lineker's sole season).

Get Europe this season and we might be able to keep him
Think it'd take Champions League to be honest, but I guess that counts as Europe. ;)

Good thing is, we know his value at present: 60-odd million.

Get him scoring 25 goals this season, get a European finish, and his value should rocket up. So in the unfortunate scenarion that he would still want to leave, we'd at least get a massive, massive pot of cash in return.

The pass for his hat-trick being the exact type of ball the thrives on.
aye it is. lukaku is the first striker in my lifetime that i trust when running in on goal, many strikers before him had me nervous when they got through. Think it was marcus bent who used to struggle when given an almost open goal lol

I will always maintain that rom is a top striker, but last night i think he proved that he is dependable to win us games when we actually create for him as well. It was nice to see so many players being able to do that, not used Bolaisie but gueye, mirallas, del, ross can do it also. Makes it much bigger when half the team can create a chance and there is a very good chance rom will then put it away.

The problem with Rom is that while he draws attention, he doesn't pull players away to create space for others. He's incredibly static, so he's man marked but to the point where the centre-half doing it is always in position to cut out anything else that develops from an oncoming attacking mid or whatever.

Rom's position in the modern game is the most important for a club. Goals are important, yes, but the truly great strikers in the game today are ones who constantly roam, take the ball and bring others into the attacking phase. Rom does none of that often enough to be relied upon. Think about how important Suarez was to Liverpool - without that focal point, they wouldn't have got near the title that season, would have struggled to make the top six. Look at how an on form Costa transforms Chelsea, or how City look a different team entirely with Aguero.

In the modern game, I class a striker who moves intelligently and brings the whole team up the field and forward as a cohesive threat as a much more valuable asset than a poacher. Lukaku needs to add more strings to his bow to be considered a truly top drawer footballer.
Stop comparing him to other strikers. None of them have Rom's power, size and pace or frankly are as deadly and all play in teams that create far more chances.

He scores goals and gets assists. Let others do the donkey work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back