Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well obviously yes perhaps a few more quality players would help, but I think people are abit blind to how everything is revolved around Lukaku and though his scoring record this season is excellent, many were scored against lower sides and they were the 3rd or 4th goal when the game was already won. Put it this way if Lukaku stays we won't be getting another high quality striker and we won't improve much on where we are now, the goals need to be shared around the team for us to improve for us to get to the next level, or Lukaku needs to be scoring 35 per season and a fair few of them need to be against the top side (he's yet to prove he can score regularly against the top 6 sides).

Well i enjoy Rom scoring against lesser sides. Better than our old strikers who'd get 10 in a season

Better players around Rom and Rom gets better. Yes he needs to improve but hes 23 and is improving as it is..

You mention his record vs top 6 but its not just Rom who hasn't turned up against then its basically the whole team

It's possible for WBA and Southampton to overhaul us.
Having said that, I consider it beyond even the most egregious 'Everton that' for such to transpire.

It is a good job we are so far in front that we could draw or lose our four remaining games and still finish comfortably in seventh because I have an awful feeling our guys are already on the beach, based on Saturday's yawnfest :mad:

Well i enjoy Rom scoring against lesser sides. Better than our old strikers who'd get 10 in a season

Better players around Rom and Rom gets better. Yes he needs to improve but hes 23 and is improving as it is..

You mention his record vs top 6 but its not just Rom who hasn't turned up against then its basically the whole team
In an ideal world I'd like us to add 3/4 quality additions and Rom stays for another season, then our questions could be answered. But I fear we may have to get use to the fact that he's not going to be here, so it's no use really harping on about losing our 25 goal a season striker, I want to look to the future people seem to think it's impossible for another striker to come here and bag a decent amount of goals per season, yakubu didn't do bad here did he and Cahill from midfield use to get a good few. I just think Lukaku isn't as irreplaceable as people think, yes we won't get like for like but players are bought and sold and the most unlikely player can turn out to be a star in one season, who would have thought Davies would have been a regular starter last year, I'd hardly heard of him.

Sad that I am I have read back again most of the comments posted over the last 3 or 4 weeks and what strikes me is just how easy some seem to think player recruitment is.One of the most challenging things is to anticipate how a player will adapt changing leagues to the PL.Another is trying to guess if a players performance in one season isn't a one off.

The true worry for me is when people talk about sharing RLs goals around. There is nothing to suggest to me that other than maybe the odd goal or two any of the current squad are really liable to get regularly into double figures. To make the step up to truly challenge top four it's not just a question of sharing his 20 odd goals around it's about his goals plus and to get players in who will score into double figures is far from easy.

There are just 19 players in this years PL at this point in time who have scored more than 10 league goals. Only two clubs have 3 players on that list. Them across the park and despite all the early season rumblings it's quite possible they will end the season out of the top four. The other club is Spurs but the great difference is they have a player in Kane that's scored 20 already.

Losing RL will be a massive setback to try and dimish his impact is bordering on insanity. There are probably 4 maybe 5 players in that list of players that have scored over 10 that are realistic targets. Deeney , Llorente,Defoe, King and possibly Vardy. Once you go higher up the scoring charts the truth is none are realistic targets.
All would , with the exception of Defoe would cost and as many have pointed out the transfer market is inflated the cost to Everton of those players with the exception of Llorente would probably cost around £20 to £30 million.

So you are then looking outside the PL and yes there are some interesting targets but once you get into the high end performers the risk of failure becomes greater. Look at Di Maria,Soladro, Batsuyi,Ozil all players with great pedigree in other leagues but in goal scoring terms even Ozil who is averaging 5PL goals a season none have really set the world on fire in England.

This post isn't meant to be doom and gloom although I guess it comes over that way all I am trying to do is warn caution and add a touch of reality .

Sad that I am I have read back again most of the comments posted over the last 3 or 4 weeks and what strikes me is just how easy some seem to think player recruitment is.One of the most challenging things is to anticipate how a player will adapt changing leagues to the PL.Another is trying to guess if a players performance in one season isn't a one off.

The true worry for me is when people talk about sharing RLs goals around. There is nothing to suggest to me that other than maybe the odd goal or two any of the current squad are really liable to get regularly into double figures. To make the step up to truly challenge top four it's not just a question of sharing his 20 odd goals around it's about his goals plus and to get players in who will score into double figures is far from easy.

There are just 19 players in this years PL at this point in time who have scored more than 10 league goals. Only two clubs have 3 players on that list. Them across the park and despite all the early season rumblings it's quite possible they will end the season out of the top four. The other club is Spurs but the great difference is they have a player in Kane that's scored 20 already.

Losing RL will be a massive setback to try and dimish his impact is bordering on insanity. There are probably 4 maybe 5 players in that list of players that have scored over 10 that are realistic targets. Deeney , Llorente,Defoe, King and possibly Vardy. Once you go higher up the scoring charts the truth is none are realistic targets.
All would , with the exception of Defoe would cost and as many have pointed out the transfer market is inflated the cost to Everton of those players with the exception of Llorente would probably cost around £20 to £30 million.

So you are then looking outside the PL and yes there are some interesting targets but once you get into the high end performers the risk of failure becomes greater. Look at Di Maria,Soladro, Batsuyi,Ozil all players with great pedigree in other leagues but in goal scoring terms even Ozil who is averaging 5PL goals a season none have really set the world on fire in England.

This post isn't meant to be doom and gloom although I guess it comes over that way all I am trying to do is warn caution and add a touch of reality .
Ozil wasn't bought as a goalscorer mate, and he's a brilliant player.

"Goes missing in the big games"

"Doesn't score against the top teams blah blah"

"Never turns up against the big boys yada yada yada".

:coffee:

Download-File

"Goes missing in the big games"

"Doesn't score against the top teams blah blah"

"Never turns up against the big boys yada yada yada".

:coffee:

Download-File
It's a little bit skewed, seeing as though his goals against their teams count, but not theirs against his.

Saying that, I thought Mané had the most, so I obviously don't have a clue.

It's a little bit skewed, seeing as though his goals against their teams count, but not theirs against his.

I was about to say the same thing, Lukaku has an advantage of playing 2 more games then anyone else.

Turn it into top 7 and Kane has 3, Zlatan has 4, Costa has 3 (still to play us), Sanchez has 2 (still to play more teams in the top 7

upload_2017-4-25_10-35-22.webp

This graph illustrates some of what you say. We do not have the 3 or 4 players who will hit double figures. Man Utd have had similar issues this season hence why they are placed next to us in the league.

But when you look at Chelsea, Lpool and Spurs in particular you can see why the are the top 3 currently because of their spread of goals.

When we won the league in 87/88, Sharp only scored 5 league goals. Our top 2 scorers where left and right wing (sheedy and steven).

Lineker scored 30 and we won nothing.

Lineker like Rom was a goal scorer first and foremost. But he only won a Spanish cup and cup winners cup in his career.

So while i think replacing his goals will not be easy, we should not be relying on one player to move us forward.

I was about to say the same thing, Lukaku has an advantage of playing 2 more games then anyone else.

Turn it into top 7 and Kane has 3, Zlatan has 4, Costa has 3 (still to play us), Sanchez has 2 (still to play more teams in the top 7
Fair points. However, at the very least it shows Lukaku is on par with other top strikers in the league.

Ozil wasn't bought as a goalscorer mate, and he's a brilliant player.

Any player that plays in the advanced positions that Ozil occupies would be expected to score more goals than he does and in a way that just reinforces my point
YesOzil is a technically gifted player but as for being a brilliant footballer I think we will have to differ on that. His wider contribution to a game is sadly lacking in PL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back