Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will obviously be a release clause and although in todays market 75 is probably a bit low we all know the player has nearly all the power.

I think Lukaku may well play for one more season to see if the club can reach the CL.
Playing at Everton has enhanced his career and is preparing him to play at the very highest levels of the game...at Everton or elsewhere.

If he leaves there is no guarantee of the same level of success as at Everton the team is built around him, but at Ream Madrid, Bayern or clubs of that stature that won't be the case and previously we have seen that when things go wrong for Lukaku he can look very ordinary.

Staying at Everton this season has helped him and one more season will further build his experience and knowledge of his game. He will have a big pay rise, an affordable buy out clause and the chance to play for a manager and club that are ambitious.

It would not surprise me if the holdup is about when the buyout clause becomes effective. I think Everton may not want it to come into effect until the summer of 2018.

Progba costed £89m. I don't think it's not fair to ask £90m plus. Lukaku will probably be the top PL scorer by May as it looks like Kane is out.
I think the fact Pogba's price tag has to this present time looked incredibly overinflated, we'll struggle to realistically expect a similar figure.

Saying that however, while I obviously would prefer if he stayed at Everton, if someone offered close to £75m then I think we'd reluctantly accept.

We're not in control though, players have the power.

If Lukaku refuses to sign a new deal we'll either have to sell this summer, prob for around £70m or next summer, after having a player on our books who's not happy and prob going to play worse for a season, for less than the release clauses we're trying to put in his contract.

It's not in our interest to play hardball too much because it may backfire and he just refuses to sign any contract. In which case we're better off negotiating a 'reasonable' release clause with him.
Unless he commits (or rather signs a new contract as they are different things these days) I think we have to sell in the summer. His value will decrease over the next 12 months if we don't plus, as you say, we will have a player who are would most probably rather be playing elsewhere. A good comparison at the moment are Ozil and Sanchez at Arse. Will be better for all concerned if we just move on.

Having said that, I'd still be absolutely gutted to see him go, even if we got £70m+ for him. Hopefully we can compromise on whatever is holding things up.

Of more concern to me at the moment is Barkley's contract which needs sorting asap.

Progba costed £89m. I don't think it's not fair to ask £90m plus. Lukaku will probably be the top PL scorer by May as it looks like Kane is out.

Having said that, I would like him to sign a new contract and make progress under Koeman.

He's not a world record transfer tho... Suarez left them lot and he didn't break the record... and he nearly won the league on his own . 75m is fair imo

You think the longer his contract runs down the higher we should try putting the release clause? The longer this goes on the lower his valuation will be and the more pressure there will be on us to negotiate a release clause before we get to the point where we have to sell.

It's pointless playing hardball when if Lukaku doens't sign a new contract, chances are we'll have to sell him, sooner rather than later and probably for less than the kind of fee him and his agent originally wanted in the contract.
No not with Lukaku, get him to sign it now with those clauses in for anyone who wants to buy him.

A bit like when Fellaini had the release clause that expired after a certain date.

I have no problem accepting Lukaku will get a release clause in his new contract. However, it should come into the effect only in summer 2018. If we get into the Champions League for the next season, then there is no release clause. If we get to Europa League, then there is £100m release clause for teams that are qualified for CL, but the clause only expires in the end of June. If we get no Europe for the season, then there is £75m release clause for all clubs that play in Europe and it expires every year in the end of July to give us time to then find a replacement. This would be good for both sides IMO. If Lukaku wants to go to play CL/Europe, he has a clear way to get out of here, but we can keep him easily if we are successful. In both cases we have motivated Romelu.

Unless he commits (or rather signs a new contract as they are different things these days) I think we have to sell in the summer. His value will decrease over the next 12 months if we don't plus, as you say, we will have a player who are would most probably rather be playing elsewhere. A good comparison at the moment are Ozil and Sanchez at Arse. Will be better for all concerned if we just move on.

Having said that, I'd still be absolutely gutted to see him go, even if we got £70m+ for him. Hopefully we can compromise on whatever is holding things up.

Of more concern to me at the moment is Barkley's contract which needs sorting asap.

I agree about Barkley too. I hope the board works fast to try and sort out the situation with both of them asap.

I don't think I can hack a summer of constant speculation over both of their futures.

Prefer he signed a new contract, saw it out and won us trophies.
So would we all mate.

You have to think though that the only reason he would stay beyond next season is that we have qualified for CL and possibly won a trophy to boot. But if that happens, you would expect the demand for him to be even higher. It's going to be hard to keep hold of him whatever happens.

I would hope that, if he fires us into champions league next season, then he gives us another year to compete with us in said competition. Similar to Vardy this season. Whether you love him or loathe him, you have to admire his loyalty to Leicester last summer when Arsenal came calling. Don't see that often in football these days.

I agree about Barkley too. I hope the board works fast to try and sort out the situation with both of them asap.

I don't think I can hack a summer of constant speculation over both of their futures.
Especially when we're trying to attract the right calibre of player at the same time. Those two staying would be a big plus in that regard.

Confirmed finally...

20170314_132504-1250x1892.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back