Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watched Koeman's presser yesterday, he explained it.

In fact, I think his 'closing statement' on it was:

'If there's one person who has ambition in football, [it's me]. But I am also realistic. And sometimes being realistic is difficult'

I'm sure Hodgson has said he's "ambitious" at one point.

Saying and doing are two different things.

I do think Koeman has an idea of how he wants to play mate, but it's just not clicking as of yet.

The worry is he hasn't yet figured out a plan B.

That being said, we haven't had the bets of games to try that out either, especially with so many new players.

So in the next three games we have to get the results and start to gel/formulate a few alternative ways of playing.

Going to be interesting how Koeman sets - up against Bournemouth Toff, got to be more attack minded with his system.

I agree we should be closer than we are right now. But it's like 5 games into the season. Doesn't change the fact we could have spent £240m this summer and we'd still have miles to go to be closer to Spurs, City, Chelsea and so on.

People need to be more patient. Of course criticise him for our start. It's been woeful. But people have been saying we should, not competing for, SHOULD be in the top 4 having spent some money. I don't get or see that at all.

As for the 'egotistical' comment. That's laughable. But i'll let it go.

This will always be the case though until the manager gets it right on the field tactically, and buys right.

Spurs got close to the top side's who outspent them by getting in a very good manager, buying right. Their big £100mill splurge only paid off with 1 player - Eriksen for £13mill. Poch came in, add Ali (£6mill) and Kane (academy) into that, they're flying high.

That's the bottom line when it comes down to it regardless of funds. Good management.

This will always be the case though until the manager gets it right on the field tactically, and buys right.

Spurs got close to the top side's who outspent them by getting in a very good manager, buying right. Their big £100mill splurge only paid off with 1 player - Eriksen for £13mill. Poch came in, add Ali (£6mill) and Kane (academy) into that, they're flying high.

That's the bottom line when it comes down to it regardless of funds. Good management.

It's not the bottom line at all. There are a million other factors that go into it. Good management is a key factor of course. But to say it's the only thing is naive.

koeman isn't ambitious as he makes out, going away ( sometimes at home ) to the big teams is always the cowards way out, as many behind the ball as you can and try and nick a goal, that tactic works like once every 6 seasons

I half agree. It would have been nice to see us have a go at these teams, but we never do.

Having said that, had we gone to, say Chelsea, gone all out attack and lost 7-0 people would be equally as annoyed as they are now.

There's as much chance of us winning at one of these teams by being cautious as there is having a go.

But it would be nice to at least try the other way once. So we know for sure!

Be very interesting to see what line up he puts out tomorrow as I still think he does not really know his best starting XI at present.

Whilst I have advocated he knows what he is doing and was behind all of his summer purchases, I am starting to think he did possibly waste a bit of money with either one of Klaassen or Gylfi being surplus to requirements and that money would have been much better spent on another striker.

Not writing either player off, in fact far from it! I hope they both go on and shove everybody's words right down their throats.

But, he has some serious decisions to make tomorrow as it really is a game we must win to give everybody a lift.

Davies has looked good enough to keep his place. Does he go with DCL and Sandro up top and see if they can form a partnership? Is it too much throwing the likes of Kenny and Vlasic in a game we need to win to build some confidence in an easier run of fixtures. How will leaving Klaassen out affect his confidence?

Some really big decisions for fat head tomorrow.

I half agree. It would have been nice to see us have a go at these teams, but we never do.

Having said that, had we gone to, say Chelsea, gone all out attack and lost 7-0 people would be equally as annoyed as they are now.

There's as much chance of us winning at one of these teams by being cautious as there is having a go.

But it would be nice to at least try the other way once. So we know for sure!
It's about balance for me. I thought we approached the first half against City really well, keeping it tight but offering a genuine threat on the break. Unfortunately we gave up on that in the second half and retreated into our shell. United away last year was the same, and the way we played against United and Arsenal in Martinez's first year was perfect. It can be done.

It's about balance for me. I thought we approached the first half against City really well, keeping it tight but offering a genuine threat on the break. Unfortunately we gave up on that in the second half and retreated into our shell. United away last year was the same, and the way we played against United and Arsenal in Martinez's first year was perfect. It can be done.

The city game was a particular disappointment due to them being down to 10 men before half time. That is exactly the type of situation where you need to show confidence and put the onus on them, not the other way around.

Going to be interesting how Koeman sets - up against Bournemouth Toff, got to be more attack minded with his system.

Think he'll play 4-3-3 myself, with this:

Pickford

Martina/Holgate
Keane
Jagielka (personally I would have him in over Williams purely because he is quicker and B'Mouth have some pace up top)
Baines

Gueye
Schneiderlin
Davies

Rooney
Sigurdsson

DCL

I'd actually not mind that but would rather it be Gylfi in the midfield 3, with Davies pushing on almost as an auxiliary forward as he did against United.

Get him running 'in behind', Rooney dropping off and DCL as our focal point. Gylfi to be the 'playmaker' from a deep position.

That team has lots of energy in it and players who are a) confident (DCL, Davies) and b) can move the ball sharply and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back