Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said on numerous occasions bar one and half games we've played hoofball. The introduction of a player who koeman didn't want has madev us press a bit.

We lacked the cutting edge because the majority of the season we have been toothless going forward, it's been pretty abysmal actually because of how we are approaching games. It's right there in black and white. Opposition goalkeeper's are rarely tested against us

Spot on.

You said he was crab like?
Anyway, you literally can't make every negative into a positive, although I admire you for trying!
Sometimes, you just have to say %Y)((*^$£^&*(

If you look back, I was talking about his pressing.

Tonight he actually did look to run with the ball a few times, his touch was just awful.

And yes, I'll call a spade a spade.

I have, several times, called the second-half atrocious.

Equally so we showed what we can do in the first half, but we didn't have the guile or gumption or, perhaps bottle, to finish it off.

Like I said on numerous occasions bar one and half games we've played hoofball. The introduction of a player who koeman didn't want has madev us press a bit.

We lacked the cutting edge because the majority of the season we have been toothless going forward, it's been pretty abysmal actually because of how we are approaching games. It's right there in black and white. Opposition goalkeeper's are rarely tested against us

And that needs to improve.

As you said, January is massive, because these players haven't been scoring enough goals since the start of 2016, really.

They were so effected by the bad defending, that they lost the thing they were so good at in the first place under RM. And nothing I have seen suggests that any of them will get it back.

true but it's the same back line as when Martinez was here (except for williams )and GOT said the only problem then was Martinez and his insistence using Howard...they're both gone and we still ship easy goals.

Thought you said GOD there for a min and was thinking "oh god, hope I haven't done anything wrong".
As you said GOT....it just a load of people with different opinions, mine is that we should play the ball on the ground and attack, as much as we can without neglecting our defensive duties.
We're not doing that.

We didn't try to win that game tonight.
That is down to one man.

Gareth Barry?

I love you Gaz, but fgs you were awful.

But mate, genuinely, how can you look at that first half and say we didn't try to win?

We got out, went on the front foot, actually did what we should be doing - but as I've said, the players are just frightened to do anything in front of goal or try to much and end up overdoing it.

One injury and our entire gameplan went out of the window. Poor from the manager's perspective, yes, and he needs to improve, but even more so from the players, who once more showed how bottleless they are.

First half ran ourselves into the ground and spoiled the game which made it a scrappy contest. Was obvious as soon as the players tired the better quality would then take over. They had 68% possession...when is the last time we had just over 30% possession at home?

If you look back, I was talking about his pressing.

Tonight he actually did look to run with the ball a few times, his touch was just awful.

And yes, I'll call a spade a spade.

I have, several times, called the second-half atrocious.

Equally so we showed what we can do in the first half, but we didn't have the guile or gumption or, perhaps bottle, to finish it off.

Probably, because he was so tired after doing Roms pressing AND then fulfilling the role of 'playmaker' to the 'worlds next best thing'.
Or, maybe we did just lump it (apart from Seamus' lungbusting runs in the 1st half)?

I just don't get what is going on with this team.

Lack of quality mate. The effort was there, they worked their backsides off tonight and spoiled the game for the most part. We defended in numbers, closed the spaces, kept it tight and stopped them from cutting through us at will. I don't see how we could have done anymore tonight. Barkley is our only creative midfielder but he lacks a football brain. We rely on being direct with crosses from out wide which was successful against Arsenal, but that won't work every week.

The second-half, the injury to Jamo rocked us. I find that the most worrying. I find it worrying that the only option was Barry, who can't run, and I find it worrying that the rest of the players crumbled and resorted to sitting deep.
It's been obvious to a blind man all season that you can't play a high pressing game with Barry in the team, obvious to everyone but the manager! The rest of the team didn't crumble, you can't compensate for Barry's lack of pace and mobility in the middle and carry on playing the way we did in the first half. Davies and Walsh should have been given some proper game time this season, both of them would be better options if we are going to play a high tempo game (or attempt to).

Koeman isn't the problem. He had the players running their socks off tonight, which is a massive positive given the current form, the players are the problem. They're nowhere near good enough.

Gareth Barry?

I love you Gaz, but fgs you were awful.

But mate, genuinely, how can you look at that first half and say we didn't try to win?

We got out, went on the front foot, actually did what we should be doing - but as I've said, the players are just frightened to do anything in front of goal or try to much and end up overdoing it.

One injury and our entire gameplan went out of the window. Poor from the manager's perspective, yes, and he needs to improve, but even more so from the players, who once more showed how bottleless they are.
Did we have one meaningful shot in he first half?

We contained them, that is about it.

i'm not a massive fan so far, but i can't blame him too much for tonight, nothing really went our way, we were on top playing the team he picked and then had to make two subs through injury, to add to the fact that we recently lost our only attacking player who creates chances and our captain was also suspended. We did actually showed we cared and were willing to fight today, which was different to what i've seen last few months and just got unlucky as we do so often against them

There's no doubt he should be doing better with this squad though, they're massively under-performing, but i think he can turn it around when we start buying good players in jan, rather than that measly half-arsed showing from the club in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back