Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you recall after the Watford game,Koeman specifically criticised them for not playing the ball out from the back. From this and other comments it suggests that this is closer to how he wants them to play. I still maintain that the transfer policy of Martinez laid the foundations of the dysfunctional team we are now witnessing.
Koeman has to sort it out and he has made decisions I as a fan disagree with, most recently bringing Barry on for the injured McCarthy was disastrous.
That's just trying to make a story fit reality.

Never in all of Martinez's tenure here at Everton was his transfer acquisitions all told ever seen as a problem...hence he was battered for 'not getting the best out of this squad'. By and large the good purchases outweighed the bad, and he brought on young talent already here.

Let's just stop giving Koeman excuses he does not deserve: he's not coached a good and large first team core of players and he's only made one decent purchase himself.

A very reasonable approach.

But I tell you this, gentlemen.

If this slump is not arrested and we go into March knee deep in the relegation dogfight as a consequence then all bets are off IMO and the club would need to be ditching him in the hope another person in charge could gather some momentum.
I dont think that's likely, tbh. He'll get money in January (presumably) and this league is so poor beyond 6 teams that we would have to have the worst possible second half of the season imaginable.

He may spend 40-50m on players in Jan. He spent 40-50m on players in the summer and nothing has happened. That will be 100m for no return whatsoever.

Yes he spent the Stones money but then I won't just write him off after 6 months. In the end you need money to add quality to the team. And the season is finished in May.

The last manager had £16m net per season he still got 11th and 12th.

I dont think that's likely, tbh. He'll get money in January (presumably) and this league is so poor beyond 6 teams that we would have to have the worst possible second half of the season imaginable.
Dave mate you've said a lot of rubbish about moshiri too , the club has loads to do rebuilding on and off the pitch , I do get some of your points I really do , but some I really disagree with . Everton FC at the moment is a really big project on and off the field matey they need more time more of koemans players

Yeah, outstanding given the fact that we dont play out from the back and get most of the team at all times behind the ball, isn't it?

Hurrah - three less goals conceded than over the same period last season. What a leap forward we've got defensively to make up for the fact we have ZERO ATTACKING THREAT anymore.
Davek mate I wasn't having ago at you about that I admit it's disgraceful

Can we just write this season off, blood as much of the youngsters and promote unsworth, I would prefer this than seeing koeman buy hand me downs from man u and short term crappiness like bolasie (not dissing him he done well but come on)

Sigh just very miserable and dull days for Everton fans

A very reasonable approach.

But I tell you this, gentlemen.

If this slump is not arrested and we go into March knee deep in the relegation dogfight as a consequence then all bets are off IMO and the club would need to be ditching him in the hope another person in charge could gather some momentum.

...yep, I thought about this after @The Esk posted the other week mentioning the plan. If I recall rightly; season 1 was progress, season 2 EL qualification and season 3 Champions League. I was going to ask what happens if the season 1 target fails. After 10 games I think we could say we were progressing from a points perspective even if performances were poor, but since then the return has been very poor.

I wonder if some of the impatience with Koeman is the fact that it seems to be a short-term stopgap. Everything about his demeanor as well as the general assumptions around his move from Saints makes it seem like he's been brought in to steady the ship and get us on an upward trajectory for the real future manager to come in.

Thing is, when you're a short term solution, people expect quick results. When you don't layout a vision for where you plan to be, the expectation is that you hit the ground running with results.

I have no idea if Koeman actually sees us as a stepping stone, or if we see him the same way. But the appearance is that we see each other as a means to an end. It doesn't really matter if that's the case from a pressure standpoint.

Martinez got a little more patience because he clearly had a plan (it was not a good plan, as it happens), and then got a LOT more patience due to that first season. It's no surprise that people are turning on a 'stopgap' manager that isn't getting results quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back