Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't someone mention that Cleverley was not exactly 'getting' Everton at the moment? To put it nicely.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate, considering the hate campaign directed at Tom

Remember when people who "knew" Osman were saying he was out at the pub every night and getting into trouble, when no such proof was available?

People will find reasons to attack players they don't like and, if they can't find them, they're normally not above creating those reasons instead

Good article

Koeman feel the noise…it’s well deserved…
Date published: Thursday 15th September 2016 7:56

Ronald-Koeman-Romelu-Lukaku.jpg

Against Tottenham, Ronald Koeman was missing Romelu Lukaku, Seamus Coleman and new signing Ashley Williams and yet somehow – largely thanks to the ridiculously impressive Idrissa Gueye – Everton held on for a point against Tottenham.

Against West Brom, it took 38 minutes for Koeman to sacrifice James McCarthy and his original 3-5-2 formation, changing the game with the introduction of the now-fit Lukaku.

Against Stoke, he integrated new signings Williams and Yannick Bolasie and produced a dominant performance not reflected in the 1-0 scoreline.

Against Sunderland, he took off the wasteful Ross Barkley after 45 frustrating minutes and brought on Gerard Deulofeu; Lukaku then scored three times in 11 minutes.

Proactive, decisive, adaptable. You cannot imagine Koeman watching Wayne Rooney drop deeper and deeper before throwing up his hands and saying ‘what can I do?’. He would change something, make a decision, manage. After all, that should be the least anybody should expect from a manager; the clue is in the job title.

Throw in some sensible words to the complaining and previously over-indulged Barkley (“You can’t point your finger at somebody else”), first-team opportunities for teenagers Mason Holgate and Tom Davies and the rejuvenation of Gareth Barry against all expectations, and there is an awful lot to admire about the Dutchman’s first months at Everton.

‘What is Gareth Barry’s Everton role under Ronald Koeman?’ asked the Liverpool Echo in July, worried about the likely arrival of Gueye; three weeks later they were carrying quotes from a smitten Koeman saying that Barry was one of the cleverest players he had ever managed. We may never know whether Koeman initially saw the 35-year-old Barry as integral to his Everton side, but having seen him in partnership with Gueye when his hand was forced by injuries, he was happy to mount this particular horse and get comfortable.

Right now the results are outstanding. Everton have ten points from their first four games for the first time since 2006/07, when Lee Carsley, Phil Neville, Mikel Arteta and Leon Osman played in the most central of midfields. He has somehow managed to square the circle, increasing both pass completion and tackle rates; the pragmatic David Moyes and idealistic Roberto Martinez would have him burned as a witch.

There will be darker days, largely due to an over-reliance on Lukaku that means they are only one injury away from Enner Valencia or Arouna Kone, but Everton fans can face those darker days with an optimism that had ebbed away under Martinez. As I wrote in January, ‘it takes a rare and excellent manager to find a way to solve problems of his own making’, and Koeman did exactly that time and again at Southampton. While others floundered or simply preached “more work on the training ground”, he looked for solutions and found solutions in changed formations, fringe players, more direct tactics.

We have already seen a snapshot of that flexibility at Everton and it has been equally as impressive as Guardiola’s transformation of Manchester City. Jurgen and Jose might make more headlines but Ronald and Pep are quietly doing a rather excellent job.

The reporter who wrote that will be front and centre plunging the knife in if it goes arse up.

It's that a no then? Good lord you are some odious tits. Apologies for not following every word and question asked from half a world away and was genuinely wondering if he was questioned his thoughts.

It's that a no then? Good lord you are some odious tits. Apologies for not following every word and question asked from half a world away and was genuinely wondering if he was questioned his thoughts.

I think people thought you was having a pop mate.

Theres no need for them to ask him questions regarding the window anymore, he answered most of them last week.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman has hinted that he is happy with the club's summer signings despite missing out on Moussa Sissoko on transfer deadline day.

The Toffees brought in three high-profile signings in the shape of Yannick Bolasie, Ashley Williams and Idrissa Gueye, and Koeman has stated that he is pleased with the shape that he now finds his squad in at the start of the new Premier League season.

"Overall [the window was] positive, because we signed some good players," said Koeman, according to BT Sport.

"Of course, we had a disappointment on the last day, but that happens in football, because you don't get always what you like to have.

"It was not in our hands with Sissoko. He chose finally a different option, but I can't say anything against the club, the board, the chairman, because we did everything to get the player."

I think people thought you was having a pop mate.

Theres no need for them to ask him questions regarding the window anymore, he answered most of them last week.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman has hinted that he is happy with the club's summer signings despite missing out on Moussa Sissoko on transfer deadline day.

The Toffees brought in three high-profile signings in the shape of Yannick Bolasie, Ashley Williams and Idrissa Gueye, and Koeman has stated that he is pleased with the shape that he now finds his squad in at the start of the new Premier League season.

"Overall [the window was] positive, because we signed some good players," said Koeman, according to BT Sport.

"Of course, we had a disappointment on the last day, but that happens in football, because you don't get always what you like to have.

"It was not in our hands with Sissoko. He chose finally a different option, but I can't say anything against the club, the board, the chairman, because we did everything to get the player."
Thank you. Never saw this.

Sorry mate. I didn't intend to come across as an odious tit. I thought you were just being a bit of a moaning cynic.
RK was last week asked the question you posed .I'll hunt down the transcript/link for you

Last edited:
There is a school of thought that you can't upset modern day prima-donna millionaire footballers, but overall, clarity and honesty are good for people both individually and in teams.

Very few managers can get away with it......even Mourinho lost his authority at Chelsea last season.

Koeman is one of only a handful of genuine, world class international superstars of the game and his name alone commands respect among his millionaire players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back