Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't. He said we spend £140mill to challenge for a top 4 spot.

He's not wrong.

But Koeman doesn't believe so, so here's to hoping for that 7th place trophy.

Sorry but I don’t get that we should be getting top 4 because we spent a lot.

Did the big teams not already have multi million pound squads? Did most of them not spend loads in the summer too? Did they lose all their expensive players and me not realise?

We purely played a little bit of catch up. And will still be playing it for a good while yet.

Did the big teams not already have multi million pound squads? Did most of them not spend loads in the summer too? Did they lose all their expensive players and me not realise?

We purely played a little bit of catch up. And will still be playing it for a good while yet.

No, but that will always be the case. Bottom line, you can spend billions but with the wrong manager you can still not reach where you want to do. How managers did City plough through to win 1 trophy - 3?

And getting top 4? Maybe not. Competing? Yes. Moyes did it. Martinez did it once. Not one of them spent what Koeman has.

You compete until someone drops the ball and you capitalise. Leicester did it. Spurs did it when United, RS and Arsenal were in flux. None of them have out spent the big 4.

Koeman comes across like he could spend and spend but still not progress to being a winner because of how negative and egotistical he is.

No, but that will always be the case. Bottom line, you can spend billions but with the wrong manager you can still not reach where you want to do. How managers did City plough through to win 1 trophy - 3?

And getting top 4? Maybe not. Competing? Yes. Moyes did it. Martinez did it once. Not one of them spent what Koeman has.

You compete until someone drops the ball and you capitalise. Leicester did it. Spurs did it when United, RS and Arsenal were in flux. None of them have out spent the big 4.

Koeman comes across like he could spend and spend but still not progress to being a winner because of how negative and egotistical he is.

If you watched Koeman's presser yesterday, he explained it.

In fact, I think his 'closing statement' on it was:

'If there's one person who has ambition in football, [it's me]. But I am also realistic. And sometimes being realistic is difficult'

Nail on head in many areas though

It's not though.

It's eradicating the fact that Koeman said throughout the summer that if we wanted to compete at the very top we needed at least a striker in.

Without that player our top four chances have taken a serious hit.

Yes, the tactics in the last few games haven't been up to scratch and Koeman will know that.

But not getting a striker is a huge oversight on the board's part. For whatever reason, it doesn't matter. We had enough time to get a huge list of 'replacements' for Rom and to not get one in is ridiculous.

It's not though.

It's eradicating the fact that Koeman said throughout the summer that if we wanted to compete at the very top we needed at least a striker in.

Yes, the tactics in the last few games haven't been up to scratch and Koeman will know that.

But not getting a striker is a huge oversight on the board's part. For whatever reason, it doesn't matter. We had enough time to get a huge list of 'replacements' for Rom and to not get one in is ridiculous.
A large part of the piece focuses on letting lukaku go without finding a replacement. It refers to spending too much time trying to get the Sig deal over the line. It also refers to having no plan b in respect of giroud.

I agree we should be closer than we are right now. But it's like 5 games into the season. Doesn't change the fact we could have spent £240m this summer and we'd still have miles to go to be closer to Spurs, City, Chelsea and so on.

People need to be more patient. Of course criticise him for our start. It's been woeful. But people have been saying we should, not competing for, SHOULD be in the top 4 having spent some money. I don't get or see that at all.

As for the 'egotistical' comment. That's laughable. But i'll let it go.

Oh good. Someone else saying we should have replaced Lukaku.
friends004.gif

4 if the top 6 from last year spent more than us. Lukaku was never going to be replaceable just like Bale wasn't and I doubt he would have been sold if we could have kept him. Whoever is responsible for a replacement should be under the spotlight.
So far Koeman has not done much less than meet expectations.

It's not though.

Obviously not getting a striker is massive Toff, saying that though, and it's actually quite worrying, we're not creating hardly any chances what's so ever in games, even without an out and out striker we should be creating way more chances than we are, our shots on target stats ( even shots off target ) is absolutely woeful.

Another thing that baffles me is mate, in the Summer you would imagine Koeman sat down and said to himself "This is how I want to play, and these are the type of players I need" then for some reason done a list of players where most of them are too similar, and as we've now seen, Koeman is trying to shoe horn these players in all over the gaff.

Last edited:
A large part of the piece focuses on letting lukaku go without finding a replacement. It refers to spending too much time trying to get the Sig deal over the line. It also refers to having no plan b in respect of giroud.

My bad - I meant as in, claiming that is on Koeman.

It isn't/wasn't. That needs to be made clearer.

Koeman's at fault for his tactics, like.

Obviously not getting a striker is massive Toff, saying that though, and it's actually quite worrying, we're not creating hardly any chances what's so ever in games, even without an out and out striker we should be creating way more chances than we are, our shots on target stats ( even shots off target ) is absolutely woeful.

Another thing that baffles me is mate, in the Summer you would imagine Koeman sat down and said to himself "This is how I want to play, and these are the type of players I need" then for some reason done a list of players where most of them are too similar, and as we've now seen, Koeman is trying to shoe horn these players in all over the gaff.

I do think Koeman has an idea of how he wants to play mate, but it's just not clicking as of yet.

The worry is he hasn't yet figured out a plan B.

That being said, we haven't had the bets of games to try that out either, especially with so many new players.

So in the next three games we have to get the results and start to gel/formulate a few alternative ways of playing.

If you look at the signings of Pickford, Keane, Sandro and to an extent Klaassen.
These four were bought for the long haul, excluding a big bid from a better side or if they are just plain not good enough, they are here for 4-5 seasons atleast.
We need to understand this is going to take time, its why im not to furious about not getting another centre half in. We have a new keeper (pickford), a new/young right back (Martina/Kenny/Holgate) and a new centre half (Keane). I understand we havent been any good at the moment but if i was thinking at the begining of the season, i wouldnt want 4 of my back 5 (including keeper) to be brand new to the club.
Give Keane and Pickford time to settle and then look at someone like Gibson, so when he comes in Pickford & Keane are more comfortible in the side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back