Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my point about him though. If he doesn't have the players that he wants, to play the way he wants, just defend better! Don't go all out attack but, keep the ball on the deck and attack as a team (rather than 'Geronimo' as it was), as it suits the players he currently has?
First half tonight we did that imo. Really restricted them to scraps. If Jimmy never went off who knows.... Barry just doesn't have the same intensity to sustain what Jimmy gave us first half.

It's been the same football all season bar arsenal. Lacklustre attack and a poor turnover from front to back.

With bolasie in the team the entire game plan was to get it to him as soon as possible. Koeman needs to take some responsibility for how we are playing.

January is huge

Of course he does. The man himself has come out and said responsibility falls on everybody, including himself.

What more do you want him to say?

First half today, we had everything except the bit that counts.

But one bad bit of luck goes against us and this bunch of cowards crumbled again.

Didnt he?

He should hand his resignation on tomorrow then, hes the bloody manager!

I shudder to ask here but...what exactly did Robles do wrong? The goal wasnt remotely his fault.

Agreed on the other points.

I haven't watched it back loads, but IMO his positioning was all wrong. He was miles out but no where close to the shot. It was unfortunate with the bounce.

Not saying Stek would have definitely saved it like, and Robles made a great save from Firmino's shot.

And he was visibly urging the side to press up all the second half.

But with Barry in there, it just couldn't be done. And for all their possession, the RS still relied on a jammy deflection to get the win. It sums it up.

We don't have the same players though.
Gueye has been immense in midfield which should help but, we just don't seem to defend.
If you invite pressure, eventually you'll get it.
true but it's the same back line as when Martinez was here (except for williams )and GOT said the only problem then was Martinez and his insistence using Howard...they're both gone and we still ship easy goals.

First half tonight we did that imo. Really restricted them to scraps. If Jimmy never went off who knows.... Barry just doesn't have the same intensity to sustain what Jimmy gave us first half.

And therein lies the issue.

Koeman's system works - the 1st half tonight and Arsenal showed that.

The issue has been we're so lacking in terms of quality in the forward areas that we couldn't take advantage and then, due to the fact that we have zero depth, one injury cripples us and the rest of them just bottle it.

We did invite pressure, but for all their possession, they had one clear-cut chance - and they took it - and that was down to the sheer luck of the bounce off the post.

We had our clear chance in the first half and Funes missed it.

Or, the bad goalkeeping or, the player being allowed to run across the box?
Simple question, did you think we were going to score?

Yep, doesn't make sense, you have a natural winger on the bench in Mirallas, but you bring a young forward on to play out wide who's game time in the first team is next to nothing.

As I said mate, I think the plan was to - like vs Arsenal last week - have CL play a role just off Rom.

The thing is is that vs Arsenal we were on the front foot. We weren't at all in the 2nd half tonight and Ron should have recognised that. A poor sub.

First time posting. Felt compelled after watching that garbage.

I'm sick of it. The football is horrendous week after week. Every game is the same. The defenders are clearly told to lump it aimlessly forwards, despite the fact our forward can't control a ten yard pass let alone a 50 yard hoick. He doesn't seem to have any passion for the club or any desire to play progressive football. We can play better than this. These players can do better than this. It's not good enough.

It's nearly Christmas and it gets worse by the week. I know we need to give him at least a couple more transfer windows, but I just can't see him being upto the job. Absolutely gutted about that performance. I know it's Everton. I know we're spineless. I know it's ingrained in us. But to play like the away team at Goodison on a night game. Not for me that.

You clearly watched very little of Saints then mate - not that I blame you, you're an Everton fan.

Long, Mane, Pelle, Austin, Rodriguez.

His five forwards last year. All versatile, all with different strengths. All hard workers.

His midfield followed that up by pressing as a unit - not one at a time crabbing like Barkley does.

They played some great stuff. Counter-attacking yes, but not hoofball. No where near it.

The difference is, they could mix it up when they needed to.

Before Xmas last year they were stagnant, lack of ideas and playing long to pelle with people supporting him. It wasn't working, he reverted to a 3-5-2 and had long doing all the leg work

As I said, it needs fixing. That's down to the players.

The manager sets the team up and in the last few games has got it right (bar Watford).

The fact is that this side is bogged down with so many players (Ross, Barry, even Rom, Kev, Del) who just don't shoot. They get forward and then always over do it. It's dreadful.

We're 9th, not 19th, and even though it's horrid tonight's result changes little in the grand scheme of things for us.
How can you say the team set up was right tonight?

We never, ever, looked like winning the game. Seriously. We never had a proper chance in the whole game. At home. Against our biggest rivals.

If we'd drawn I'd have grudgingly accepted that we had played like a non league team in the 3rd round of the cup in order to keep our unbeaten home record, but it was no surprise we couldn't hold out for 90 minutes.

Hard work and pressing is great, but it's supposed to be a supplement to the gameplan, not the gameplan itself.

Why do people think this guy is a good manager! He has done nothing as a manager..now hes doing the same here. We have a good (not brilliant) squad...moyes over achieved...this guy is under achieving big time with zero potential being shown.
I wasn't over enthused with Koeman when we got him, but it's foolish to write him off after 1 transfer window where we missed on alot of our targets. Should at least get time to bring players in, not be replaced by a manager who did well by solidifying us in 7th-8th and getting no where. Moyes did a good job for many years but his time at Everton is over and he doesn't have the ability to win anything

Or, the bad goalkeeping or, the player being allowed to run across the box?
Simple question, did you think we were going to score?

I don't no, and that's due to a dreadful second half performance - and I hate to say it but that lies with the Barry change. Not his fault, but he can't do it anymore against teams with so much pace down the middle.

But despite the fact I'd resigned myself to that, for all Liverpool's possession, they created zero clear-cut chances until that final one - and they scored it, and that was down to luck.

It happens. We were crap in the second half and need signings desperately. Nothing we didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back