Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
A transfer out of the Premiership would be far more palatable for most Evertonians.
Eighty million pounds from Real Madrid would soften the blow.

However, I think RK has no intention of selling Lukaku this summer. I think he will keep him for another twelve months and if Everton qualify for the CL then it may be possible to get him to sign an extension, if not Everton will still get a very good fee in twelve months time , but less than now, and of course they will have saved wages of five or six million.
Lukaku needs to continue to perform , to score goals and to play well or the clubs that he aspires to will not be interested.

I also believe that we may be active in the transfer market early in the summer to convince players like Lukaku and maybe Barkley that the club is ambitious and is prepared to invest to challenge for CL.
I was thinking that earlier but the other side to it is do we want a player who wants out around the squad for another twelve months? His comments can be quite disruptive at times and if he doesn't get his move this summer they could be even more so next season.

To me it looks like he wants out regardless of us getting champions league. It might keep him on for a season or so extra but it doesn't sound like he sees his long term future with us.

Ifs buts and maybes I suppose but we just need to do what's right for us, it's looking increasingly more like a when he goes rather than an if. We need to get top dollar for him and bring in suitable replacements ideally before hand or we risk overpaying. You'd hope that with the length of time this has dragged on for that we would have some targets lined up and ready to go for in the summer.

Despite our increased financial muscle, I still think we're out of the ball park for the top players. Prices have risen exponentially.

If Rom goes, I think our best option is to develop a player into a top class striker. I can't see us funneling the money that we get for Rom onto one player...if one exists of similar quality. VVD's asking price is a prime example. I don't blame his club asking the 'going rate' but, we can't blow that on one player, IMHO. If we do, it can't be a gamble, has to be a proven scorer that hits the ground running.

It'll always be this way until we break into the top 4.

We will have a job on our hands replacing him but I hope we will have an epic summer. Epic is an overused word but it's what we need.

I will be inconsolable when/if he goes for a day.

We'll be here for you that fateful day Groucho mate;)lol

There's no way Lukaku is staying at Everton for another season. Koeman already has licked his fat bumhole with some of his comments (don't blame Koeman but he did) and Lukaku is too greedy (as if he has the talent of a Maradona or any great footballer) despite us already spending £28m on him (when nobody else would have spent that money on him!) to stay another season and actually play well, improve and score goals. I understand some of the anger towards Lukaku from those that say don't play him for the rest of the season cos they're proud and loyal Evertonians. Bye Lukaku, enjoy being a £70m+ flop at your next club and thanks for the profit for my club. Thanks to your agent too for telling everyone you would sign and now his deafening silence. Great performance in the FA Cup semi vs Man Utd btw too Lukaku, very good performance mate.

As Neville Southall said, if you don't want to be here, get your coat.

Sounds like you have had a break up in the past and are still bitter about it.

Rom wants to win trophies and play champions league, thats what i want from our players. I think he will sign a new deal with a gentlemans agreement he can go next summer if we dont get champions league.

I was thinking that earlier but the other side to it is do we want a player who wants out around the squad for another twelve months? His comments can be quite disruptive at times and if he doesn't get his move this summer they could be even more so next season.

To me it looks like he wants out regardless of us getting champions league. It might keep him on for a season or so extra but it doesn't sound like he sees his long term future with us.

Ifs buts and maybes I suppose but we just need to do what's right for us, it's looking increasingly more like a when he goes rather than an if. We need to get top dollar for him and bring in suitable replacements ideally before hand or we risk overpaying. You'd hope that with the length of time this has dragged on for that we would have some targets lined up and ready to go for in the summer.

With it been a World Cup year next summer, I'm sure he would want to put his head down and keep banging them in. If he still doesn't want to sign an extension, following that tournament, then we could have more suitors in for him.

I think what the OP was referring to was the fact that ever since lukaku signed his 5 year contract, he's talked up wanting to play champions league football and joining a big club. Some may have seen that as ambitious, others would suggest he's being disrespectful to Everton football club and its supporters.
Erm....he's at a Big Cliub mate.

If he's going to go it needs to be this summer. We will get consideably more for him with 2 years left on contract than one. Will be a massive loss as there isnt a better finisher around but if a player wants to leave its better for the squad and team must come 1st. Theres no doubting his ability though and is almost irreplaceable

Last edited by a moderator:
"His comments can be quite disruptive at times and if he doesn't get his move this summer they could be even more so next season."
Not really. The team seem to love him and most of the fans still love him. That's because they know he's genuine top notch quality, the likes of whom doesn't come around too often.

It's been clear for a couple of years now that if he continued at his rate of improvement and we didn't make the top 4 he'd be ready to lead the line for a top 4 club and would want to leave. It'd be really weird if he didn't want to.

He's been a model pro throughout his time here, has never looked to force a move, has been humble enough to admit when he wasn't ready to move up and on (unlike, for example, John Stones), he's been honest with everyone about his ambitions and I fully believe all we needed was CL football to keep him.

With EL football next year a near certainty for us, he knows as well as anyone that that makes big achievement in the league more difficult, so our chances of getting CL qualification next year are arguably even more remote than this year. As an ambitious, non-evertonian footballer, about to turn 24, now having fully proven his ability, I'd say he'd be crazy to sign a contract here and possibly lock himself into a long-term (albeit exciting) project which might not yield CL football for years yet.

Keep him for a year, don't care about the money we'll make from sale, his goals will be worth more to us.

Remember what happened when Suarez piped up in 2013 and the RS kept him against his wishes?

Footballers as a whole, with no particular loyalties to a club have to maximise opportunities in their career. After the shambles of the last two seasons, we were lucky he gave us this season tbh. Now a shoe in to be top scorer in the league, nearly 24, proven over 5 years as a top goal scorer he is going to be in huge demand. This summer he will get offers galore and his agent will make Rom top priority this summer, he made his money last year on Pogba and Ibrahimovic and now it will be Rom. He has contacts everywhere, he must be making phone calls on a daily basis, driving up interest ( and consequently wages and his own % ) he will be gone. Has been since the he is 99.9999999% certain to sign statement. That was a come and get him quick statement to other clubs if ever there was one. Would love him to stay but it's not happening. Hope he goes to Real Madrid personally, would hit 50 goals a year there, would hate to see him banging in goals in the prem for someone else.

You cant blame him for leaving. Champions League football for sure now or the continued promise of it he's been given for the past four seasons?

There isn't a decision to make really.

Yep, we've clinged onto him a year longer than expected probably given his development. The 'possibility' of making champions league needs to be a reality for him now. Can't blame him for that, just wish there wasn't a pantomime round the whole thing.

Nobody should lose sight of the fact he's on, what in relative terms, is a really low wage compared to the calibre of player he is. That put Everton in a really really strong position, as it is an indisputable fact that Everton get good money for their players, so will not sell cheaply. Therefore, if we don't get what we want he's going to be one stubborn bugger to go another 52 pay packets on exactly half what we are offering, meaning he'd be giving up £3.5m.

I'd be astonished if he did that. So we are getting big money or he is signing a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back