Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember he lost the ball near the corner flag and actually ran back to win it and when he got close and I though he would nudge him off, he stopped.

Telling signs yesterday that he has given up.

If anyone should be benched, it should be rom and try dcl there with lookman ross and dowell behind.

I don't think rom will get the big money move he craves. Yes the service can be poor but he was so lazy again and it can't be on a plate for him every time. Costa, aguero, Kane, Sanchez all do a defensive job when needed and want the ball back to try and win the game for their team. Rom very rarely does this.

It's really sad because he is boss but he can restrict the way we play and if he moves on and we strengthen with a consistent attacking/creating and most importantly scoring midfield/attack then we will be fine.

If he stays, he needs to fully commit to the club and play every game like he did against Bournemouth at home. Bully the defence, play for the team and be selfish and go alone.

He needs to make his mind up fast but I fear it has been made. The golden boot should be his incentive but even that seems to have lost significance for him.

Just doing a bit of digging on the difference that Lukaku's goals have made this season.

His goals have only altered the result in five games:-

Sunderland v Everton 0-3 becomes 0-0
Everton v Crystal Palace 1-1 becomes 1-0
Man City v Everton 1-1 becomes 1-0
Everton v Bournemouth 6-3 becomes 2-3
Everton v Leicester 4-2 becomes 2-2

His goals have brought in 9 points. We would still be 7th anyway - by 4 points, with 2 games left. This is not factoring in that someone else would be playing up front in his place.

We can't say for definite, but I reckon it would be fair to say that we would have beaten Bournemouth and Sunderland anyway. This gives us back 5 points. Making his contribution 4 points to our season.

It's not that he doesn't turn up in the big matches. He just doesn't up in the tough ones.

No critisism of lukaku allowed please... especially not fact based

No critisism of lukaku allowed please... especially not fact based

But they aren't fact they are an opinion. For instance who is to say that in the Sunderland game had it remained 0-0 Sunderland wouldn't grow in confidence and score?

Quite simply you can't dismiss one part of a game and say from that point on things would have followed the same course.

We know he scored 24 goals let's just say you wipe those 24 goals from the record and forget RL played at all and Kone in the replacement but he doesnt score any goals at all other than the games quoted earlier. Would Everton be in the same league position because that's what in effect is being said.

Definitely want to keep him, and on his day he is a very good striker. He's not a great striker yet. Can he become one? I would say yes but his attitude and his all-round general performance would need to see significant improvement. He needs to be consistent and he needs to realise his strengths. Other than Mings of Bournemouth I can't recall a single centre half he's bullied to a point where they will have come off the pitch battered, bruised and disorientated.
My own view is he really does have his mind elsewhere already. If he didn't then there would have been no need whatsoever to say I'm not signing a new contract when he did....he could simply have played until the end of the season and then piped up.
He'll be a loss, but we'll replace him.

Just doing a bit of digging on the difference that Lukaku's goals have made this season.

His goals have brought in 9 points. We would still be 7th anyway - by 4 points, with 2 games left. This is not factoring in that someone else would be playing up front in his place.

We can't say for definite, but I reckon it would be fair to say that we would have beaten Bournemouth and Sunderland anyway. This gives us back 5 points. Making his contribution 4 points to our season.

It's not that he doesn't turn up in the big matches. He just doesn't up in the tough ones.

This is interesting but I'm not a fan of statistics that say "take out ____ and here's what it looks like". Because you can't predict what would have happened without those players. Scoring the 2nd in a 2-0 win is still hugely important for example. Not to mention the assists Rom has, or goals which may have come about because of the attention centre backs have to give Rom.

Unless he'd scored 20 of his goals in 1 game or something, I just don't buy this reasoning. If we create a chance then he invariably slots. That's all there is to it. The real issue is that we don't create enough chances. He's not a goal hog, he often drifts out wide, he doesn't shoot from distance that often and he doesn't even take penalties; he's scored most of our goals because he's the only one who can actually finish well. Any striker with iffy finishing would get 8-10 goals max in this team, as we just lack spark. Something our away performances have highlighted.

But they aren't fact they are an opinion. For instance who is to say that in the Sunderland game had it remained 0-0 Sunderland wouldn't grow in confidence and score?

Quite simply you can't dismiss one part of a game and say from that point on things would have followed the same course.

We know he scored 24 goals let's just say you wipe those 24 goals from the record and forget RL played at all and Kone in the replacement but he doesnt score any goals at all other than the games quoted earlier. Would Everton be in the same league position because that's what in effect is being said.
Yes. We would be nine point worse off, but still in 7th place. Even if his replacement didn't score any goals.

watching the match yesterday it said a fan ran on the pitch and spoke to lukaku and come from the everton end, anyone went confirm this? was it an angry fan or a fan just asking to stay ya reckon

watching the match yesterday it said a fan ran on the pitch and spoke to lukaku and come from the everton end, anyone went confirm this? was it an angry fan or a fan just asking to stay ya reckon

The fan ran on with a pen and what looked like a contract. Rom sheepishly refused and could be seen audibly saying "Sorry lad but I'm off to China".

All fairly amicable stuff though mate.

Yes. We would be nine point worse off, but still in 7th place. Even if his replacement didn't score any goals.

I am not sure if you really believe that or are just on a wind up

You clearly don't want to or perhaps able to see any wider picture. You aren't making any allowance or perhaps can't see how he has impact into a game even if he doesn't score. For instance he may not win the first ball but what happens with the second ball? Did his run draw out the CD creating space behind or in a channel?

For me what you are saying is a bit like saying that as only 25% of all road traffic accidents involve someone who is over the alcohol limit meaning 75% weren't so on that basis get drunk and you stand less chance of having a RTA

This is really interesting, can also add it's one point against a top 7 side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back