Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
His big blind spot is Davies

There is no way he'd be a worse option in the middle than Barry or Cleverley at this point

I give him credit for rolling the dice on Calvert-Lewin

Some stuff was out of his hands last night, like the injuries

This is less his fault and more the fault of the clubs continued inability to win a Derby. Psychologically, Liverpool are just superiour to us and we can't get over that hump. The club, the players, the fans, all of us, we cannot get past the mental hold they have on us

I honestly don't know how we get over that. In the second half you could feel Goodison deflating as the players entered that performance. You just knew it was coming, you just knew they'd win the battle of wills, because in this fixture they always do

I don't know the answer, I don't know how we overcome it, and I'm not sure anyone from top to bottom at the club knows how either

We're in for some more depressing years in regards to this fixture I fear

Like all those over times he has shown up in a derby?

The Suarez one was not him showing up by the way.

I agree he would be a better option than Calvert Lewin though solely due to the fact that he put him into midfield.

I really don't think that was the idea mate.

I think he wanted to get a CF on the pitch to help support Rom and hopefully push us up the pitch - like against Arsenal.

However, it was poor management as the situation of the game was entirely different. Against Arsenal we starting to build up a head of steam, but last night we were hanging on for our lives, which meant Calvert-Lewin had to drop wide to help cover, whereas the week before he only had to do that in the last 5 minutes.

A poor sub, but I don't think it's what lost us the game.

A lack of options (and whether that's down to the manager not using players like Davies - who we still haven't seen enough of to judge fully imo - or simply a threadbare squad) and lack of cutting edge when we were playing well is what cost us.

Manager and players, both to blame. But it happens. I've seen far worse.

The hyperbole in this forum - not from yourself, btw - is ridiculous.

However, I will also acknowledge that Martinez got sacked without as poor a run. It's an awful run - but don't get fooled into thinking Koeman is blaming the squad. He seems to be the only one saying it isn't down to the squad. It's mostly fans and pundits who are saying Jan is make or break (which it is, and that's a sad, sad inditement of not backing our manager last summer with any sense in the market).

His big blind spot is Davies

There is no way he'd be a worse option in the middle than Barry or Cleverley at this point

I give him credit for rolling the dice on Calvert-Lewin

Some stuff was out of his hands last night, like the injuries

This is less his fault and more the fault of the clubs continued inability to win a Derby. Psychologically, Liverpool are just superiour to us and we can't get over that hump. The club, the players, the fans, all of us, we cannot get past the mental hold they have on us

I honestly don't know how we get over that. In the second half you could feel Goodison deflating as the players entered that performance. You just knew it was coming, you just knew they'd win the battle of wills, because in this fixture they always do

I don't know the answer, I don't know how we overcome it, and I'm not anyone from top to bottom at the club knows how either

We're in for some more depressing years in regards to this fixture I fear

I tend to agree on Davies Mikey but, let's be honest, neither of us have seen enough of him.

Oumar Niasse has bagged 10 in the U23s, yet I honestly have never seen a worse player play for Everton, and we all watched Dennis try to head a ball off the ground towards goal from 30 yards out once.

So it's fine saying Davies is ready, and I don't see why he couldn't be given a chance instead of Cleverley, but I'm not sure he'd have won us a point (or three) yesterday, just like how Calvert-Lewin didn't lose us the game.

He's not going anywhere this year even if we finish lower than we did last year, I think the problem is he doesn't trust most of this lot as far as he can throw them hence and the dour footy is reflected in that. If we're still playing this way after 2 more transfer windows then he's clearly got to go, but he has plenty of time to rectify it yet.

He needs to buy 2/3 creative players and quickly, because at the moment we're painfully lacking in quality in that final third. Lennon and Valencia were chosen last night due to their work rate, I think Ronald is well aware they aren't the standard of attacker we need going forward.

I got in the ground at 7.30 last night, ive honestly never been that early to a ground in my entire life, anyway, what I observed was the players doing the most intensive warm up ive seen, not sure if they do that every game, but they warmed up at full speed for a good 20minutes, all this time Klopp stood on the halfway line only watching us, it was very strange.

Some of the players looked done at the end of it.
He does that. The weirdo.

But yeh, our warm-ups are intense. But it's nothing S'ton didn't do last year.

But as I said to the RS I was watching the game with last night, I knew we'd run out of steam eventually - the problem was that due to McCarthy's injury, we ran out of steam even quicker than we normally do, and this bunch of bottlers just regressed to camping on the edge of the box, despite the fact that all I saw Koeman do in the second half was scream to 'push out'.

He's not going anywhere this year even if we finish lower than we did last year, I think the problem is he doesn't trust most of this lot as far as he can throw them hence and the dour footy is reflected in that. If we're still playing this way after 2 more transfer windows then he's clearly got to go, but he has plenty of time to rectify it yet.

He needs to buy 2/3 creative players and quickly, because at the moment we're painfully lacking in quality in that final third. Lennon and Valencia were chosen last night due to their work rate, I think Ronald is well aware they aren't the standard of attacker we need going forward.

If we finish lower than we did last year mate, and we've had significant funds spent in January, I think he would struggle.

We needed improvement, and we are still on course for this.

Our form has been awful for three months though, two wins in 12 is dire. Really, really bad.

Massive three games coming up now before the start of the window, and we need to have 2 players in by the FA Cup game IMO.

The DCL sub didnt make any sense at all for me, baffling doesnt even begin to describe it.

Valencia still had something left in the tank, Lukaku was beyond done, personally I would have taken Lukaku off, but hey ho, not quite sure anything could have helped, we lost the game in the first 2minutes of the 2nd half and at no point did we have any chance of getting it back.

Think he was just hoping to get another body up alongside Rom but yeh, at the time I was baffled. Crazy sub.

Kev's is a wet wipe, but he always turns up in the derby.

The DCL sub didnt make any sense at all for me, baffling doesnt even begin to describe it.

Valencia still had something left in the tank, Lukaku was beyond done, personally I would have taken Lukaku off, but hey ho, not quite sure anything could have helped, we lost the game in the first 2minutes of the 2nd half and at no point did we have any chance of getting it back.

Lost the game as a combination of McCarthy coming off, forced subs limiting any chance to change stuff really around and our legs collectively going the last 30, last bit exasperated by the first two.

Scary that we can blame losing McCarthy as a reason though, most, myself included didn't and don't think he's good enough so what's it sat about the rest, gueye aside who yet again shone amongst the turds.

Bad overhaul needed, and Ross... what to say, there's some player in there but don't think he'll ever show it at us, or maybe anywhere now, biggest waste of talent I can remember seeing with the lad now.

Of course it can be!

All that matters is where you are at the end of the season.

Im getting sick of people saying "oh its Ok we are (insert number) points off (insert position). At this point it really doesnt matter as any club in the league can say that.

Fact is we are absolute garbage. Cant keep a clean sheet, cant score.

I'm not saying it's okay, at all. I'm as worried as anybody else.

But I'm not wrong it what I am saying either. There are 11 teams currently worse than us.

There are 8 teams better than us.

That is looking at the season on the whole, counting the 16 games played so far.

I'm not saying it's okay, at all. I'm as worried as anybody else.

But I'm not wrong it what I am saying either. There are 11 teams currently worse than us.

There are 8 teams better than us.

That is looking at the season on the whole, counting the 16 games played so far.

Thats way too simplistic though.

Put it this way, I wouldnt bank on us to beat anybody right now.

Lost the game as a combination of McCarthy coming off, forced subs limiting any chance to change stuff really around and our legs collectively going the last 30, last bit exasperated by the first two.

Scary that we can blame losing McCarthy as a reason though, most, myself included didn't and don't think he's good enough so what's it sat about the rest, gueye aside who yet again shone amongst the turds.

Bad overhaul needed, and Ross... what to say, there's some player in there but don't think he'll ever show it at us, or maybe anywhere now, biggest waste of talent I can remember seeing with the lad now.

One thing with Ross is, he's so much better in a three - and so are we fgs.

I was worried at the start as straight away Ross went to play as a 10, with Macca and Gueye behind.

But, after 5 minutes, it was actually working, as we were pressing really well and closing down the space.

And in fairness, even in that 10 minute spell in the first half that Liverpool had, Barkley did drop in to make it a flat three.

The turning point was McCarthy, and like you, it worries me greatly that a player we had all written off, can suddenly hold the key to us playing how our manager wants to play (funny how the only person who seemed not to have written Mac off as an Everton player was Koeman himself!).

Shows the lack of depth (should Davies be in, at this point we can't tell, but would it hurt?), but also shows the lack of bottle from the rest.

Everton always used to shine against the odds, but we've lost that so much since Martinez's time here.

I'm not blaming Martinez for that, Moyes was as bad at bottling, and Koeman didn't help himself last night either.

If we finish lower than we did last year mate, and we've had significant funds spent in January, I think he would struggle.

We needed improvement, and we are still on course for this.

Our form has been awful for three months though, two wins in 12 is dire. Really, really bad.

Massive three games coming up now before the start of the window, and we need to have 2 players in by the FA Cup game IMO.

I just reckon he's getting a free pass this season regardless, unless we get dragged into a relegation battle which I can't quite see happening. So much deadwood though, can't see the actual players for the deadwood.

DCL was brought on to hope to Nick something on a set piece I think mate.

It worked against Arsenal Stevon, but as I said Koeman should have recognised the state of play.

Against Arsenal, C-Lewin (his name is too long ffs) floated in and helped Rom out, but we were on the front foot, pressing high.

Yesterday all the lad could do was drop wide as Liverpool were slaughtering us.

Pretty much all this.

And our keepers are just the actual worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back