Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously Joseph, time for bed now. That or back to the Joel thread.
I went to bed my blood sugar was way too high last night because to get the potassium out of my blood they used the wrong medicine on a drip and a nebuliser which for a non diabetic was ok but for me sent me on one - sorry mate feeling better this am blood sugar lower now ;)

you've always come across as a jovial bloke, but more recently I'm detecting you're a bit cranky . Everything ok?

fwiw, I am on the fence re Koeman. A good first season considering the mess he inherited (particularly as concerns player headspace/mentality, but also to a degree the mish mash personnel [aka deadwood])
Excellent home record, pretty dire away record and egregious Cup performances

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the upcoming window and season will lend far greater objective analysis of his managerial wherewithal
Not been well just came out of hospital today feeling cranky sorry;)

Did OK for me.

A lot of us said it was a 60 point squad that was being mismanaged.

A competent manager has come in and got us fit and better organised.

I'm still not really detecting what his style is.

Looking at the stats we really benefited from an on-fire striker as the volume and quality of chances we created weren't great.

The other, really worrying, stat I've seen is that we had by far the fewest number of players who took more than 20 shots in the season (basically Rom massively far ahead then Ross/Kev with lots of shots but of poor quality). Most teams had at least 5 players and the top had 7-8 with this type of output. Lose Rom/Ross and we'll need an entirely new way of getting goals.

Did OK for me.

A lot of us said it was a 60 point squad that was being mismanaged.

A competent manager has come in and got us fit and better organised.

I'm still not really detecting what his style is.

Looking at the stats we really benefited from an on-fire striker as the volume and quality of chances we created weren't great.

The other, really worrying, stat I've seen is that we had by far the fewest number of players who took more than 20 shots in the season (basically Rom massively far ahead then Ross/Kev with lots of shots but of poor quality). Most teams had at least 5 players and the top had 7-8 with this type of output. Lose Rom/Ross and we'll need an entirely new way of getting goals.
thats a very fair analysis if we lose our main stars that's when to judge RK!

I think RK found the first half of the season a steep learning curve.

He found the first team squad was poorer than he thought and he found the academy better than he thought.

We saw Kone, Oviedo and Cleverley all getting game time, we saw Jagielka struggling for form and McCarthy struggling for fitness.

We saw in January what he thought of the squad he inherited when something like seventeen players left the club even though it left a dangerously thin squad to finish the season.

Taking these things into account plus injuries to Bolasie and Coleman to finish seventh has been acceptable.

I also think that Koeman managed the team different than he would prefer, based on the players we had. From what he has said he prefers a more free-flowing and aggressive style, but he saw our deficiencies and changed things up for results. That was my main criticism of RM, his refusal to change what wasnt working.

I think with a few players in, we may see a very different style of play. Overall, good first season, straight to europe and for most of the season played at CL level. Just too many poor games in 2 main stretches to make it.

Be fair.

We were in shocking condition last summer. Koeman has come in, looked at those who we've all known weren't good enough and shipped them off.

He has brought in what appears to be a good set of performance coaches, we look fitter than we have for years and not shattered with twenty to go.

We've gone from being a side with no urgency or intention to put the opposition on the backfoot to doing just that, especially at home.

We've only lost two home games in the league, to a team a class above ANYONE in the league and to a last minute rebound off the post.

We've brought in a better quality of player. (Snides)

We've been 10x as resolute defensively than last season, is it perfect? no, but things take time.

-

Also we have a manager who will change things early on if absolutely neccessary. Koeman is a winner, he wont settle for the horrendous away form and you can gurantee in each discussion with each player he shows an interest in, he will be thinking will they turn up every game, not just at Goodison.

Bottom line: He's had a very strong start / first season as boss. He clearly has a higher standard of quality/expectation than all three of the previous regimes in my lifetime (Smith, Moyes, Martinez) and we will see the benefits of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back