Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
First five games of the season and the record start for Koeman: which players achieved that? The ones he received from Martinez/Moyes era.

They still had the ability to get on the ball and find feet...Koeman has now instructed them to forget all that and hoof the ball as far downfield as possible.

Dont blame the poor job on the tradesman's tools; it's the tradesman who is to blame.
If you recall after the Watford game,Koeman specifically criticised them for not playing the ball out from the back. From this and other comments it suggests that this is closer to how he wants them to play. I still maintain that the transfer policy of Martinez laid the foundations of the dysfunctional team we are now witnessing.
Koeman has to sort it out and he has made decisions I as a fan disagree with, most recently bringing Barry on for the injured McCarthy was disastrous.

I'd give him another two windows and this time next season to improve things drastically. I think he or anyone else deserves at least a season or so to prove themselves.

However, I refuse to be told that Koeman is on track or making anything other than an utter balls up of this team as things stand. I and others know what we see: a hopeless hoofball strategy conducted by a man who fails to accept his responsibility for it. This is his watch now and it has been for 6 months. He's had time enough to get on top of things. He has to be judged on his own merits in terms of how he integrates his own signings with what we had before he arrived. IMO, he's done an absolutely shocking job.

...I think this is fair enough. I admit to not being convinced, decisions like bringing on DC-L on right side midfield on Monday are odd, as was the balance on the bench but I accept change comes with angst and disappointments. I hope we see signs in this window of what RK is aiming for and we should have more idea by this time next season.

I would disagree with the hoofball 'strategy'.

A very reasonable approach.

But I tell you this, gentlemen.

If this slump is not arrested and we go into March knee deep in the relegation dogfight as a consequence then all bets are off IMO and the club would need to be ditching him in the hope another person in charge could gather some momentum.

Last edited:

End of next season to improve on THIS!

Pfffttt!
Dave if - and I appreciate its a huge if - Koeman is given 40-50m to spend in January - and there is no improvement on league position from last seasons 11th, would you then advocate cutting him loose for fear of allowing him to mismanage any transfer budget in the summer?

Dave if - and I appreciate its a huge if - Koeman is given 40-50m to spend in January - and there is no improvement on league position from last seasons 11th, would you then advocate cutting him loose for fear of allowing him to mismanage any transfer budget in the summer?

This is my big fear, Kev.

If this hypothetical £40/50 million was wasted on more dross like Bolasie we are in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back